2011 MLB Season

Excuse me, we're whining because we remain under .500, with many unproductive waste products on the roster, in a division where the Yankees and Rays keep on winning games. I think J.H.'s whining is in a class by itself.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me, we're whining because we remain under .500, with many unproductive waste products on the roster, in a division where the Yankees and Rays keep on winning games. I think J.H.'s whining is in a class by itself.

To paraphrase Chevy Chase from the movie Caddyshack, "Don't sell yourself short, Dan, you're a tremendous whiner." :lol:

DC takes 3 of 4 with the Giants! Strong outing by Gorzelanny, and 6th save for Drew Storen. We have such a poor defense that it makes news when we go 4 straight games without an error.

Indeed. Caught the tail end of the last game. I thought they had no chance beating Lincecum and Bumgarner. Nicely played. Storen looks like a solid closer.

1st no-hitter of the year!

An ugly one with 6 walks and just 2 Ks. He's been wild all year and maybe that worked for him tonight (along w/ 3 DPs.) Still, for a guy who was supposed to be the 2nd coming of Santana something doesn't seem right with him. An odd thing to say after a no hitter (and more importantly, a 1-0 win), but he still has a ways to go to return to that frightening form of '06.

Two games, two days, two different teams, two leads promptly lost by the Rangers' bullpen, two games just as promptly lost by the Rangers' bullpen, two nice starts wasted, two chances to gain in the the division squandered almost literally intermediately.

This is not the way a professional team plays, not two days in a row against teams they should beat in games they should win, hell had won..

Oh, the men sure don't know, but the little girls they ALL understand....

wrestling_she_mad.gif

Which should be viewed as more exciting/encouraging for Sox fans?

• That they are 3-0 in May and might finally reach and surpass .500 if they keep playing the Angels?
  • That those three wins were in games started by King Felix, Jered Weaver and Dan Haren?
  • That Carl Crawford is 6 of 11 this month?

I actually vote for the last one, because getting Crawford on track and productive will do wonders for the offense, which has already seen Ellsbury, Gonzalez and Ortiz get hot, along with Lowrie continuing to get clutch hits. Hell, even if he gets hot I'd keep him down at the bottom of the lineup to act as a second lead-off man, regardless of how many millions he's getting paid. He's not a better #3 hitter than Gonzalez, or a better #2 than Pedroia, or a better #4/5 than some combination of Youkilis and Ortiz.

Werth returns to the Philly...

So would he be seen as an ingrate who followed the dollars out of town, turning his back on the organization that helped make him a star, even though the difference between what the Nats put on the table was so much more than any other team that it hardly qualifies as a decision at all? Or would he be remembered as a member of a team that won the division 4 straight years, went to the World Series twice, brought back the hardware once?

Mostly the latter. When he stepped to the plate in the top of the first inning, the boos first obscured the polite clapping. Then, as if realizing what was happening, the rest of the sellout began cheering, many of the fans on their feet, drowning out the backlash. Werth backed out of the box and raised his batting helmet in appreciation.

When he reported for duty in rightfield in the bottom of the inning, the fans in those sections greeted him with another standing ovation. He tipped his cap again.

Later, he talked at length about how appreciative he was, how touched he was.

"I think the fans loved me back for the most part," he said, maybe just a trace of relief in his voice. "I was happy to be back here and play in this stadium. It's an atmosphere like no other place. I think the fans welcomed me back, and I was grateful. I'll definitely remember that for the rest of my career.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20110504_Paul_Hagen__Werth_hears_it_from_both_sides_in_return_to_Philly.html#ixzz1LOJgWj1a

Jesus H. Christ. The Phillies starting left fielder Raul Ibanez went 0 for 4 tonight bring his season avg. down to .154!! He turns 39 one month from today and is making $11 Million this season. We are fucked.

Congrats!!! You are now a level 5 whiney ass baseball fan, the Red Sox level! :excited:

Last April, Ibanez hit .222 with one homer. .243 Pre all star break, .309 after the break. Few folks of any age in baseball work out as hard as he does. And players have actually been productive at that ancient age.

by the by, your fucked team is 18 and 9 and in a tie for first place. Without production from Left field. Without Chase Utley(who is supposedly going to start playing in games very soon)Without your closer.

So.Very.Fucked! :P

2nd best record due only to the fact that we had the easiest schedule in the majors - the Nats, Mets, Pads, Astros, D-Backs are not exactly playoff material. Are any of those teams playing .500 ball?? No. Ibanez is not going to regain the form that he had last season after the all star break unless he hires Greg Anderson. He turns 39 in less than 4 weeks. He's done. Utley is progressing but it's still uncertain when or IF he will be back. Even if he does make it back this season I don't think his body can take being an everyday player anymore.

