2011 MLB Season

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad I won't be able to watch opening day against the Rangers - CJ Wilson is so tough against lefties (.400 OPS against!), and Francona is only sitting JD Drew instead of most of his lefties, just because its opening day. As some Globe writer pointed out, if this were a July series, McDonald would play for Ellsbury, Lowrie would play for Gonzalez, and Varitek would DH for Ortiz, in addition to Cameron playing instead of Drew. That's three guys in the lineup Wilson will probably make mincemeat out of. I don't need to see that happen live, even if I will follow the game at my desk. Best chance we have is if Lester decides to forget that its April and pitches like he can, and if Wilson is off his game a bit.

The Lefty thing is outta control ,Ellsbury,Gonzalez and Big Papi have had a field day against the lefties.

If Francona had put in Lowrie,Tek and McDonald we wouldn't have any runs.....what is up with the lefty thing ?

Fred Lynn always played against Lefties,Yaz always played against Lefties....why does everyone over think the

game of baseball now?

Just checked the Tribe/Chisox score. Palehouse winning 14-0 in the 4th inning. It's gonna be a long season...

It will be, but nice way to put a bit of scare by scoring 10 after being down like that. That's 3 1/2 games worth of runs for last year's M's.

The Lefty thing is outta control ,Ellsbury,Gonzalez and Big Papi have had a field day against the lefties.

If Francona had put in Lowrie,Tek and McDonald we wouldn't have any runs.....what is up with the lefty thing ?

Fred Lynn always played against Lefties,Yaz always played against Lefties....why does everyone over think the

game of baseball now?

Casey Stengal platooned. So did Earl Weaver. And many others. Nothing new about it. Just good old fashioned winning* managing.

*Winning in the non-Charlie Sheen sense. I think...

JULIO BORBON MUST DIE!!!

We do not wish death upon players on Opening Day. And in this post-"Gabby"-shot-in-the-head-we-shouldn't-use-ultra-violent-phrases world, please save death wishes upon players until oh, how 'bout May 5th at least? There are 161 games to go and the very best teams in history lose 50 if not more. So enough. Or else I'll go into George Carlin's "rather than kill the ump what if we replace kill with fuck" routine.

Sorry, but Borbon's act was one of the most blatant manifestations of a death wish I've ever seen, not just in sports, but in life. Let's take care of it now, get it over with, and then maybe the players can wear his number on their hat for the rest of the season and be motivated by that.

game of baseball now?

Casey Stengal platooned. So did Earl Weaver. And many others. Nothing new about it. Just good old fashioned winning* managing.

*Winning in the non-Charlie Sheen sense. I think...

Not only it is it winning managing, but the fact that a couple of lefties had hits doesn't say a damn thing about whether lefties should play or sit against a starter like CJ Wilson. Like I pointed out above, he allowed an OPS (On-Base Plus Slugging) of four-freaking hundred against lefties. Shitty hitters OPS .600. Papi OPS'd .599 against lefties last year, he was appalling, and he was 50% better than what Wilson allowed to lefties.

When/if Wilson plows through the lefty-heavy Red Sox lineup in October to put his team up 1-0 in the ALCS, you'll be whining about why all those lefties were in the lineup.

Braves are a sexy pick this year....a nice alternative to the Phillies or Giants.

Alternative....?

The Braves are always picked to win. The Giants are rarely picked to win.

BTW...have I mentioned that I hate the Dodgers? Grrrr :angry:

Edited by GoodSpeak

Encouraging start from A.J. Burnett today. Of course, when the Yankees are beating the Tigers like a red headed step-child, it probably takes a little of the pressure off, but I'm sure he's not complaining. New York is going to need a good season out of A.J. to have any kind of shot. Also like the fact that the bats are really alive, especially Texiera's. It would be nice to see him get out of the gates a little quicker this year.

An old fashion beat-down in LaLa Land: Giants win, 10 to zip :tup:lol:

I couldn't help but notice that, like last night, they invited a lot of empty seats to the game. A Saturday afternoon and the Dodger fans can't make it to the ballpark and support the oldest running rivalry in baseball? Really? :blink:

Edited by GoodSpeak

The Dodgers made no significant moves in the offseason. They're pretenders, not contenders, and LA fans know it. Andre Ethier's ready to abandon ship. At this point I'd love to see someone like Mark Cuban come in and buy the team--someone who really wants to win and is willing to bring in the personnel to get there.

As much as I like Dodger Stadium, they really need to improve the parking/traffic situation. If that means building a new stadium with more parking near a subway, it needs to be done. Hell, run a subway or monorail line into Chavez Ravine. It's a nightmare to get to the ballpark. The team needs a state-of-the-art stadium like the one in San Francisco. Maybe a new environment would help create a new culture of winning.

Edited by Noj

The Dodgers made no significant moves in the offseason. They're pretenders, not contenders, and LA fans know it. Andre Ethier's ready to abandon ship. At this point I'd love to see someone like Mark Cuban come in and buy the team--someone who really wants to win and is willing to bring in the personnel to get there.

As much as I like Dodger Stadium, they really need to improve the parking/traffic situation. If that means building a new stadium with more parking near a subway, it needs to be done. Hell, run a subway or monorail line into Chavez Ravine. It's a nightmare to get to the ballpark. The team needs a state-of-the-art stadium like the one in San Francisco. Maybe a new environment would help create a new culture of winning.

Good point. Though they showed in force on Thursday's opener. TBH, Mark Cuban would be a mistake. You guys already had one yutz in Rupert Murdoch.

When the Giants played at Candlestick the parking was a complete zoo; still is. One way in, one way out.

Geez. I took my son to a Niners game a couple years back, and I kid you not, it took us a full hour and a half just to get to the on ramp of the 101 Freeway. At ATT, surface transportation is the way to go.

I'll have to take you to a game one time, Jon. The Duke's Dodger Hater Weizenbock Beer is on me, OK? ^_^

Edited by GoodSpeak

Article in The NY Times on Bill White's new book, 'Uppity' - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/sports/baseball/03white.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=bill%20white&st=cse

I always wondered what the relationship between Bill White and Phil Rizzuto truly was - whether they were friends or whether Bill White just tolerated Rizzuto's nonsense. My questions were answered when I read the last paragraphs of the Times article:

White’s book, written with Gordon Dillow, is largely serious in tone — except when it recounts his 18 years working with Rizzuto, who frequently abandoned orthodox play-calling for absurd riffs about Italian pastries, his wife, Scooter Jr. and birthdays.

Frequently, Rizzuto abandoned White and Frank Messer to get home early.

“My voice teacher didn’t want me to have anything to do with him on the air,” said White, who added, “Obviously, I didn’t listen.” Instead, he said, he played off Rizzuto, cementing their partnership.

White writes about visiting Rizzuto, who died in 2007, in a rehabilitation facility. One day in 2006, he sat next to Scooter, who was having difficulty speaking.

“Instead, he held up his hand, and I took it in mine,” White writes. “For the next 45 minutes, we sat there, holding hands and saying nothing.” Then, he adds: “Two old men, old baseball players, holding hands in a sunbeam. I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry — but I’m pretty sure Phil would have wanted me to laugh.”

Tribe turn first triple play of the season--initiated by Carlos Santana playing first. Masterson looked like a major league starter, though almost nobody saw it at the Jake/Prog. [insert seasonal rant asking why baseball must be played on north coast in early April, and in Texas in August.]