Jazz albums w/ backup chorus or small vocal choir...

Rooster_Ties

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a semi-obscure Coleman Hawkins release on Savoy called The Hawk Returns that features an unidentified vocal chorus on two tunes, I'll Follow My Secret Heart and What A Difference A Day Made. Nice album. 12 short tracks. Recorded in 1954. No personnel listed other than Boddy Smith on drums. Would be interested in who the organ player is. Maybe someone who has the Lord Discography could weigh in on this.

Edited by Dave James

Has anybody heard (seen) this Billy Harper DVD?? (Description courtesy of The Bastardsâ„¢)

harper_bill_billyharp_101b.jpg

Billy Harper In Concert – Live From Poland (DVD)

DVD (Item 493845) Arkadia, 2007 — Condition: New Copy

One of the most ambitious recordings we've ever heard from saxophonist Billy Harper – a beautifully spiritual set performed live in Poland with a large choir of voices backing him up! The sound really takes us back to some of Harper's recordings of this nature from the start of the 70s – and the Polish group does a surprisingly good job of getting the spirit right to match some of Billy's best musical impulses – on a set of tunes that includes "Cry Of Hunger", "The Awakening", "Quest", "Thy Will Be Done", "Speak To Me Of Love Speak To Me Of Truth", and "Light Within". Approximately 80 minutes, with bonus features. (DVD is NTSC coded.)

There's a semi-obscure Coleman Hawkins release on Savoy called The Hawk Returns that features an unidentified vocal chorus on two tunes, I'll Follow My Secret Heart and What A Difference A Day Made. Nice album. 12 short tracks. Recorded in 1954. No personnel listed other than Boddy Smith on drums. Would be interested in who the organ player is. Maybe someone who has the Lord Discography could weigh in on this.

Ruppli's Savoy discography only gives the following:

Recorded May 27, 1954, Chicago (purchased from Parrot label)

Coleman Hawkins (ts), with unknown organ, piano, bass, Buddy Smith (drums), vocal choir

Coleman Hawkins (ts), with unknown organ, piano, bass, Buddy Smith (drums), vocal choir

Thanks for checking. I wonder if anyone really knows. I'm only curious because the organist's sound is a bit off the beaten path. Not anything radical, just kind of different.

Edited by Dave James

I know there's another Max Roach date with choir ("Lift Every Voice and Sing", Atlantic 1971), which is on my wish-list now (haven't ever heard it) -- how is it??

Free-ish interpretations of spirituals. Not all that it could have been, but definitely worth a listen or three, imo.

Billy Harper is great on this album (I believe his first with Roach), which alone makes it worth listening/owning.

Billy's always great, but I found myself not hearing enough of him on this album. I like to hear lots of Billy Harper.

ME TOO !!!! :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

Thanks for checking. I wonder if anyone really knows. I'm only curious because the organist's sound is a bit off the beaten path. Not anything radical, just kind of different.

from the Red Saunders Foundation page

The Hawk releases that we have heard back him with organ, piano, guitar, bass, and drums. We thought the organist was Lonnie Simmons, who was in the midst of a long-running gig at the Club DeLisa at the time, and would record his own session for Parrot in a couple of months. But Craig Browning notes that the organist sounds like the legendary Les Strand (who was credited, in an entry in Leonard Feather's encyclopedia, with making his debut on a Coleman Hawkins recording for "Peacock"). Comparing these sides with Les Strand's 1957 LP for Fantasy, and Lonnie Simmons' own session for Parrot, Browning says that Simmons "plays with more block chords and heavier vibrato than does Les Strand" (email, December 21, 2004). The guitarist solos on "Blue Blue Days"; he appears to be Leo Blevins, who was on Hawk's Toast of the Town gig. On "What a Difference a Day Made" Hawk's accompaniment swells to include a rather square choir, though unlike their counterparts on Charlie Parker's "Old Folks," they sing nothing but scat syllables. The choir, still restricted to nonwords, resurfaces on the second ballad, "I'll Follow My Secret Heart." The pianist gets a solo on this number. "I'll See You Later" is a straightahead jazz performance. Strand clogs the texture a bit, and his solo is definitely pre-Jimmy Smith, but Hawk keeps the number aloft.

Ah, yes:

The standard date for the Coleman Hawkins session is clearly wrong. Following all existing discographies, John Chilton's book The High and Mighty Hawk puts this session on May 27, 1954, while Hawk was headlining at the Beehive in Chicago. But the releases on Parrot 783 and 784 took place in September or October of 1953. And their matrix numbers are early in the 53100 series, sandwiched between a batch of sessions from August 10 and another bach of sessions from September. The date wasn't May 27, 1953, either. Coleman Hawkins was pictured in the Chicago Defender of June 4, 1953, annoucing a gig at the Beehive slated to start on June 12 of that year (Hawk's contract for 4 weeks was accepted and filed by Local 208 on June 18). Hawk moved to the Toast of the Town on August 7; members of his band on that job--Laurell Howell, Tom Phillips, and guitarist Leo Blevins--were hauled in front of the Board of Local 208 on August 20, 1953 because of some dispute arising out of Hawk's gig. (Unfortunately, Local 208's Secretary William Everett Samuels, who had a gift for taking down beefs using the speech patterns of the contending parties, was on vacation, and his stand-in didn't bother to describe what the dispute was about.) Our conclusion: Hawk's Parrot session took place in August, during the Toast of the Town engagement. The gig was over by the end of the month, judging from the fact that Leo Blevins next picked up a job as a leader at the Paris Club (contract posted September 3).

