2011 MLB Season

If the Yankees don't do something about their pitching, over the long haul, purely and simply, they are toast. You can't rely on the Bartolo Colons and Freddie Garcias of the world to get the job done. Ain't gonna happen. New York has maybe 1 1/2 reliable pitchers on any given day. That's it. Game over. Trust me. You do not win championships with those arms.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the clock had struck midnight on Colon awhile ago. Getting any useful production out of him this season is a bonus. Despite Rick Sutcliffe effusively championing Bartolo's adoption of the two-seamer, I think time (or the league, or his waistband) will catch up to him fairly soon. Enjoy what you can get out of him now.

Thanks to the Yankees for trading Zach McAllister to the Tribe for an Austin Kearns rental last year. Kearns is back on the Tribe bench at deservedly low coinage ($1.3M), and McAllister has improved. Last year at Scranton/WB: 8-10 with a 5.09 ERA, 165 H and 88/38 K/BB in 132 2/3 innings. It was his first season at AAA. Thus far this season at Columbus (AAA), 5-0 with a 3.09 ERA in 32IP. Terry Pluto suggests he could get called up at some point this season. I don't think anyone has too many hopes pinned on him, but another potentially useful starter is a plus.

So, what the preference here, old, past-their-prime starters with some savvy but probably not the stamina to last a full season, or a bunch of young arms with good-to-great great potential but wiggy heads and/or blistery fingers?

If those were my choices, I think I'd opt to be the Phillies...

If the time is now (eg 1995 with a Tribe staff headed by oldtimers Dennis Martinez and Orel Herschiser), go with the veterans. If it isn't, go with the kids. Right now, Texas is in that tough spot where you could argue either way.

Or be the Phillies. [...Still awaiting greatness from the Cliff Lee Philadelphia Quartet of Carlos Carrasco, Jason Donald (utility infielder), Lou Marson (backup catcher), and Jason Knapp (hard thrower starting A ball season). Carrasco has shown promise on the major league club this season.]

Didn't get to see too much of the 2nd part of the game (still going on now) but Ogando was missed, Bush shows that nothing named "Bush" in Texas is to be enjoyed, and Eppley finally looked bad.

More than anything, thouh, Ogando was missed. That lead would most likely have held with him in there.

Oh well. It didn't.

Any day when Derek Jeter finishes with a 4-6, 2 HR, 3 RBI line is a happy one in Yankeeland. Granderson knocked out his AL-leading 11th of the year, but perhaps more significantly, his fifth off a lefthander so far. At the Yankees' current HR rate, they'll finish with 273, which would break the 1997 Seattle Mariners' MLB team record of 264.

Dave James, you're right about the pitching, of course. Colon had three strong starts for us; hopefully yesterday was the inevitable bad game, but most posters over at Pinstripe Alley feel the same way, that he and Garcia are bound to run out of steam and that we'll be lucky to get 10 wins apiece out of them. I was heartened by Ivan Nova's performance the other night (though he was facing a Rangers lineup that lacked both Hamilton and Cruz), and A.J. Burnett seems to have stabilized somewhat this year, though he's had a good start every single season with the Yankees, so it may not say much about how well he'll pitch for the rest of the year. Hughes, of course, remains a huge question mark, and I don't think we have anybody in the minors, including the promising "Killer B's" prospects, ready to come up yet.

Anyway, glad we won today, as the Rays seem to have forgotten how to lose, and Boston once again appears to be getting its act together. Mark Feinsand in-game tweets:

Mark Feinsand

BloggingBombers

Two home runs for Jeter, a hit by Posada ... what in the wide, wide world of sports is going on around here?

Mark Feinsand

BloggingBombers

And now a Francisco Cervelli grand slam. Yeah, this game makes perfect sense.

Edited by ghost of miles

Didn't get to see too much of the 2nd part of the game (still going on now) but Ogando was missed, Bush shows that nothing named "Bush" in Texas is to be enjoyed...

Well, I see Bush gave up 2 earned in 4....not that good...

Cody Eppley in 1/3 of an inning gave up 6 runs, I guess that makes him Obama! :rhappy:

hey, He started it! :crazy:

No, it makes him Bin-Laden!

At least this time - the kid's been doing quite well otherwise. Another learning experience, hopefully, for another of the young arms that've been getting lots of them this season.

And about Bush (the pitcher) those 2 ERs in 4 IP don't show that he left the bases full in the inning that he gave those two up, so he was one (more) mistake away from at least 2 more.

Edited by JSngry

MIlton Bradley is a Mariner no more. :party:

I lost track-is that his 8th team? Million dollar talent anbd a ten-cent head.

Ding ding ding, you are correct, 8 teams. Remarkably only once has he managed to suit up for 140 games (even in those years where he played for 2 teams.) Baseball-ref has him making $35 million over his career, w/ $23 coming from Seattle. :rolleyes:

Wow...yet again a Rangers pitcher gets in a zone, then suddenly and totally loses it. To night it was CJ WIlson, two walks and a homer, all with two outs. To Mr. Wilson's credit he came right back and threw splendidly for the duration until the bullpen came in and took an immediate and massive STANKY shit over what was still a winnable game. (and fuck that bullpen, at least those of those prone to doing it, they dishonor all who play with honor)...how does this work, this total vacating of the pitcher's skill just long enough to do damage, and then, BAMMOP, it pops right back in again and takes up like nothing happened. How the HELL does that mess work?

No matter, Trevor Cahill pitched a bitch of a game tonight for the As. But it wasn't the one-sided asswhoopin' that the final will ook like, That's on the pen of bullshit. Check the pitching lines...

MIlton Bradley is a Mariner no more. :party:

I lost track-is that his 8th team? Million dollar talent anbd a ten-cent head.

Ding ding ding, you are correct, 8 teams. Remarkably only once has he managed to suit up for 140 games (even in those years where he played for 2 teams.) Baseball-ref has him making $35 million over his career, w/ $23 coming from Seattle. :rolleyes:

At least your M's didn't trade Andre Either for him like the A's did, I did love him in 06 and he was the only who showed up in the 06 ALCS but he went off the rails soon after. I think he needed a Frank Thomas type dad figure to keep him in line. Being out of the pressure of the bigs may help him, or not.

Edited by WorldB3

What do you want to bet Bradley doesn't have two dimes to rub together in five years?

But will he need them in prison?

Okay, that was a little extreme on my part. So where is Matthew? Still celebrating the news and too drunk to post? ;)

So yet again the Sox are a game under .500, with two to come against a slumping Toronto team and then three in a row at Yankee stadium. Can they crawl above .500 by then? Can they finally get above .500 and then stay there? I have my doubts but I am glad that Francona is treating it like an important series, lining up Buchholz, Beckett and Lester in NY. And if they'd manage to get hot and stay hot they could actually make a move, as they get Toronto, the Yankees and Baltimore while after the Red Sox series the Yanks play Tampa. If only they could take care of the teams they are supposed to beat ...

And fwiw, Crawford is beginning to hit and despite what certain people here have said, Beckett looks very much like the Beckett we've been hoping to see: 1.99 ERA now on the season.

What do you want to bet Bradley doesn't have two dimes to rub together in five years?

But will he need them in prison?

Okay, that was a little extreme on my part. So where is Matthew? Still celebrating the news and too drunk to post? ;)

I've been in meetings for the past week, but I was very happy to hear the news, though Bradley should never have been traded for in the first place, however, the long national nightmare is over. It is a sad journey for Bradley, and he will probably have regrets in his later years, the bottom line though is that he has no one but himself to blame.