Miles Davis: Get Up With It

Matthew

listened

strongly

to all

occurring

all

the time

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ yeah ~~~ like ~~~ totally cosmic ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

purely medical I hope ;)

Edited by David Ayers

• 1 year later...

IIRC everything on Get Up with It is on the One the Corner box set. Is there any difference in any of the mixes? ARe the longer pieces less compressed?

"Honky Tonk" isn't on the box set (you'll have to get the Jack Johnson box for that one), but everything else is, including an alternate of "Mtume." Mixes are from the LP masters. "Calypso Frelimo" could use a remastering--it's always sounded partially submerged to me.

I've always thought the mixes on Calypso and HLHM were dictated by the length of an album side: Both were over 30 minutes long, so they needed to compress the sound to fit. The moodiness/murkyness/otherworldliness of the sound contributes to the overall atmosphere of the compositions.

IIRC everything on Get Up with It is on the One the Corner box set. Is there any difference in any of the mixes? ARe the longer pieces less compressed?

"Honky Tonk" isn't on the box set (you'll have to get the Jack Johnson box for that one), but everything else is, including an alternate of "Mtume." Mixes are from the LP masters. "Calypso Frelimo" could use a remastering--it's always sounded partially submerged to me.

I love Miles's open horn playing on "Honky Tonk".

I love that recording, too. Miles frequently played "Honky Tonk" in live performances from this era, but in a somewhat simplified arrangement. Only the studio version has the very cool metric modulation between the 4/4 sections and the 12/8 sections - meaning that the two sections are at different tempos, with a tricky, subtle relationship between them.