2011 MLB Season

And hey Aggie, you're tied w/ the Red Sox thru 4 games. Bet you didn't imagine that! (Sorry to a few folks, couldn't resist.)

That must hurt for Red Sox fans! :lol:

I'm still in basketball mode after last night's Aggie championship, not ready for baseball (except Little League, where our team is half-way through our season already!)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dan. Red Sox and Rays are running neck and neck out of the gate! :wacko:

With Longoria on the DL, things ain't looking too good. I'm anticipating a first-to-worst year.

Its the only thing that's keeping me from seeking out the nearest bridge to fling myself from - if you believe the Rays will end of the third best non-division winner, then getting off to the same pathetic start keeps me on a somewhat even keel.

But Jesus Christ the way they are playing, the Indians will do their best "'1927 Yankees" imitation starting Tuesday and by the time the Yankees leave Fenway Sunday night they'll be six games off the pace.

And then you will see people lined up at bridges all over New England.

Can you win the World Series even if you never win a regular season game ?

Article by Pat Jordan in last Sunday's NY Times Magazine on the Phillies' first four starters:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/magazine/mag-03Phillies-t.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=pat%20jordan&st=cse

Thanks. I hadn't seen this.

Like this quote:

"He meant that today’s starting pitchers don’t need as many good pitches, or the Unfair One, to go seven innings as they do to finish to nine. It’s that third and even fourth time through the opposition’s batting order that dooms most of today’s starting pitchers. It’s something of a fallacy that today’s starting pitchers don’t complete games simply because they lack the stamina, or because teams fear injury. Starting pitchers today don’t have the quality or variety of pitches, the depth of talent, required to go nine innings."

The notion that today's pitchers "lack the depth of talent" seems a little counter-intuitive to me. I imagine it's more that pitching talent is coached more rigorously and required to think less and create less. Those with the pitching gift are told exactly which pitches to throw, how to throw them, and when to throw them. They're given a set number of pitches to learn to throw for strikes, and advised not to think/throw outside that box. Pitchers are aware of the value of their arms, and know they'll be out of baseball if they blow out their elbow. They're monitored for pitch count to avoid injuries, and coddled every step of the way. Heck, pitchers get taken out of no-hit opportunities to spare their arms. That never would have happened back then.

Mariners, Pirates, Royals, O's and even the Mets are playing winning baseball. I love early April! :)

For sure!!!

Melky Cabrera hitting .280, Jeff Francoeur .318...I am sure they will end the season with similar numbers! :crazy: Of course, not having Terry Pendleton as your hitting coach can only help...

I'll have to take you to a game one time, Jon. The Duke's Dodger Hater Weizenbock Beer is on me, OK? ^_^

If you're buying, I'm drinking. :lol:

We don't brew any haterade for the Giants down here. We just send cholos to hospitalize them. Kidding, in bad taste. :(

No problem, Jon.

They shot a Giants fan a couple years ago. At least this one is still alive.

Whoa I just read about this incident. Horrible.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/news/story?id=6297020

GOOD LORDY MERCY!

Beltre's bat is still sleeping (as is Hamilton's to a lesser extent), but the season's not even a week old yet & that glove is dazzling!

And Wash's "everybody will play" system for the everyday lineup is so far working splendidly. Still a long way to go, obviously, but any concerns about team chemistry due to off-season moves are so far looking wholly unfounded.

The Orioles are looking good so far, and they got Vlad now, so...look out.

Wow. Raphael Soriano had as bad a line tonight against the Twins as I can remember seeing. 2/3'rds of an inning, 1 hit, 4 runs, 4 earned runs and three walks. I'm not sure it can get much worse than that. He'd better be better than that in the long run. RIght now, he's clocking an ERA over 13.00.

Well, they took him out and it was 4-1, David Robertson gave up a bases clearing double....

Ya know... after the Red Sox lost to the Indians(The Indians?) last night to bring their record to 0 - 5 I was going to make a joke about no team starting the season 0 - 5 has won the WS that year to see if I could get a rise out of Dan. :) But as I read the recap of the Indians/Sox game I found out the reality is actually worse than I thought.

From ESPN....

Only the 1985 St. Louis Cardinals made the World Series after starting 0-4. Since 1995, only two of 128 playoff teams started 0-4, Cincinnati (1995) and Arizona (1999).

and

The Red Sox, Rays and Houston Astros are the 86th, 87th and 88th teams in the modern era of baseball (since 1900) to start a season 0-5. Only two of those previous 85 teams managed to make the postseason: The 1974 Pittsburgh Pirates and the 1995 Cincinnati Reds. In fact, those two squads actually started 0-6 before getting their first win. Using that piece of history at this point, 0-5 Boston, Tampa Bay and Houston have a 2.4% chance to make the postseason.

One glimmer of hope...

However, every World Series champion since 2000 has had at least one five-game losing streak with the exception of one -- the 2007 Red Sox.

I still think the Sox will make the post-season. Hell, somebody has to be the first team to go 0-5 and make the WS.

Much as it cheers me to see the mighty 2011 Bosox off to such a bad start, I figure they'll snap out of it just in time for the Yanks' visit to Fenway this weekend. Seems to me they're just getting their five-game losing streak out of their system early on.

