2011 MLB Season

Pizza, not Don Ewell, is the true healing force of the universe.

I'll eat to that!

When I was a little kid, McDonald's in Indiana offered free cheeseburgers if the IU basketball team held its opponent to 50 points or less. This was during the 1975-76 season, when the team went undefeated and had a stellar defense... many free cheeseburgers were consumed! Not quite the grand deal the Texas carpet man is offering, but it added an extra layer of fun to watching the games.

Re: "Carpet Man" song... doesn't the beginning sound to you like Mr. Webb had been listening to Mr. Diamond circa 1966? ("Cherry Cherry," "Kentucky Woman," etc.)

Edited by ghost of miles

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So any opinions on the possibility of the Astros moving to the AL West?

Right now, I'd just like to see them get thier pride back...first time ever to lose 100 games..that's sad, as in that makes me sad. This team was my first baseball love back from 1965 - 1971 or so, and they never lost 100 games. I just went back and looked at their records from those years, and...god did they suck. But it didn't seem like it at the time, it just seemed that they lost more games than they won. There was always some player, or some game, or some....something that made things interesting for a day or two at at a time. I remember one season where there was actually a bit of a race for 8th place going on for a while, that was fun, and there were even the odd streaks where the team would rise up and get hot for a little bit and get up to, like 6th or 7th place for a little bit. That was BIG fun! But they've never lost 100 games until this year.

Somewhere in the Baseball Heaven, Turk Farrell & John Bateman are spewing more expletives than usual, Loel Passe is finally at a loss for words, and the Astrodome scoreboard sheds a tear.

http://www.texasradi.../loelpasse.html

RaderWynn.jpg

Edited by JSngry

Astros finally topple the Mets 1-0 in the bottom of the 24th. Relive it here!

http://www.astrosdai...io/68inn241.mp3

An inside the park home run for The Superstar Of The Future!!!

http://www.astrosdaily.com/audio/72ccitphr.mp3

And one from John Bateman:

http://www.astrosdaily.com/audio/63bateman.mp3

How do you like THOSE apples!?!?!?

Never a dull moment, but never a 100-loss season, either.

Edited by JSngry

Right now, I'd just like to see them get thier pride back...first time ever to lose 100 games..that's sad, as in that makes me sad.

To their credit since dumping players they've finally picked up a better winning (or less losing) pace and should avoid losing 110. Back in August they were threatening that level of ineptitude.

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the franchise as the Cardinals traded one of my favorite players Jose Cruz to them. Traded for "cash" (and not Dave Cash) I believe. They played the speed turf type of NL ball so well, though they also managed to have some bangers whose power was disguised in that massive Astrodome. For some reason quite a few Houstonites live up here and I've managed to befriend 3, so it's sort of like I live in a suburb of Houston, only much cooler with trees & mountains, but much crappier Vietnamese food. :)

Jose Cruz was a helluva player, for real.

As much as I do not enjoy in any way the city of Houston or its surrounding areas (nothing "bad", just not to my liking), if I had to choose between living in Houston and mediocre Vietnamese food, I think I'd make my peace with crowded everything, bad driving, and always being sweaty. A good bowl of pho makes all that stuff disappear in a BIG hurry!

In salute to the Phillies clinching the AL East last night, here's some vintage Harry Kalas form when he was working for the Astros.

http://www.astrosdaily.com/audio/67mathews.mp3

http://www.astrosdaily.com/audio/67WynnhrKalas.mp3

"That ball is an ASTRO ORBIT!!!"

Funny how when you're a kid, all that stuff to make a bad team fun actually works.

Never understood how anyone could say "This is an irrelevant game." It might not mean anything for the pennant race, but that does not make it irrelevant. That's pretty unimaginative. It might be some kid's first major league game, or just something to remember. I will always be grateful to the neighboring family who took me along to their trip to the Astrodome to see the lowly Astros play the Koufax era Dodgers for my first major league game. We sat in bum fuck Egypt centerfield, and we could hardly see what was happening between pitcher and batter, but it was magic to me, and hardly irrelevant at all! Been an Astros fan ever since. I remember Gene Elston and Lowell Passe doing the broadcasts. Thanks for the clips and the memories!

will always be grateful to the neighboring family who took me along to their trip to the Astrodome to see the lowly Astros play the Koufax era Dodgers for my first major league game. We sat in bum fuck Egypt centerfield...

It was called "The Pavillion", remember? $1.50 for adults, 50 cents for kids. The first year the dome was open, the old man would take us in once a month after church & that was where we sat.Hell, I didn't know about cheap seats or sight lines or any of that. All I knew was that it was pro baseball and I was in the seats at the game.

50 cents to see a major league game, and to have Willie Mays right in front of you. Hell yeah.

In salute to the Phillies clinching the AL East last night, here's some vintage Harry Kalas form when he was working for the Astros.

http://www.astrosdaily.com/audio/67mathews.mp3

http://www.astrosdaily.com/audio/67WynnhrKalas.mp3

"That ball is an ASTRO ORBIT!!!"

Funny how when you're a kid, all that stuff to make a bad team fun actually works.

Those were great! I knew Mathews finished with the 'stros & Tigers but I hadn't realized he hit #500 off of Marichal. A great announcer can make a bad team more enjoyable, as Cubs fans from Brickhouse through Carey know too well.

