New Charles Mingus Live Recordings 1973-1977 discography

l p

Mingus appeared in Dallas on November 19, 1974, with Jack Walrath.

The discography lists a November 12, 1974 Village Vanguard recording with Hamiet Bluiett.

So if this is correct, the concert here was one of the first or perhaps the first appearance with Walrath.

lp, did you deliberately omit the concert from the 1977 european tour that came out on the limited edition Burning Desire records LP?

it looks like this release is a compilation of tunes from 1977 nice, den haag, and montreux shows.

The discography lists a November 12, 1974 Village Vanguard recording with Hamiet Bluiett.

>>>>

i'm correcting this entry. bluiett is not on this show. just adams, and a guest alto sax who's name mingus does not know.

Is 7/20/77 Mingus' last public performance

>>>

the correct date may be July 11.

i am looking for several shows that are known to exist.

Village Vanguard nyc 8-4-73

Worchester 1975

Palermo, It 3-26-76

Tokyo 7-25-76

Osaka 7-29-76

Den Haag 7-15-77 90 minute audience recording

if anyone has, please contact me off list.

thanks

Edited by l p

The Charles Mingus Quintet with Dannie Richmond, Don Pullen, George Adams & Hamiet Bluiett played at the IX Festival de Jazz de San Sebastián on July 25, 1974. This concert was recorded, as it was broadcast on Spanish TVE 1 on Sep. 14, 1974.

Mingus's group (with Dannie Richmond, Ricky Ford, Jack Walrath & Robert Neloms) also played at the XII Festival de Jazz de San Sebastián on July 25, 1977, but I don't know if a soundboard or audience recording exists.

• 8 months later...

I saw Mingus with Blueitt at the concert that resulted in the Mingus at Carnegie Hall album (January, 1974). (I hadn't seen Bluiett in his previous stint with Mingus (was Bobby Jones still playing with Mingus when John Foster & Roy Brooks were in the band? I do remember Foster & Brooks (who took a saw solo)).) I think the next time I saw him was with Walrath at the Top of the Gate that summer ('74). I believe it would have been a show at Carnegie in '73 where the dreadful trumpeter Ronald Hampton appeared. IIRC, he has no solos on Moves, and if you heard him solo you'd know why.

I saw him with Danny Mixon and Ricky Ford, and Mixon was not a good match for Mingus.

So far I've never heard of any recordings of the Rollins concert I saw where both Mingus and Dizzy were guests (replacements for a Freddie Hubbard cancellation).

Edit: Ah, yes, the Ronnie Scott's gig in 1972 had Jones along with McPherson & Faddis with Foster & Brooks. I seem to remember the show I saw had Lonnie Hillyer on trumpet--I think I saw him twice, once with Mingus, once with Monk. I can't find details online.

Does anybody know anything about this?:

Charles Mingus Quintet Featuring Dexter Gordon (1972, White Label)

Edited by Pete C

When I saw Mingus in the Jazz Festival of Châteauvallon in 1972, he has lost half of his band on the tour (why, that I don't know). For the concert, he had to hired Clark Terry (who was playing at the same festival) on trumpet and his son (yes, his son) was playing percussion (& Dannie Richmond drumming of course). Charles McPherson complete the line-up where Roy Brooks, the piano player had also a saw solo.

Two years later I was lucky enough to seen him at Antwerpen's Middleheim Festival with the George Adams/ Don Pullen quintet. The concert was astonishing and he was recorded to be broadcast...

Edited by P.L.M

So that was a different show than this one, which doesn't list Terry? Also, was the son Eric or Charles, Jr.?

Charles Mingus Live In Chateauvallon, 1972 (France's Concert (F) FCD 134)

Charles McPherson (as) John Foster (p, vo) Charles Mingus (b) Roy Brooks (d, musical saw)

live in Chateauvallon, France, August 22, 1972

Duke Ellington Medley: Blues In G (bass solo) / In A Sentimental Mood / Sophisticated Lady / Unknown Ellington Tune / Mood Indigo / Take The "A" Train

Fables Of Faubus

Diane (Body And Soul)

Blues Medley: John's Blues (Blues For Some Bones) / Blues For Roy's Saw / Noddin' Ya Head Blues

I saw Mingus with Blueitt at the concert that resulted in the Mingus at Carnegie Hall album (January, 1974). (I hadn't seen Bluiett in his previous stint with Mingus (was Bobby Jones still playing with Mingus when John Foster & Roy Brooks were in the band? I do remember Foster & Brooks (who took a saw solo)).) I think the next time I saw him was with Walrath at the Top of the Gate that summer ('74). I believe it would have been a show at Carnegie in '73 where the dreadful trumpeter Ronald Hampton appeared. IIRC, he has no solos on Moves, and if you heard him solo you'd know why.

I saw him with Danny Mixon and Ricky Ford, and Mixon was not a good match for Mingus.

So far I've never heard of any recordings of the Rollins concert I saw where both Mingus and Dizzy were guests (replacements for a Freddie Hubbard cancellation).

