What to Reissue Number Two

jonathanhorwich

I've got a DL of that Watts Savoy and would gladly buy a legit CD reissue.

That (and a  few others of the time) was part of a production deal that Dixon had with Savoy, correct? No telling what getting all the rights to all of them would entail, but a collection of Bill Dixon-produced Savoy sides would not be particularly cumbersome in terms of size alone, and would be a fantastic preservational entity.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

[A] collection of Bill Dixon-produced Savoy sides would not be particularly cumbersome in terms of size alone, and would be a fantastic preservational entity.

Four albums, as far as I know. For rarer Savoys, there is also:

56-joseph-scianni-with-david-izenzon-man

and

broken_jack_andthenis_101b.jpg

(I personally prefer Motivation to all of them. Well, I haven't heard the Brokensha ... )

The Scianni date is news to me. Its sure not like Izenzon was all that well-documented...

Would there be interest here in seeing Marion Brown's Impulse dates (GEECHEE RECOLLECTIONS, SWEET EARTH FLYING and VISTA) restored to wider ciruculation?

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

The Scianni date is news to me. Its sure not like Izenzon was all that well-documented...

Would there be interest here in seeing Marion Brown's Impulse dates (GEECHEE RECOLLECTIONS, SWEET EARTH FLYING and VISTA) restored to wider ciruculation?

All are currently available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Shepp-Vista-Marion-Brown/dp/B016CLQZ9U/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1450103848&sr=1-1&keywords=marion+brown

http://www.amazon.com/Geechee-Recollections-Sweet-Flying-Impulse/dp/B005J6Q9FK/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1450103848&sr=1-2&keywords=marion+brown

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

Well, heck, I'd not realized that series had continued into this material. Thanks!

Which is not to say that there's not also room to consider reissuing Amina Claudine Myers' Marion Brown recital, POEMS FOR PIANO.

http://www.discogs.com/Amina-Claudine-Myers-Poems-For-Piano-The-Piano-Music-Of-Marion-Brown/release/5784478

Joe, the latest Impulse 2 on 1 reissues:

Three for Shepp / Vista
Marion Brown

1984 / The Golden Flute
Yusef Lateef

Tauhid / Jewels of Thought
Pharoah Sanders

Thembi / Black Unity
Pharoah Sanders

Fort Yawuh / Treasure Island | 2CD
Keith Jarrett

Death and the Flower / Backhand
Keith Jarrett

New Grass / Music Is the Healing Force
Albert Ayler

Gypsy '66 / Spellbinder
Gabor Szabo

Out of the Cool / Into the Hot
Gil Evans

Passin' Thru / Man of Two Worlds
Chico Hamilton

Things Have Got to Change / The Cry of My People
Archie Shepp

Tranquility / Outertimeinnerspace
Ahmad Jamal

12 hours ago, Late said:

Four albums, as far as I know. 

Four, plus the Dixon-Shepp Quartet and the split LP with Dixon's 7-tette and the NY Contemporary Five. Dixon had a contract with Savoy but for a variety of reasons felt it worthy to give the remaining albums he owed to Savoy to his students, and take on a role as a producer (and in at least one case, arranger). I forget the whole story, but he discusses it in Dixonia (and elsewhere).

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Which is not to say that there's not also room to consider reissuing Amina Claudine Myers' Marion Brown recital, POEMS FOR PIANO.

http://www.discogs.com/Amina-Claudine-Myers-Poems-For-Piano-The-Piano-Music-Of-Marion-Brown/release/5784478

based on the one track I've heard, that is an excellent suggestion imho

On 11.12.2015, 00:52:20, Late said:

We can thank Orrin Keepnews for that, as he was the reissue producer for that disc. He did include the rare bonus track "Desolation" (from Tenor Stylings) at the disc's end, however.

I would assume that Keepnews wanted to do another album that would've contained the remainder of the session (plus Hotline, I guess). Same deal as with the Yusef Lateef "The Last Savoy Sessions" that never got its companion set (which, as the title indicates, was quite certainly planned at some point).

3 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Four, plus the Dixon-Shepp Quartet

Which still hasn't seen an official CD release based on the master tapes, right? All I see are questionable editions that seem to be sourced from the LP.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jonathan,

I really like the Clare Fischer Extensions release!  Quite actually, I discovered it while seriously discovering Clare's music for the first time recently.  His writing and playing are exceptional and I can identify with what he does.

Since JCOA was recently mentioned, how about reissuing music by Clifford Thornton, Sr.?  Like Gardens of Harlem or Kechaoua (BYG Actuel)?  Far too little of this man's music is available these days.

On 12/22/2015 at 6:19 PM, mikeweil said:

There may be the complete tapes of the Stanford performance that was part of Autumn, but no more studio material.

I once asked a personal source what the chances were of the "entire concert" becoming available and was told that the odds were good that Ellis was either the opening act or an earlier part of a package concert for that evening and as such were probably allocated 30 minutes or so. Factoring in for introductions and announcements and such, what's come out might be all there is. Too bad.

OTOH, this source was not speaking definitely, as he only had access to the Columbia vaults, not the Ellis or Stanford archives. So who knows for sure?