Both the Yanks and the Red Sox have been sucking badly lately. Yet I heard some analyst yesterday - wish I could recall who it was - saying that the Sox have to root for the Yanks to start winning because it would mean for the most part that they would be beating up on the Rays with whom they have six games left. Presumably that would lock the WC for the Sox. But the way I see it, if the Sox start winning (including three remaining games with the Yanks) and the Rays beat up on the Yanks, then possibly the Sox win the division, the Rays get the WC, and the Yanks are knocked out completely. Unlikely scenario but preferable from a Sox POV, don't you think?

Very cool audio clips! :) Didn't know Harry Kallas was with the 'stros too! Then again, I am sure people didn't know that Harry Carry was with the Cards, White Sox and A's!

Funny, the braves are in real trouble too, but it doesn't seem to get 1/10th press the Red Sox losing ways is....same issue too, too many starters not able to pitch...but now "we" have overworked the best 3 relievers in baseball, and now they are looking quite hittable....well, two of them....Not looking forward to facing the Phils to end the season...

Very cool audio clips! :) Didn't know Harry Kallas was with the 'stros too! Then again, I am sure people didn't know that Harry Carry was with the Cards, White Sox and A's!

I'm old enough to very well remember catching Caray w/Jack Buck on KMOX on nights when there were either no Astros games or else the Cardxs were on the coast and the Astros weren't. In fact, the first team I tinstinctively think of when I hear his name is the Cardinals. But then again, I'm old...

The thing a lot of people forget is that for a looooong time, the Cardinals were as close to a "Southern" team as there was, and even after the Braves came to Atlanta, the Astros to Houston, and the Senators/Rangers to Arlington, it took a while for any "regional identity" for those teams to "take" among fans. Well into the 1960s, I'd find older folks in Texas who didn't give a flip about the Astros, but they still followed the Cardinals. Truth be told, I still have a gut liking for them, based on the youthful imprinting of Bob Gibson (to this day, still my ideal pitcher, a total badass!), Lou Brock, Tim McCarver, Ken Boyer, Curt Flood, that whole crew.

Quite the team, and KMOX came in just as well as anything after the sun went down...

The thing a lot of people forget is that for a looooong time, the Cardinals were as close to a "Southern" team as there was, and even after the Braves came to Atlanta, the Astros to Houston, and the Senators/Rangers to Arlington, it took a while for any "regional identity" for those teams to "take" among fans. Well into the 1960s, I'd find older folks in Texas who didn't give a flip about the Astros, but they still followed the Cardinals. Truth be told, I still have a gut liking for them, based on the youthful imprinting of Bob Gibson (to this day, still my ideal pitcher, a total badass!), Lou Brock, Tim McCarver, Ken Boyer, Curt Flood, that whole crew.

Quite the team, and KMOX came in just as well as anything after the sun went down...

It worked the same way for most of the Great Plains and into the Rocky Mountains too - a powerful transmitter and some great voices will do wonders for your fanbase. Also not having any MLB teams to the west of you helps too! Oh sure later on there are a couple of teams 2000 miles away... :lol: Even into the '90s it was easy to pick up Cardinal games (from their affiliate network) in western Nebraska and parts of Montana.

Certainly is true that the Cards had, and maintain, a huge geographical range of fans. When I lived in St. Louis I knew people who grew up quite a distance away and would drive hellacious distances to see the "home town" team.

But one thing to point out is that St. Louis is probably the northern-most "southern" town in the country.

But one thing to point out is that St. Louis is probably the northern-most "southern" town in the country.

True, but before the Giants & Dodgers moved west, the Cards were as southern or as western as the major leagues went. That's more than half the 20th century , albeit the slow half. :g

Tip of the Yankee cap to Mo Rivera, who just broke the all-time record for most saves by a reliever. A class act and quite possibly the greatest closer ever... it's been a privilege and a pleasure to watch him pitch for the past 16 years. For me he's right up there with Ruth, Gehrig, and DiMaggio in the Yankee pantheon of legends.

Mo gets save #602

Edited by ghost of miles

I'm sure that I'll never see his like again in my lifetime. Typically, when interviewed after the game, he said that he would never call himself the greatest closer of all time. Also typically, when he got the strikeout to end the game, he just walked slowly and quietly off the mound - no celebration.

Edited by paul secor

I was following the game online and had the exact same reaction as the NY home crowd in the bottom of the 8th:

Early on Monday, it appeared Rivera's services would not be needed as the first-place Yankees jumped out to a 5-0 lead on a depleted and inexperienced Twins lineup. In fact, Yankees fans were thrilled the club didn't extend its two-run lead in the eighth. Nick Swisher grounded into a double play, and the place went wild.

"Greatest double play of my life, man," Swisher said. "It took me a quick second to figure out what was going on, but then it sunk in real fast."

:lol:

More clips from the end of the game:

Must C Classic: Mo's 602nd save (I love the WADO call of the final out in this one! Also Jeter's expression as he goes towards the mound to congratulate Mo.)

Rivera speaks after #602

Whatever happens in the postseason, it's been a great year simply to see Jeter's 3000th hit and now this... I only wish Andy Pettitte had been there as well.

Edited by ghost of miles