Edit: Ah, yes, the Ronnie Scott's gig in 1972 had Jones along with McPherson & Faddis with Foster & Brooks. I seem to remember the show I saw had Lonnie Hillyer on trumpet--I think I saw him twice, once with Mingus, once with Monk. I can't find details online.

There is one Ronald Hampton solo on Mingus Moves. Nevertheless, I still like the album.

Mingus appeared in Dallas on November 19, 1974, with Jack Walrath.

So if this is correct, the concert here was one of the first or perhaps the first appearance with Walrath.

I'm pretty sure Walrath was already with Mingus summer of 1974 when he had an extended engagement at the Village Gate (Top of the Gate). I was at a bunch of the shows. They were already performing the tunes from Changes. In fact, at the time, the titles Remember Rockefeller at Attica and Free Cell Block F were being used for the opposite tunes of the way they were attributed on the albums (and which Republican Lionel Hampton retitled Just For Laughs Parts I & II!).

So I believe I saw Bluiett at Carnegie Hall earlier in the year and Walrath in the summer. I suppose I could be mistaken about Walrath, but they were definitely playing Changes repertoire. Mingus had month-long gigs there in 1974 & 1975. A lot of people sat in during those gigs. That was the only time I saw Tommy Turrentine, for instance.

There is one Ronald Hampton solo on Mingus Moves. Nevertheless, I still like the album.

I just discovered that the CD, which I don't have, has 2 additional tracks, Pullen's Big Alice, and a tune called The Call, both of which feature trumpet solos. I wonder if trumpet solos were edited out of other tunes.

Big Alice was performed in the first set at Carnegie Hall in 1974, but only the jam session was released by Atlantic.

Edited by Pete C

I only found this, you probably did too:

Charles Mingus Live In Holland 1972 (Blue Mark Music (J) BMM-041/042)

Charles McPherson (as) Dexter Gordon (ts) John Foster (p) Charles Mingus (b) Roy Brooks (d, musical saw)

"Jazzhus Montmartre", Copenhagen, Denmark, August 28, 1972

Introduction By Dexter Gordon

Charles Mingus Quintet Featuring Dexter Gordon (White Label)

same session

"Jazzhus Montmartre", Copenhagen, Denmark, August 28, 1972

Jelly Roll Muddy Blues

I believe it's a Italian label:

Live and unissued recordings at the Montmartre Club of Copenhagen (DK) on August 28, 1972 :

CHARLES MINGUS QUINTET FEATURING DEXTER GORDON : Charles McPherson(as); Dexter Gordon(ts); John Foster(p); Charles Mingus(b); Roy Brooks(dr)

Jelly Roll Muddy Blues

The discography ends with the festival gigs from july 77 from various places in Europe like Italy, France and Spain. but I think Mingus also played in Tunisia during the summer of 1977. That´s where he got some of his inspirations for his final work "Three Worlds of Drums".

And didn´t he tour Arizona in autumn 1977? It is reported that his last concerts took place somewhere near his birthplace. He also intended to visit the "Mingus Mountain". It´s reported Mingus played one of his last concerts in Boulder and wanted to do an encore on piano, but as he sat down and wanted to play, the guy from the soundboard had started a tape of some Wheather Report recording, so Mingus left the stage.

No information or track list about those dates. I couldn´t find further informations.

What´s sure is, that after the recording date with Lionel Hampton in nov. 1977 Mingus had planned a tour to Europe with Larry Coryell, Phillip Catherine and John Scofield to promote the "Three Shades of Blues" album. I remember it already was announced to public in the German Jazz Magazin "Jazz Podium" but had to be cancelled.

so, I think the discography isn´t complete.

• 2 weeks later...

Pete C. following me in my teenage years? I was also at the concert that became Mingus at Carnegie Hall- I wonder, in these days of deluxe reissues, why this hasn't received that treatment. I was also at the Rollins concert in '73 with Mingus and Diz as guests.

Pete C. following me in my teenage years? I was also at the concert that became Mingus at Carnegie Hall- I wonder, in these days of deluxe reissues, why this hasn't received that treatment. I was also at the Rollins concert in '73 with Mingus and Diz as guests.

Sounds like it. Did you make it to the extended gigs Mingus and Blakey had at the Top of the Gate in '74 and '75. This was somewhat later, but were you at the Rollins concert where he collapsed on stage, while Wynton was soloing?

Sounds like it. Did you make it to the extended gigs Mingus and Blakey had at the Top of the Gate in '74 and '75. This was somewhat later, but were you at the Rollins concert where he collapsed on stage, while Wynton was soloing?

Missed those, did Rollins collapse as a result of Wynton's solo?:)

Missed those, did Rollins collapse as a result of Wynton's solo?:)

It was due to hypertension, it turned out. But he did what looked like a very comical flip backward, and everybody started laughing assuming it was a joke, like Sonny was floored by Wynton, but Sonny didn't get up, then Masuo (I think) went over to Sonny and started talking, and Sonny didn't respond, and Masuo motioned to the band to stop, and an ambulance was called, and the show was rescheduled.