2011 MLB Season

Yankees vs Rangers is a total crapshoot at this point, at least on paper. Patient Rangers hitters should yield success against Yankee pitching, but there's no guarantee that there will be patient Rangers hitters. None at all. Also, with Yankee Stadium home field advantage, Rangers pitchers must be flawless, which is just not going to happen, except maybe with CJ.

On paper, a tossup, but based on real-life tendencies, advantage Yankees. Although to be honest, I'd rather take my chances against the Yankees than the Tigers, especially without home field advantage. The Tigers played us tough all season, and playing them in their house always resulted in,,,weird stuff happening. Just flat out weird. Almost every damn time.

This year's Rangers is a lot different team than last year's Rangers, and as I've said many times before, lots of mental hurdles to be cleared this year (and they mostly have been), so just taking the division is triumph enough for me. Not having Cliff Lee has led to the forced (and mostly successful) development of three starters, all of whom have exceeded expectations but as to whether or not they're mature enough to go deep in the playoffs (probably not an issue for Ogando, who I think will be saved for any long relief that might be needed), I don't know. If they are, great. If not, they better be next year!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to believe the Red Sox have faded so badly. If they don't make it to the postseason, I hope that Terry Francona doesn't end up being the scapegoat for the players' collapse. He's always seemed like a decent guy. Unfortunately, the manager always takes the fall when the players play poorly. I'd like to see Theo Epstein tell it like it is and call out the players for their failure.

On another note, I'm happy to see that Chien-Ming Wang finished his season strongly. Hope he's able to have a good seaon next year. He pitched well for the Yanks when he was with them and has had a tough road coming back.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/chien-ming-wang-finishes-his-season-on-a-strong-note/2011/09/24/gIQAgYqFuK_blog.html

On another note, I'm happy to see that Chien-Ming Wang finished his season strongly. Hope he's able to have a good seaon next year. He pitched well for the Yanks when he was with them and has had a tough road coming back.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/chien-ming-wang-finishes-his-season-on-a-strong-note/2011/09/24/gIQAgYqFuK_blog.html

Yes, Chien-Ming has been one of the success stories for Washington this year. Might never match his days with NY, but he'd be a great addition to our staff next year, and I heard him say nice things about the organization for sticking with him. Now, if we could get Ivan Rodriguez back next year and beyond as a player/coach! How rare are player/coaches these days! Would love to see him get his 3000th hit in DC, though he doesn't need it to be a first ballot HOFer, imo.

Ghost, any chance??? I'd say there is about a 90% chance the Cards or even the Giants (pretty long shot now with so few games left) overtake the braves. :(

Kind of hard to to lose Jair Jurrjens (1.87 ERA at the all star break) and Tommy Hanson (2.44 ERA at the break) and still be competitive. We had 4 rookies in a row start a week ago.

Your luck might change this weekend in Washington. I am going to Friday night's game, weather permitting. Strasburg pitching. But we are due for some losses. Been winning more often lately than we can sustain. If we keep up like this, we will get close to .500. I can't see it!

Or not... :( I think the Nats make it to .500 and the braves spend Oct playing quite a bit of golf.

Really hard to believe the Red Sox and Braves could both collapse like this....

I have often rooted for St Louis as a second choice when my teams don't make it to post-season, but the way they and Atlanta are backing into the playoffs this year has me rooting for Arizona. Milwaukee should be in the American League, instead of moving Houston in 2013. Of course MLB would never admit they were wrong to move Milwaukee in the first place, so I am afraid it will be "screw you, Houston."

Or not... :( I think the Nats make it to .500

That will be mathematically difficult since we will finish with 161 games, barring any rain outs in our three game series with the Marlins. We are 78-80 now and would have to sweep to make it 81-80. I am cautiously hoping for 80-81.

Also, time to do away with the curly W and use an interlocking DC as our logo. What in the world will we call ourselves if we gain statehood one of these days? There's already a Washington state. The name Washington DC would only complicate matters. Better to call us DC, imo.

Braves face a tough match up against the Phils. I figure both teams will ratchet it up these last few days.

I know Bosox fans have been desperately searching for the "turning point" moment, but Ellsbury's 14th-inning HR last night might truly have been it. When I heard Proctor was coming in to pitch for NY, I nearly logged out of GameDay... knew it would soon be over. Statistically the game meant nothing to NY, but it meant more to Boston than simply staying a game ahead of the Rays in the wild-card chase; and as we've seen in the past, it's not a good idea to let Boston get back up off the ground when they've been knocked down so badly.

I know Bosox fans have been desperately searching for the "turning point" moment, but Ellsbury's 14th-inning HR last night might truly have been it. When I heard Proctor was coming in to pitch for NY, I nearly logged out of GameDay... knew it would soon be over. Statistically the game meant nothing to NY, but it meant more to Boston than simply staying a game ahead of the Rays in the wild-card chase; and as we've seen in the past, it's not a good idea to let Boston get back up off the ground when they've been knocked down so badly.

Felt the same way you did once I saw Proctor come in. He's done and will no doubt be dropped from the roster once the playoffs begin. But obviously lots of props for Ellsbury who really performed well both day and night and got the split for his team.

Mr. MVP has to make that catch , Freddy Lynn used to make those catches crashing into walls.....

Oh well I guess Mr. MVP is more of a run and dive forward kind of guy ...Damn!

Some fan ran onto the field last night and flipped the bird to the Red Sox dugout ...they deserve it.

I don't Fred Lynn catches that either, the timing sucked hitting the wall just as he tried to put his hand over the glove to keep it bouncing out....

Of course Lynn wouldn't have caught that...He would have been on the DL! :P Plus, he must be in his 60s...

We could have told you Proctor was toast...weird toast that can still throw mid 90's but has no secondary pitches anymore....

Edited by BERIGAN

Now it's really getting crazy. Bosox hang on to win in Baltimore while the Rays beat the Yanks, so they're both tied with one game to go.

Atlanta loses and the Cards have a late lead, so they could also be tied with one game to go. This is exciting!!!

Because the playoffs start on Friday, the Yanks won't use Robertson/Soriano/Rivera tomorrow in order to keep them rested for Friday. Some regulars will certainly be rested, so the Yanks are almost giving the Rays the game from the outset. On the other side, Baltimore is playing the Bosox tough and Showalter wil give it everything he has to win the game. I'm so glad I have MLBN.

Edited by PHILLYQ

Last night on Comcast Sports Network (local here in Boston) the host Tanguay said

that there is a large portion of Red Sox fans who are routing for them to not make the playoffs.

Here is a list of what these fans hope will go away with a total Sox collapse:

1. The end of the Pink Hat Fans (I agree with this ,mostly girls...when I was a kid my Dad would take

me into Fenway and i swear everyone sitting around us were business guys dressed in trench coats and smoking cigars

while reading The Globe. Now it's broads ,checking their i-phones and hitting on guys down on the lower concourse.)

2. The end of that horrible Sweet Caroline sing along between the 7th inning ...who started that shit ?

3. Goodbye Theo (I think it will be Goodbye Francona)

4. Now this one is the funniest one and totally true "Fenway has become NANTUCKET!..now that is too funny and true

Fenway has become like this place to be seen , the fact that they play baseball there is an afterthought....who would

have ever thunk this .....

I guess this was the price of 2 WS Championships.......