Jazz albums w/ backup chorus or small vocal choir...

Rooster_Ties

3 hours ago, sgcim said:

The collaboration betwixt The Singers Unlimited and The Boss Brass was the best thing I've ever heard in that bag.

Gene Puerling meets Rob McConnell- that pretty much says it all...

You like Rob McConnell a lot more than I do, most people probably do, but SU w/Robert Farnon is more than sublime, more than superb, it's...unequivocal in its greatness.

I mean, JEEEESUS!!!!!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, JSngry said:

You like Rob McConnell a lot more than I do, most people probably do, but SU w/Robert Farnon is more than sublime, more than superb, it's...unequivocal in its greatness.

I mean, JEEEESUS!!!!!!

The Farnon album is wonderful!

But I know that Gene Puerling LOVED doing the album with Rob McConnell and the Boss Brass.  Probably did with everyone else too, but LOVED working with Rob.

(Gee two great Canadian arrangers -- Farnon and McConnell...)

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

I mean, JEEEESUS!!!!!!

How many albums did the SU do with Farnon? I have two -- "Sentimental Journey" and "Eventide."

23 hours ago, JSngry said:

I mean, JEEEESUS!!!!!!

When I went to Milt Hinton's estate sale, I was surprised to find that he had a bunch of Farnon CDs in his collection. I snatched up as many as I could. 

He also was a big fan of Frank Mantooth. I gobbled those up, too.

22 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

The Farnon album is wonderful!

But I know that Gene Puerling LOVED doing the album with Rob McConnell and the Boss Brass.  Probably did with everyone else too, but LOVED working with Rob.

(Gee two great Canadian arrangers -- Farnon and McConnell...)

I've never heard anything like the way they interwove the band and the SU on that album. On top of that, you had a third master of harmony, ED BICKERT on guitar!

Did you ever have any dealings with Bickert, Ted?

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 5:30 PM, sgcim said:

I've never heard anything like the way they interwove the band and the SU on that album. On top of that, you had a third master of harmony, ED BICKERT on guitar!

Did you ever have any dealings with Bickert, Ted?

Sure -- he's a friend, and I've done concerts and recordings with Ed for more than 40 years.

He's been retired for a long while now, but I still talk with him every now and then.  He's much-lauded and admired around Toronto and one sees him about concerts and clubs occasionally.  Ed's always been a bit of a hermit, though.  We used to think that if it hadn't been for his lovely outgoing wife he'd be happy just playing his wonderful music in his basement.

With a fine photographer Pat LaCroix (who's had a singing career as well) we created "Toronto Jazz Treasures", a portrait book with bios of 100 jazz masters here.  Ed's picture is, appropriately, the first!  This video includes the shot as the book is displayed...  http://www.torontojazztreasures.com/

On 2/25/2018 at 6:28 PM, Ted O'Reilly said:

Sure -- he's a friend, and I've done concerts and recordings with Ed for more than 40 years.

He's been retired for a long while now, but I still talk with him every now and then.  He's much-lauded and admired around Toronto and one sees him about concerts and clubs occasionally.  Ed's always been a bit of a hermit, though.  We used to think that if it hadn't been for his lovely outgoing wife he'd be happy just playing his wonderful music in his basement.

With a fine photographer Pat LaCroix (who's had a singing career as well) we created "Toronto Jazz Treasures", a portrait book with bios of 100 jazz masters here.  Ed's picture is, appropriately, the first!  This video includes the shot as the book is displayed...  http://www.torontojazztreasures.com/

Wow!! I'm extremely envious of your experience with Ed. Guitarists everywhere never tire of discussing what gauge (thickness) of strings he used. Do you think you could put thousands of us out of our misery by asking Ed the next time you speak with him if he used tens, elevens or twelves? And tell him we worship the ground he walks on, too.

Why did he retire? Was it his wife's passing? Some injury? 

Tell him we want him back!

5 hours ago, medjuck said:

Has anyone mentioned the Charlie Parker sides with vocal backings  arranged by Gil Evans?   

Hmmm, by Gil - really?  I don't know that I ever knew that.  (I presume we're talkin' about "Night & Day" - and were there any others similar?)

[My Parker knowledge is far more thin (less thick?) than I care to admit.]

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Hmmm, by Gil - really?  I don't know that I ever knew that.  (I presume we're talkin' about "Night & Day" - and were there any others similar?)

[My Parker knowledge is far more thin (less thick?) than I care to admit.]

Not that session, this one, might have been on the same album at some point.

http://www.jazzwax.com/2008/01/charlie-parker-and-voices-part-one.html

http://www.jazzwax.com/2008/01/charlie-parker-and-voices-part-two.html

I'm still not as sold on Dave Lambert as are his more ardent admirers.

• 7 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:18 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

R-3084369-1314976432.jpeg.jpg

https://youtu.be/yBgnwLJESlw

Enjoying the heck out of this today (couple times, actually), since I discovered the whole thing had been uploaded to YouTube just thing morning.  (I've had a single cut from this album on a V/A disc for a couple years, but this is my first time hearing the whole thing.)  One pretty cheesy movement around the 17:00 mark, but otherwise this is some lovely stuff:

Erich Kleinschuster-Sextett:  "Oberwarter Messe" (EMI, 1970)

• Art Farmer – trp, flgh
  • Hans Salomon – alto-sax
  • Erich Kleinschuster – trb
  • Fritz Pauer - fender-piano
  • Peter Marshall – b
  • Erich Bachträgl – drs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBgnwLJESlw

Drat, can't seem to get the video to embed (for directly playing it).  Oh well, trust me, this is worth hearing - so listen to it!

PS: Here's the 411 on it...

https://www.discogs.com/de/Erich-Kleinschuster-Sextett-Mitglieder-Des-Wiener-Staatsopernchores-Oberwarter-Messe/release/3084369

I just scored a copy of this on eBay over the weekend, $32 shipped to my door (ouch, but every other copy I've seen since February has been double or triple that, including international shipping.  The one I got is only coming from Moscow, thankfully -- Moscow IDAHO!! :g

Next I gotta track down a score for this (which actually didn't look all that impossible when I looked back in March), and see if this is something our church choir (Unitarian) can perform.  Seriously.