2011 MLB Season

Well, it took a batting order inspired by Seinfeld ( http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110510&content_id=18879516&notebook_id=18884820&vkey=notebook_tex&c_id=tex ), a 59 minute rain delay, some substandard (finally!) Oakland pitching, and some Getting More Towards His Inner Colby Lewis Than At Any Point Yet This Season Colby Lewis, but hey - the Rangers finally played baseball the way the Rangers should always play baseball - get good starts, don't expose the bullpen, and don't waste opportunities to score. Yeah, just use your talent better than the other guy's, because...it is, usually. Which is why it sucks when they don't.

Well, it was fun tonight, let's go again tomorrow and see. The Matt Harrison Traveling Psychodrama is a' comin' to town. P-nutz, popcohrn, and KRAAAACKKER JAAAAAKKK.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rangers looking at the outside chance of losing a 7-0 lead to...a rainout.

Matt Harrison's looking good, we got the 6 fairly quickly, would've been nice to stop there and get that 4.5 in before the storm, which could have been easily done, theoretically.

Oh well, it's a day game, so barring horsehead-sized hail and/or fatal tornadoes (always a possibility in an Arlington springtime), the game resumes at some point. Here's hoping Harrison stays sharp when it does, like the Approaching-Inner-Colby-Lewis Colby Lewis did last night.

Dammit...game called, Mitch Moreland's slam no longer exists. It would likely have been a much-needed two wins in a row before 20 Games In 20 Days finishes, and would definitely have been a huge boost going into the weekend series against the Angels.

In the meantime, the hardcore fans are really, truly pissed: http://www.lonestarball.com/2011/5/11/2166318/game-called-because-gerry-davis-had-a-plane-to-catch

Dammit...game called, Mitch Moreland's slam no longer exists. It would likely have been a much-needed two wins in a row before 20 Games In 20 Days finishes, and would definitely have been a huge boost going into the weekend series against the Angels.

In the meantime, the hardcore fans are really, truly pissed: http://www.lonestarb...-plane-to-catch

There's one comment there that I want to set straight: Joe West, has been, is now, and always will be, the worst umpire in baseball!

In the meantime, the hardcore fans are really, truly pissed: http://www.lonestarball.com/2011/5/11/2166318/game-called-because-gerry-davis-had-a-plane-to-catch

I feel your pain, man. That is a tough one to swallow; you guys had that game in the bag.

Well, not necessarily...I mean, hey, Matt Harrisson...you never know, literally, when it could all fall apart, and once you get to the middle relivers, all bets are off, but...yeah, this one was looking pretty good.

Hopefully, though, the momentum is not lost. We need to hurt the Angels this time around, and if the clicking is indeed beginning, that could well happen. Last go-round was pretty ugly.

It's already been a weird season, but it doesn't have to turn into a bad one, if you know what "i mean...

We shall see.

Yanks lose by a run in 11 innings to KC tonight. Jeter goes 0-6 lowering his BA from .285 to .271 in one game. Yankee pitching gives up just four hits and strikes out 12 Royals but manages do deal out 11 walks. I'll bet Joe Girardi is having a s**t fit.

More good news. Raphael Soriano will be undergoing an MRI on his shoulder by week's end.

What disappointed me most about tonight's game was the tremendous number of LOB we rang up (something like 35). KC managed only 4 hits to our 12 and still outscored us (we pulled 8 BB of our own, so the disparity there wasn't too bad); upsetting to watch us piddle away a game like that and waste another excellent start by A.J. Burnett. Outside of HRs, I'm beginning to wonder how truly mighty the Bronx Bombers' offense is this year.

Missed chances pile up in Yanks' defeat

Edited by ghost of miles

Oh, BTW, Mitch Moreland is gradually being revealed as being the real deal, one of those show-up-every-day-just-to-play-baseball-and-play-the-hell-out-of-it-no-matter-what type guys. Definitely.

Amazing, since he was probably 3rd on the depth charts at one time, correct???

Yep. Totally under all but a very few people's radar, even on the organization. Yesterday on the telecast, they were talking about how the night before, on some national sports talk station, there was a discussion about fantasy leagues and how nobody was even thinking of thinking about Moreland. Callins from across the land proved it.

So ok, fantasy baseball, fantasy sports in general, is not something to which I can even begin to relate or care about. But the point is, this guy is very quietly stepping up in a big way, in every way. Wash has had him go between first & right, I even think he's been in left once or twice, and the guy just goes out and plays, gives it all he's got and gets it done.