Either way, that's got to be one of the most explosive consecutive 30 minutes in big band history. If that's all there is, then we've been "blessed with a miracle" that it got recorded like it did.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I once asked a personal source what the chances were of the "entire concert" becoming available and was told that the odds were good that Ellis was either the opening act or an earlier part of a package concert for that evening and as such were probably allocated 30 minutes or so. Factoring in for introductions and announcements and such, what's come out might be all there is. Too bad.

OTOH, this source was not speaking definitely, as he only had access to the Columbia vaults, not the Ellis or Stanford archives. So who knows for sure?

Either way, that's got to be one of the most explosive consecutive 30 minutes in big band history. If that's all there is, then we've been "blessed with a miracle" that it got recorded like it did.

So I sought out the CD at amazon and read the reviews.  I saw the following in the "comments" section and thought it relevant to the above:

"Herb, this is Nick Di Scala. I had no hand in this release. In fact, I was not even made aware by Wounded Bird that they had secured the rights to it and were proceeding accordingly. I was surprised to hear that it had been released since the last time I spoke with them they didn't even have it on their "to do" list. 

That's too bad about the sound. I can let WB know, but hearing it directly from you (a customer) might have greater impact. Their e-mail is manager@woundedbird.com and the person to direct your concerns to is Terry Wachsmuth. I haven't heard the release yet. I'm a bit surprised to hear your comments though as WB has usually done a pretty decent job with any sound engineering they have done. (As I understand it, they usually don't do much re-engineering at all--only when necessary to bring it up to acceptable current standards.) I have the French CD release of this that was done many years ago. This must be the other version you are talking about, no?

I wish Terry would have consulted with me about this since there is interesting bonus material from the STanford gig as well as video available from a Tanglewood concert (mentioned in the liner notes) that would have made for a very value-added release. Well, it's out there now and due to the low profit margin of these re-releases I don't hold out much hope that the situation will be remedied. Maybe if you make enough noise they will do something about it. 

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help."

2 hours ago, LarryCurleyMoe said:

Hi Jonathan,

I really like the Clare Fischer Extensions release!  Quite actually, I discovered it while seriously discovering Clare's music for the first time recently.  His writing and playing are exceptional and I can identify with what he does.

Since JCOA was recently mentioned, how about reissuing music by Clifford Thornton, Sr.?  Like Gardens of Harlem or Kechaoua (BYG Actuel)?  Far too little of this man's music is available these days.

Good idea, but I've heard that the BYG catalog is riddled with legal problems. I wrote to Michael Cuscuna at least 20 years ago about reissuing the BYG recordings and that was his response.

2 hours ago, Eric said:

So I sought out the CD at amazon and read the reviews.  I saw the following in the "comments" section and thought it relevant to the above:

"Herb, this is Nick Di Scala. I had no hand in this release. In fact, I was not even made aware by Wounded Bird that they had secured the rights to it and were proceeding accordingly. I was surprised to hear that it had been released since the last time I spoke with them they didn't even have it on their "to do" list. 

That's too bad about the sound. I can let WB know, but hearing it directly from you (a customer) might have greater impact. Their e-mail is manager@woundedbird.com and the person to direct your concerns to is Terry Wachsmuth. I haven't heard the release yet. I'm a bit surprised to hear your comments though as WB has usually done a pretty decent job with any sound engineering they have done. (As I understand it, they usually don't do much re-engineering at all--only when necessary to bring it up to acceptable current standards.) I have the French CD release of this that was done many years ago. This must be the other version you are talking about, no?

I wish Terry would have consulted with me about this since there is interesting bonus material from the STanford gig as well as video available from a Tanglewood concert (mentioned in the liner notes) that would have made for a very value-added release. Well, it's out there now and due to the low profit margin of these re-releases I don't hold out much hope that the situation will be remedied. Maybe if you make enough noise they will do something about it. 

Sorry, I couldn't be of more help."

Well, hello!

YT Comment:

Hi Matt, Some time back I contacted Stanford to see if they had any archival recording. They couldn't find anything. I also haven't run across anything in Don's collection, though much of that is very disorganized and uncatalogued. Seems odd that they would record part of the concert and not the whole thing. There is more music from the 1st half (where this comes from): Variations, and Child of Ecstasy among the lot, which were later rerecorded in the studio. The second half of the concert included-

it might have been the only thing on the 2nd half-

"Enjoy, Enjoy" with the Stanford chorus. That's about all I know of the proceedings. Nick

Headquarters...DAMN!

This might have been the most "true believers" band Ellis ever had...I swear to god, these people got it, and Ellis, bless his soul, got them and let them run with it.I think they must have all been crazy, in the best way, and, especially, in the same way.

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

Headquarters...DAMN!

This might have been the most "true believers" band Ellis ever had...I swear to god, these people got it, and Ellis, bless his soul, got them and let them run with it.I think they must have all been crazy, in the best way, and, especially, in the same way.

Any thoughts on how to get the 'Autumn' CD at a sane price, not the $50+ that I am seeing out there?