2011 MLB Season

Well, the Yankees are doing their best to match Boston loss for loss--even though they just took a one-run lead against the Angels, I'm not at all confident in the bullpen's ability to hold it, the way things have been going lately. At this rate, we will be seeing Detroit, Texas or L.A. representing the American League in the World Series, which might be a better thing for everybody who's an A.L. fan, given the way NY and Boston have been playing.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was happily wrong about yesterday's outcome, though NY's $12 million setup man nearly blew it in the 7th inning. Jsngry, sorry we were only able to take 1 of 3 from the Angels. NY fans, nice writeup from Joel Sherman of the Post about the Yankees' bench depth. This stat jumped out at me:

The Yankees have lost more than 1,300 games to the disabled list this year, the most in the majors.

Still concerned that the schedule's going to wear them down over these last several weeks, and that the rotation is extremely suspect beyond CC and Nova. Garcia has really struggled in his last two starts, Phil Hughes still can't put batters away, and A.J. Burnett is, well, A.J. Burnett. Hopefully there's a little gas left in Bartolo Colon's arm.

Not optimistic about tonight's late start against Seattle, given that it's Hughes going up against King Felix.

Jsngry, sorry we were only able to take 1 of 3 from the Angels.

Hey, it was the right one to take...C.J. aced up (as is becoming his wont), the speed did the dance, the bats came alive, and at the end of the day, for all the last three days' drama, the lead at the end of the weekend was exactly where it was at the beginning of the weekend. Would've been nice to have added at least one game, but the emotional boost of going through that rollercoasterings and not having lost any ground is greater than the potential downer that could come from same.

Still kinda worried about the Angels, their top three starters show more consistency than ours, but they have one series against Toronto (on the road, I think) that could be trouble for them, so there's that. One any given day, the Jays can open up a can of whoopass and forgot where they put the lid. Bottom line, though, since the Yankees didn't sweep (as was my A-List dream), we pretty much need to handle our business from here on out, and that is ultimately as it should be. If we do that, and they still outplay us, hey, c'est la f-in' vie, right? But I don't see how they can ride Weaver-Heren-Santana nonstop for the next two weeks & still have them ready and in top form for the final three against us. Again, if they can, more power to them. We shall see. Stranger things have happened.

Either way, though, the Rangers should have easily won at least ten more games than they actually have up to this point, and this division should have either been clenched or be on the verge of being clinched. But like the man did said, that's the way baseball go.

I know the Boston bullpen's been struggling of late, but unless they have the mother of all collapses and surrender 13 runs in the top of the 9th, Tim Wakefield will finally notch his 200th win--congratulations to him and to long-suffering Red Sox fans. And by no means does NY have the division sewn up--they face Boston three more times and they also play the highly-motivated Rays a bunch, while the Bosox have seven games with the Orioles. All it takes is NY going 6-10 and Boston going 10-6 (counting tonight's game) for a W-L tie, which would go to the Red Sox, since they won the season series against NY.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised by last night's result (Phil Hughes giving up only one run, albeit against a weak-hitting Seattle offense, while the Yankees finally solved King Felix, for one game, at least). I think the AL playoffs are going to be one hell of a dogfight this year, that's for sure.

Edited by ghost of miles

Turned out to be quite the milestone night, what with Wakefield getting win #200 and Mo notching save #600:

Mo gets save #600

Kinda cool that Jeter, who had his own amazing milestone moment this season, was the one who applied the tag for the final out.

Incredible to have watched these guys play for the past 16 years--I still wish Andy had stuck around for one more season.

I also continue to thank the baseball gods that this proposed 1995 Steinbrenner trade fell through. :rolleyes:

Turned out to be quite the milestone night, what with Wakefield getting win #200 and Mo notching save #600:

Mo gets save #600

Kinda cool that Jeter, who had his own amazing milestone moment this season, was the one who applied the tag for the final out.

Incredible to have watched these guys play for the past 16 years--I still wish Andy had stuck around for one more season.

I also continue to thank the baseball gods that this proposed 1995 Steinbrenner trade fell through. :rolleyes:

Amazing how healthy Mo has been through most of his career, and that he still is throwing 93...

