2011 MLB Season

The Inner Colby Lewis did in fact stop by for a visit today, much to the delight of all. Negotiations to have him stick around for the rest of the season are reportedly underway, beginning with residual inspiration for Matt Harrison's start tomorrow after that wank outing last time out.

The Inner Colby Lewis is great fun, quality entertainment, and at a price you can afford. Ask for him by name!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unable to hit Giants pitching today or capitalize on so many walks and hit batters, DC falls to Saint Francisville. Saw Brian Wilson close against the Nationals and strike out our batter for the final out with the bases loaded. Enjoyable outing but disappointing outcome on a gorgeous spring day at the ballpark.

Papsrus, calling Papsrus--your Rays are on fire!

MartyJazz, this just in--Nick Swisher finally knocked his first one out of the ballpark.

And Bartolo Colon is looking to be the pickup of the year for the Yanks, right next to Russell Martin. Good thing, too, since Phil Hughes may be out for awhile... I wish some of the Yanks' "Killer B's" pitching prospects were ready to come up this year, but they're likely another season away at the earliest.

Been watching from the bleachers. They face Weaver and his 0.99 ERA Sunday though. Throwing the Durham Bulls' Alex Cobb out against him. Should be fun.

...I haven't caught one Mariner game yet.

They don't make it easy either. I tried tuning into the video via the free 2 weeks of mlb.com and got blacked out. For a game 3000 miles away? Whatever, at least they give me the audio on the iPhone app I paid for. If Figgins warms up & Ichiro & Smoak keep it up the team might just become entertaining enough to not be a complete waste of time.

How 'bout those Indians?

And they won again today.

Nice win for the Bosox today, esp. with King Felix starting for the Mariners. Too bad Wakefield didn't get the decision. Via Pete Abraham on Twitter:

Wakefield has started at least one game for 19 straight seasons. Only 14 pitchers in history can say that. None active.

And glad, of course, to see NY 16-9 and atop the AL East, but they've played 18 of those 25 games at home.

Good win over the Giants today! Wish we had had the timely hitting yesterday! Bad news about Ryan Zimmerman being out for surgery for at least 6 weeks.

Ivan Rodriguez is on some sort of defensive streak right now. It's almost foolish to try stealing bases against him.

The Dodgers are looking pretty scruffy right now, outside of Matt Kemp & Andre Ethier, no one can do anything with the bat. Ethier got his hit to continue his streak to 27 games, four off the Dodgers record held by Willie Davis. (Side note alert! The first big league game I ever went to was a 1969 Dodgers vs. Padres game in San Diego -- my father finally got tired of my whining and took me, we even had good seats behind the home dugout. That was the game that ended Davis' streak, he almost beat out a ground ball for a hit, but he was just out on the play. Al "The Bull" Ferrara hit a home run to win the game for the Padres, and I remember that Wes Parker was the most graceful thing I ever saw). The Dodgers really need to get Casey Blake back for his offense, but their pitching is okay, and if the Rockies ever slow down, the Dodgers might have a shot at the division. Now that McCourt is out of the picture, I can actually watch the Dodgers again without the need of taking a shower afterwards. I might even get to a game at Chevez Ravine this week, they're playing the Cubs, and it might be worth the long drive to see Dodger Stadium again, but $15.00!! for parking, that's more than the ticket I would get.

I've seen a 12-years-sober alcoholic fall (and subsequently stay) off the wagon in one afternoon, & I've seen Matt Harrison's last two starts. In terms of human tragedy, obviously the alkie gets the nod, but in terms of sudden, shocking, and disgusting deterioration, at best it's a tossup. Anybody who gets knocked out by the freakin' A's in the freakin' 2nd is freakin' LOST.

Harrison's next turn is Friday, against the Jack Yard Yankees, at Arlington, a Jack Yard friendly facility. If he don't get his head together (or at least find it to start getting it together) on or before then, look for him to be doing the post-game interview here...

slaughterhouse.jpg

How 'bout those Indians?

And they won again today.

Oh Yes!!! My expectations remain modest. Just enjoy the early success, see some of the kids improve, expect some bad luck, big injuries, and/or opponents figuring it out second or third time around the league. They then may fade, hopefully not all the way into the AL cellar. I will admit I'm watching more MLB Network than I thought I would.

