Do you own a gun?

Do you own a gun?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Throughout modern history, the gentleman has always armed himself with a pistol, sword, dagger, etc....particularly when traveling after dark. All gentlemen, particularly those who live in densely populated urban environments fraught with highwaymen and derelict bandits, should adhere to this civilized, time-honored practice.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I do not own a gun, my father owns a lot and is a Life Time member of the NRA, so I grew up around guns. Learned how to handle and shot a gun as a child, and those NRA lessons have stayed with me. In fact, I'm glad that I do know how to handle a gun because it's made me treat guns with respect and very carefully, knowing just how dangerous and powerfull they are.

Edited by Matthew

Where I live in Colorado is in the middle of NRA country but I don't own a gun and have no desire to do so. My sister who lives in LA carries a gun and considering where she lives I can sympathize with that. In the part of Colorado where I live I'm more concerned with four legged predators than two legged ones.If I encountered one of the four legged ones I might regret the decision not to be armed but I'll worry about that when and if the time comes.

I do not hunt and have never had the desire to do so, but I do own several firearms.

A friend of mine operates a tactical and safety training school, I've attended hours and hours of training, and as a result have obtained concealed weapons permits for a few different states.

NO, I DO NOT WALK AROUND EVERYWHERE I GO WITH TWO 9's STRAPPED AROUND MY SHOULDERS.

For me it's a necessary evil thing. If you had to be in some of the places I have to be, and with some of the people I have to be with, you would understand. I've had more than my share of close encounters.

At times I feel it is a must as a means of protection for myself and the people I employ.

What's really scary to me are teen-agers. They think nothing of having a gun in their cars, in fact, I hear so many stories of kids flashing their guns at each other it's sickening. Same kind of kids that love to leave "187" messages on each others cell-phones (another fav in La La Land). The sad part is they get younger and younger and younger....

One difference Senor Weizen he went looking for them I have no such intentions.Since I live in the town limits of Pagosa Springs an encounter with a bear while possible is minimal. Besides the rascals are hibernating right now and when they wake up in a few months as long as they have adequate food sources in the woods they won't bug people too much. The people around here are instructed on how to not encourage bears and for the most part only those who disregard those instructions and are otherwise careless will get grief from a hungry Ursa. However if the Bear's natural food supply is diminished it will do what it has to do in order to eat and that includes breaking into your house and maybe eating your gun. :g .Personally I would be worried more about a Mountain Lion but unlike Boulder there presence around Pagosa Springs are not encouraged but extra vigilance is not a bad idea because we just had a big dump of snow and if the Lion's food supply starts coming into the town limits the Lion might very well follow.

I received my limited training from someone who was in the army and knows his firearms....he was very stern and cautious.....wouldn't let me handle a loaded weapon until I knew *everything* about the .22, even though I was anxious to shoot.......I'm very appreciative of him.

I think Virginia is trying to revive the allowance of concealed weapons in restaurants and bars......I think that idea is asking for trouble....we'll see in the next General Assembly session coming soon.....

What's really scary to me are teen-agers. They think nothing of having a gun in their cars, in fact, I hear so many stories of kids flashing their guns at each other it's sickening. Same kind of kids that love to leave "187" messages on each others cell-phones (another fav in La La Land). The sad part is they get younger and younger and younger....

It's ridiculous here as well.

They love those cheap ass .380s, and pull them out with no hesitation.

However if the Bear's natural food supply is diminished it will do what it has to do in order to eat and that includes breaking into your house and maybe eating your gun. :g .Personally I would be worried more about a Mountain Lion but unlike Boulder there presence around Pagosa Springs are not encouraged but extra vigilance is not a bad idea because we just had a big dump of snow and if the Lion's food supply starts coming into the town limits the Lion might very well follow.

Come to think of it, your CO neighbor -- and our fellow board member Ron F -- has been awol for weeks now. You don't think that he....? :o

wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif

Never owned, nor shot a gun.....Funny thing, both my parents learned how to shoot a gun, Mom said she was pretty good at target shooting....I don't feel the need to own a gun at this time, BUT if I(Or my Family) ever felt truly threatened I want the right to own one......

Owned a .22 and a shotgun when I was a kid. My Dad had a .303. After I left home I think he got rid of them when they started some sort of gun registration in Canada. Where I come from we had a low murder rate but a high "hunting accident" rate. Not sure that the 2 weren't connected. Haven't wanted guns around the house while my kids were growing up.

I'm one of the yes guys, although I hate guns!

The one I have (.22 pistol) I inherited from my father who got it from his father.

As it is, it is locked away (we don't have any kids or it would be gone!).

I did get some lessons its operation at the local shooting range, but I'm still ambivalent about having it.

I'm not sure what I'll eventually do with it.

What a blow out!

Boardmembers overwhelmingly do NOT own guns. Amazing.

Personally, this comes as a surprise to me. I have no idea which of my neighbors have or do not have guns (except for the cop next door) as it was a subject that never came up.

I feel a lot better now knowing that I'm not hiding my head in the sand by not owning a gun. Apparently, most of us feel one is not necessary; and I know many of you live in bigger cities than I do.

It strikes me as important to avoid guns if one has kids. Catesta sounds like he needs one.

I love to visit Cabellas with my kid and we ooh and aah at the guns and the fishing tackle and the displays but in the end we are unarmed.

Some of us who voted here don't live in America, I'm sure, but I hope the result of this poll do send a message to our nonAmerican boardmembers: don't believe the media! We are not ALL armed to the teeth. Only Joe G is! :P