Dave James, yeah, hated to see that one slip away against the Twins the other night... this year's bullpen should just about never blow a 4-0 lead going into the 8th inning. Not sure what was up with Soriano and the walks... last year he walked only 14 for the season and never more than two hitters in a single inning. Hopefully just an aberration. In better news, Mark Teixeira's hitting .333 with 4 HRs and seems to have put the kibosh on his April woes for this year; in not-better news, Derek Jeter's already dropped his re-tooled swing, and he and Brett Gardner are a combined 5-34 so far.

I'll have to take you to a game one time, Jon. The Duke's Dodger Hater Weizenbock Beer is on me, OK? ^_^

We don't brew any haterade for the Giants down here. We just send cholos to hospitalize them. Kidding, in bad taste. :(

No problem, Jon.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6297020

It's just sad what has happened to the Dodgers and the Dodger Stadium experience. I refuse to go to games in person anymore, the atmosphere is terrible, and most definitely, I will not go anywhere close to the left field bleachers, it is way too crazy out there. This once glorious franchise is being run into the ground by the McCourt's, and they could care less, all they want is to steal all the money they can from the fans, and Dodger funds -- I used to be a die hard Dodger fan, but after Murdoch and McCourt, count me out.

No problem, Jon.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6297020

It's just sad what has happened to the Dodgers and the Dodger Stadium experience. I refuse to go to games in person anymore, the atmosphere is terrible, and most definitely, I will not go anywhere close to the left field bleachers, it is way too crazy out there. This once glorious franchise is being run into the ground by the McCourt's, and they could care less, all they want is to steal all the money they can from the fans, and Dodger funds -- I used to be a die hard Dodger fan, but after Murdoch and McCourt, count me out.

It's even worse when those LF Dodger thugs come up to San Francisco during a Giants vs Dodgers game....like they own the place. One time at a sold out Giants/Dodgers game [i had SRO tickets] two heavily tattooed and completely drunk Dodger thugs followed me around ATT Park shouting obscenities and just spoiling for a fight. They are surrounded by a sea of Black and Orange and yet they acted like we were in freakin' LA. Amazing arrogance.

Kinda like Raiders fans only dressed in Blue.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I still like Boston going to WS despite what history says.

Me too, as long as they don't fire Francona if they get swept by the Yankees...

I hope this was the only time the Red Sox come to Cleveland ....

"The slate's not really clean," Boston manager Terry Francona said. "The record is what it is, but I don't want us to have a hangover. We need to pick it up. We're going to play a good team now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=310407105

Hey Soulstation, might be the one time this year you will have to strut, go crazy son! ^_^

Wow. Phillies just demolished the Mets 11 - Zip. I know it's early and the Phillies have started the season vs. two mediocre teams but it's nice to see them get out of the gate in a winning fashion.

I still like Boston going to WS despite what history says.

Me too, as long as they don't fire Francona if they get swept by the Yankees...

I mean they're going to start hitting at some point and when they do watch out. That line up is sick!

Wow. Phillies just demolished the Mets 11 - Zip. I know it's early and the Phillies have started the season vs. two mediocre teams but it's nice to see them get out of the gate in a winning fashion.

Good thing they scored so many as that Roy fellow needs heavy offensive support. ;)

Sox drop to 0-6.

Well something has to give by at least Monday for the winless Rays & Red Sox. Assuming neither team has won by then. :ph34r:

It was a bad as it get for Boston in today's game: terrible hitting, bad base running, no clutch hits, it was a bad day all around. Now the Yankees come into Fenway, and if the Redsox keep losing, their season, believe it or not, might be in jeopardy. On the plus side, Jon Lester looked great.

It was a bad as it get for Boston in today's game: terrible hitting, bad base running, no clutch hits, it was a bad day all around. Now the Yankees come into Fenway, and if the Redsox keep losing, their season, believe it or not, might be in jeopardy. On the plus side, Jon Lester looked great.

Even if they get swept this weekend I don't think you can count them out. They have way too much talent. As long as they stay healthy they should be fine. The Phillies lost 10 games in a row at one point last season and still ran away w/ the NL East. Oh and they had the best record in baseball.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

At this point I am rooting for the worst to happen. I want to see this pathetic group of assholes be the first "World Series favorite" to be booed off the field on their own home opener. And then by Sunday I want Papelbon to be on the field in the ninth inning trying to nail down the first win only to blow it up.

I need something different to do in the summer, might as well experience a baseball-free one.

Go Tribe!!! Back in first place!

After brutal season debuts against the other Sox by Fausto Carmona and Carlos Carrasco, the back end of the rotation (Justin Masterson, Josh Tomlin, and Mitch Talbot) has been solid. Talbot only went 4 1/3 last night, but Manny Acta had his whole bullpen available due to 7 innings from Tomlin, and used most of it. Bullpen has been solid and Carmona had a great start this afternoon (lowering his ERA from 30.00 to a miniscule 9.00). All this with Shin-Soo Choo, arguably their best position player, very slow out of the gate. I'm confident that they will torment Tribe fans much of the season, but at least they are showing some signs of life (...yes my standards are set low, life is too short). Look for Asdrubal Cabrera to have a solid season after being injured much of last year. He came into camp in better shape and looks to have something to prove. And Orlando Cabrera has been a worthwhile addition so far.