Look, anyone who has watched the Fightin's this season know that they have a lot of question marks surrounding their hitting and bullpen. The Phantastic 4 are masking their problems - for now - but at some point the lack of hitting and miserable bullpen will catch up to them. The schedule is about to get a lot harder in May. So do we have a right to complain? Shit yeah. Am I giving up on my team a la the way a certain Red Sox fan in this folder did back in the first week of the season? Hell no. But as this team is constructed right now we are fucked. We will be lucky to sneak into the playoffs w/ this roster. Rube needs to get a bat or two and pray that Lidge and Contreras make it back if we are going to make any noise in October. So please do not promote me to level 5 just yet ;)

BTW, Cole Hamels is just plain NASTY.

Andre Ethier is out of the starting line up for this afternoon's game. I know "officially" that doesn't break the streak, but still, play the game guy! Jonathan Broxton supposedly has a bad elbow, he looked terrible last night against the Cubs, and Frank McCourt is shooting his mouth off all over L.A. sports radio -- The Blue is in bad shape right now.

Andre Ethier is out of the starting line up for this afternoon's game. I know "officially" that doesn't break the streak, but still, play the game guy! Jonathan Broxton supposedly has a bad elbow, he looked terrible last night against the Cubs, and Frank McCourt is shooting his mouth off all over L.A. sports radio -- The Blue is in bad shape right now.

Now see I think that his not playing today should "officially" end his streak.

Lost is all the grumbling about The Captain, no one seems to have noticed that A-Rod is hitting a sizzling .259, all of nine point ahead of Jeter. There's a lot of guys on this team who are underperforming. Hopefully, as the weather improves, the hitters will also heat up. If this continues into June, it's going to be a real problem.

Maybe this was the night where the weirdness stops...it started out like it wouldn't be Rangers get a quick two then give them back on a combination of bloops, broken bats, nothing hit hard, and here, tied right back up after 3, looking like another nightmare, here we go again, except---C. J. Wilson just ups and says that's enough, settles down and starts throwing ball. Like a band when the drummer finds his groove, the defense falls into place, Elvis & Ian start making those plays again instead of almost making them, everybody just looks better, feels better. We get two homes off that Pineda kid who looks to be one imposing mofo. Then the M-Pen comes in and is kinda not solid and we get another one, all the while in the meantime, CJ's retired the last 14 hea faced, a 125 pitch complete game, and damn if a quiet calm didn't descend over the Rangers with a placif 5-2 win that hopefully signals the beginning of the re-collection of the souls, spirits, and skills of a team that has been playing for too lon too belwo even its worst potential.

Colby Lewis tomorrow, How's that for putting the one game trend to a test?

Lost is all the grumbling about The Captain, no one seems to have noticed that A-Rod is hitting a sizzling .259, all of nine point ahead of Jeter.

Take a look at the OBP and SLG rates and you'll realize that the nine-point difference in BA hardly summarizes the difference between the two.

Not a bad game for the Rangers, even if the outcome was...Colby Lewis looked fine, pitched the whole game, was a little sloppy early on and gave up 2, which as it turned out was more than enough for the M's, but he tightened up and got stronger as the game wen on,just like CJ did last night. Problem was, Jason Vargas was on his game, big time, and kept Rangers hitters off balance all night long. That's the second game this season where Ranger batters have shown themselves highly vulnerable against not so overpowering stuff delivered with great precision and equally great smarts. Kudos to Mr. Vargas.

A second consecutive solid, not spectacular, start from a guy who last week was looking totally lost, the defense didn't look squirelly, the only thing missing was some offense, some runs, and a win. Can't get those every time out, though, and this was one of those games.

Still, the team is now in sole possession of 2nd place in the division (that sucks) and continues the 2011 20 Games In 20 Days Tour by flying back 17-15 for a trio against the Yankees, starting with Matt Harrison, who has been looking like Lewis was looking until Sunday, only much, much much scarier badder... I say the team is .500 or worse by the end of that series, which is follower by another 3-gamer with the Angels, then, finally, a day off. But just one.

Yankee fans get ready to feast on Harrison, for sure. And then maybe Holland, and then, maybe Ogando. Don't worry about your pitchers, the Rangers offense is not anywhere near in a groove right now.

In spite of all this, though....there are so many things about this team that are about ,,,this far from clicking and coming together, and when they do, they will be grand. And yeah, I'm saying when not if, because some days I'm an optimist, some days I'm a fool, and some days I know what time it is, and no matter which kind of day it is, when sounds right to me.

A couple of players with more RBI's than anyone on the Red Sox or Yankees...

39 Year old Chipper Jones (11 doubles, 3 HR's 23 RBI's, .286 BA) and of course...Jeff Francoeur! :blink: 8 HR's 24 RBI's, .305 B.A. (.346 OBP!)

Need I mention the braves connection??? Even former Brave Wilson Betemit, has 16 RBI's and a .324 BA.

Yankees need to give Andruw Jones more A.B's to get the proper Brave effect on the the Yankees...Red Sox need to make sure Salty gets more playing time, it's the Red Sox ONLY hope.