Why the success? Hard to point at any one thing. Initially I was most impressed by the starting pitching, even with supposed ace Fausto Carmona alternating between stud and BP pitcher. Justin Masterson, the Big Masty, who took so long to get to 2 wins last year is locked in (...though not his best this afternoon). Josh Tomlin and Mitch Talbot, two soft tossers, have been solid (...though Talbot is now injured). Even Carlos Carrasco has had some decent starts [Note to MLB Network: I know it's the lowly Indians, but the dude's first name is Carlos, not Tony!!]. Carrasco is also now injured, so their prime pitching prospect Alex White debuted this afternoon, and pitched well for a debut. [boy does Miguel Cabrera just eat Indians pitching for lunch, ...dinner, and midnight snack! Manny Acta fears him.]

With exceptions of Chad Durbin and Joe Smith (I'm still not a believer), the bullpen of Chris Perez, Rafael Perez, Tony Sipp, and Vinnie Pestano has also been great. R Perez seems to have regained what he had lost the last season or two.

So I thought it was the pitching. But the Tribe are leading the league in batting. Grady Sizemore missed the first two weeks or so, but has been solid in his return from microfracture surgery (12 extra base hits in 11 games). Travis Hafner, who seems to have had shoulder problems for a year and a half, is crushing again (though now has a foot injury). Shin Soo Choo, arguably their best player, is slowly getting going. Carlos Santana, arguably their best young position player, is still around the Mendoza line, but raking at opportune times. Michael Brantley filled in well in the leadoff spot with Grady on the shelf, and now bats 7th. Matt LaPorta has shown flashes, and they have him in the low pressure position of batting 7th or 8th. Orlando Cabrera has been more than a good luck charm--he's showing leadership. Asdrubal Cabrera is finally healthy again and has a little pop in his bat. And the Indians are stealing by getting any production at all out of Jack Hannahan (and Adam Everett) at third (...keeping the corner warm for Lonnie Chisenhall). Though Hannahan does improve the infield defense substantially.

My folks now call me up within a few minutes of the end of a Tribe win (...much like what happened with the local NBA outfit for several years). Good times. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Curious about Class D ball from the Necciai post, I came upon this labor of love: http://minorleaguesource.com/total.htm

Amazing count of Class D leagues.

Baseball, thank goodness, looks/smells/plays pretty similar top to bottom as a sport and spectacle. We've been having fun the past few years watching the Cyclones in Brooklyn, I HIGHLY recommend minor league baseball.

The Texas Rangers as currently constitutionally constituted are not a serious baseball team (and by extension, quite possibly not serious human beings, but that's none of my business). At some point they are going to have to decide whether or not Lance Berkman was right.

Either way, fuck him. But If he was right, it's nobody's fault but their own.

Curious about Class D ball from the Necciai post, I came upon this labor of love: http://minorleaguesource.com/total.htm

I played Pony League ball in the Gladewater park for this league http://minorleaguesource.com/easttexas4950.htm or at least what was left of it.

My son & I were just discussing all this a few days ago. Thanks for this link, I'm sending it to him.

It is a very good team. But we had this game won, and just folded like the proverbial cheap suit, first to lose the lead, again to not get a run in in the 10th, and then to lose the game. Our pitchers have gotten into this really f-ed habit of going up 0-2 and then trying to get cute, next thing you know it's either a rope getting hit or a 3-2 count which too often ends up in a walk. The only ones you can currently hope for consistency from are Ogando, Eppley, and after today, cautiously, Holland. Everybody else, you can feel the struggle from the first inning on, and even when they do pull it together, they don't exude anything even remotely like the vibe that they'll keep it together, and lately they haven't. Beltre & Young (still an overall defensive liability when not DH-ing) are the only hitters who consistently deliver, although Murphy delivers well when he delivers. But Hamilton he is not. I'm a big Nelson Cruz fan but enough is enough, ok? Elvis is getting a lot better at the bat but his defense is starting to get weird, and Kinsler looks like he just don't give a shit right now. I like Torrealba as a staff handler & game caller, and his bat has come alive, but really, how long are you gonna count on that?

Somehow, after a fantastic but not unreasonable 7-0 start, his team has completely lost itself. I said earlier that they'd be lucky to be a .500 team by the end of the month. Hell, they'll be lucky to be a .500 team by the end of the week.

Jesus H. Christ. The Phillies starting left fielder Raul Ibanez went 0 for 4 tonight bring his season avg. down to .154!! He turns 39 one month from today and is making $11 Million this season. We are fucked.

Congrats!!! You are now a level 5 whiney ass baseball fan, the Red Sox level! :excited:

Last April, Ibanez hit .222 with one homer. .243 Pre all star break, .309 after the break. Few folks of any age in baseball work out as hard as he does. And players have actually been productive at that ancient age.

by the by, your fucked team is 18 and 9 and in a tie for first place. Without production from Left field. Without Chase Utley(who is supposedly going to start playing in games very soon)Without your closer.

So.Very.Fucked! :P