So yeah, Mitch Moreland!

Headline of the day:

Report: MLB looking into operation on Yanks' Colon

Trust me, guys, you don't want to go there...

Not...gonna...be a problem... :g

The last two DC games against Atlanta have been great for me! Tuesday we beat Tim Hudson, who has been very tough on us over the past few years, and last night we came from behind in the ninth inning to tie and went ahead with four big runs in the eleventh! Possible sweep if it works out tonight!

.500 ball at this point in the season is more than I expected.

Yep. Totally under all but a very few people's radar, even on the organization. Yesterday on the telecast, they were talking about how the night before, on some national sports talk station, there was a discussion about fantasy leagues and how nobody was even thinking of thinking about Moreland. Callins from across the land proved it.

A lot of the fantasy disinterest can be explained by:

1) He started the season batting 9th.

2) 1st base is loaded w/ talent across the league, so a 9th place hitting 1st baseman wouldn't garner much interest.

3) Lefties destroyed him, though this is a lesser point than 1 & 2.

Now that he's batting 5th because and getting more RBI chances, especially with Hamilton & Cruz down he's getting picked up. But because most fantasy players have their 1st baseman locked up (the big guys like Pujols, Cabrera, etc.) and there haven't been many 1st basemen injured Moreland is getting picked up to play the UTIL (aka DH) position.

Anyway, it's perfectly rational that fantasy players were slow to pick him up.

And now we return to regular baseball.

"rational" and "fantasy" used in the same linear thought...that's something I still need to work on doing... :g

Seriously, I really don't get fantasy sports, how they work or even what the appeal is. Strat-O-Matic was fantasy baseball for me!

But hey, different stokes and all that. Long as the real deal keeps going, I'm happy.

Seriously, I really don't get fantasy sports, how they work or even what the appeal is. Strat-O-Matic was fantasy baseball for me!

I preferred the old card games (I had Statis Pro and the SI/Avalon Hill All-Star Baseball Game) to fantasy since it involved more in the way of managing the game and strategy, plus good old imagination. But because of fantasy I know the Pirates infield, the state of the White Sox bullpen, you know, those dark mildewy places in baseball where people who don't have their team in that division know little about. I think this is a good thing, though seeing it in print I'm not so sure.

I avoided it for years until a friend who desperate for a 12th person the day before the draft begged me in such a pitiful way I was afraid he'd melt like the Wicked Witch of the West. I think success in the fantasy game has little to with real baseball as steals are too highly valued, and face it, wins are a dumb stat, so are saves, and ERA is strongly influenced by parks (and obviously AL vs. NL too.) But all that aside, it keeps one plugged into the whole league and not just your own team. And I won't talk about team unless someone else starts talking about his or her team first. :lol:

The last two DC games against Atlanta have been great for me! Tuesday we beat Tim Hudson, who has been very tough on us over the past few years, and last night we came from behind in the ninth inning to tie and went ahead with four big runs in the eleventh! Possible sweep if it works out tonight!

.500 ball at this point in the season is more than I expected.

Yeah, good for you and all that.... <_<

:P

Seriously, the Nats always play the braves like they are world beaters, than lay down (Lie down?) for the Phillies...please stop being patsys to the Phils at least! :angry:

If there's one thing you need from your pitching staff, it's consistency. Even if that means some of your guys are not all that reliable, you at least have a good idea what you can expect when they take the mound. That allows the manager some level of advance planning from a rotation/relief standpoint. Case in point is 3/5th's of the Yankee's current starting staff. After Nova's implosion tonight, in combination with Garcia and Colon, you're really talking about three total mysteries. The idea of New York making any post-season noise this year with that rotation is laughable, especially when your offense appears to be on semi-permanent hiatus. I guess I'd look for Cashman to make a big splash in July, no matter to what extent it denudes the farm system. You hear talk about King Felix, Liriano and other's availability, so I think if you're willing to pay the price, top level talent can be had. As we move closer to July, and things heat up, it should get very interesting.

Edited by Dave James

:P

Seriously, the Nats always play the braves like they are world beaters, then lie down for the Phillies...please stop being patsies to the Phils at least! :angry:

You're so right! Even worse, though, is how we do against the Marlins!

Looks like your team is spoiling things tonight with a grand slam in the bottom of the 7th. We're now in the 10th and I can't see us having enough gas to go all the way for the sweep.