And WOW, Steinbrenner would have had to fire himself if that trade had happened! :blink:

What is going on with Daniel Bard? :blink:

Yeah, I'm quite surprised he apparently blew an 8th inning 2 run lead today, his stuff is so overpowering. Well, if the Yanks can beat the Mariners again tonight, a 5 game lead with 14 to go looks pretty strong even with games against the Sox and Rays coming up. :excited:

Edited by MartyJazz

Free carpet!!!!

Well, not exactly, but, yeah.

http://espn.go.com/d...flooring-payout

</h2>

<h2>Josh Hamilton's slam triggers promotion

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Texas Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton's grand slam Wednesday caused quite a stir for folks who had seen a local flooring company commercial on television in recent weeks.

In the commercial, Steve Fitzgerald, owner of CC Carpet, says that if Hamilton hits a grand slam, anyone who purchased flooring or countertops in September would get a refund.

The company's website was down and the phone number busy shortly after Hamilton hit his third career grand slam -- and first since 2008 -- in the fourth inning against the Cleveland Indians.

"My IT guy is working on it," Fitzgerald said. "We're so excited. We only wish he had done it right at the end of the promotion so we could have saved folks even more money. But it's great."

Fitzgerald said he estimates that Hamilton's blast probably saved customers a little more than $500,000. His company bought insurance for the promotion.

Hamilton said he thought about the promotion as he came to the plate.

"The situation doesn't come up often, so when it does you can't help but think about it," Hamilton said. "I'm in the business of giving back. I like to help people as much as I can by giving back. So that's cool."

The company issued an explanation of the Grand Slam Payout, which said anyone who purchased flooring or countertops starting Aug. 29 would get a refund if Hamilton hit a bases-loaded home run during the promotion period, which was to run until Sept. 28 or as soon as Hamilton hit a grand slam.

"We wanted to do something that would be fun, but still possible," Fitzgerald said. "There were people trying to get me to do something else, but I thought it had to be Hamilton and a grand slam. My daughter, Morgan, pushed for Hamilton too. It took some phone calls, but we were thrilled to make it work."

The commercial features Fitzgerald and his 27-year-old daughter Morgan, who says after her dad explains the promotion, "Dad, are you crazy?"

He doesn't feel crazy now. He said he's going on a few TV shows on Thursday morning and hopes the promotion increases awareness for his company.

"Maybe the next time we do something, people will think twice and do it," Fitzgerald said. "I knew he'd do it. I told a buddy when he came up with the bases loaded that he was going to do it then. It was exciting."

Edited by JSngry

Yeah, I'm quite surprised he apparently blew an 8th inning 2 run lead today, his stuff is so overpowering. Well, if the Yanks can beat the Mariners again tonight, a 5 game lead with 14 to go looks pretty strong even with games against the Sox and Rays coming up. :excited:

Bard's blown several games of late for Boston. Dan probably has a better sense of what might be going on, but there definitely seems to be concern in Red Sox Nation about Bard's recent performance. Re: tonight's NY game against the Mariners, don't count on it--so far Jason Vargas is absolutely handcuffing the batting order. I think we have one hit through five innings or some such.

Bard's blown several games of late for Boston. Dan probably has a better sense of what might be going on, but there definitely seems to be concern in Red Sox Nation about Bard's recent performance. Re: tonight's NY game against the Mariners, don't count on it--so far Jason Vargas is absolutely handcuffing the batting order. I think we have one hit through five innings or some such.

And a grand total of 4 hits in 12 innings against a no-name staff. A real stinker of a performance.

HA!

You know, that album's been growing on me little by little...still not "perfect" but pretty intense...and that song there is...really intense.

And on btw if you eat Papa John's pizza, they've had a deal on all sesaon called Rangers7 where if the Rangers win and score 7 or more, you get 50% off your entire online order the following day, drinks, salads, the whole deal. Just enter RANGERS7 when you place you online order.

Perhaps some half-price pizza would cheer Mr. Rod up. Pizza, not Don Ewell, is the true healing force of the universe.