• 2 weeks later...

Got Roach's "Lift Every Voice and Sing" in today's mail, and I'm on my third spin (hadn't ever heard it before). (Got it as a two-fer with "Members...", which I already had as a single.)

Lot's of good moments (anything with Billy soloing is good!) -- but all around, "It's Time" is a much stronger date. Stronger chorus on "It's Time" for one, tighter, and the vocal arrangements are a lot more interesting.

Not sorry I got it, but was a little disappointed.

Lateef's Hush 'N' Thunder is really uneven. I enjoy parts of it, and the vocals aren't any great revelation. It's a fun album for its unexpected turns. The strongest part for me is still "Destination Paradise," the instrumental song I mentioned earlier.

• 1 year later...

Circa 1969 Atlantic released The Best of Rahsaan Roland Kirk. It included a song with a children's chorus called I think The Reason Why, but that may not be quite acccurate. I haven't heard it in years.

on Volunteered Slavery - 'Search for the Reason Why'. Also on that album, with choir, is 'Spirits Up Above' which I really love.

I guess given their complexity, I'm kind of surprised that Perkinson DIDN'T do the arrangements on Andrew Hill's two "Lift Every Voice" sessions, but rather those were both done by Lawrence Marshall, who also sang in the group on both dates. Anybody know anything about him?? Was he ever involved in anything else pertinent to this thread?

Bump for another question I hadn't seen any discussion of yet...

Anyone know anything about Lawrence Marshall, the director of the vocal jazz group(s) on Andrew Hill's "Lift Every Voice"??

Maybe the most difficult choral parts of any jazz date I can think of.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Well, not to mention about a hundred disco jazz records with vocal groups, which I don't think anyone wants to hear about :) there are several tracks with vocal chorus on David Newman's 'Many facets of" on Atlantic. Also the Sweet Inspirations backed some cuts on his later 'The weapon', which was not a good LP.

Also yet another LP entitled 'Lift every voice' - this one by Jack McDuff, on JAM, featuring the Mt Pisgah (misspelt Pisque) Baptist Church Choir of Chicago. Interesting tunes. As well as the title cut, there were Gil Scott-Heron's 'This is a prayer for everybody', Jeff Lorber's 'Night love' apparently with McDuff's words, and Trane's 'Naima'. A very interesting album.

George Braith had a vocal chorus on one track of 'Musart' (Prestige) and the whole of Boptronics (Excellence) features a vocal chorus and some solo singing.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the 2 albums by DOnald Byrd - 'A new perspective' and 'I'm tryin' to get home', both of which had a chorus arranged by Coleridge Perkinson. I greatly prefer the first one, despite the appearances of Grant Green and Freddie Roach on the latter.

Oh, Pharoah Sanders (or the proprietors of Theresa Records) overdubbed a chorus, including Flame Braithwaite (George Braith's daughter) on the title track of 'Heart is a melody' recorded live at Keystone Korner, for some reason to me incomprehensible. (ANdy Bey was in the chorus, too.)

'The gospel soul of Houston Person' (Savoy) features the Atlanta Philharmonic Choir and the Ogletree Brothers, arranged by Horace Ott. A very nice album, which straddles the boundary between Soul Jazz and Gospel very well.

The absolute best one, in my view, has got to be Freddie Roach's 'All that's good'. That's a totaly wunnerful album, in every way, including the Grandassa girls on the cover.

Can't think of any more just now.

MG

There are some tracks with a choir on this Duke Pearson LP (also included in the Mosaic Select) - one track has Andy Bey singing with them :wub: :

41syE3jl5ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Sweet Inspirations also were on some of Yusef Lateef's Atlantic LPs, to nice effect, methinks - haven't heard that Newman LP you mentioned.

Edited by mikeweil

• 5 years later...

R-3084369-1314976432.jpeg.jpg

https://youtu.be/yBgnwLJESlw

Enjoying the heck out of this today (couple times, actually), since I discovered the whole thing had been uploaded to YouTube just thing morning.  (I've had a single cut from this album on a V/A disc for a couple years, but this is my first time hearing the whole thing.)  One pretty cheesy movement around the 17:00 mark, but otherwise this is some lovely stuff:

Erich Kleinschuster-Sextett:  "Oberwarter Messe" (EMI, 1970)

• Art Farmer – trp, flgh
  • Hans Salomon – alto-sax
  • Erich Kleinschuster – trb
  • Fritz Pauer - fender-piano
  • Peter Marshall – b
  • Erich Bachträgl – drs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBgnwLJESlw

Drat, can't seem to get the video to embed (for directly playing it).  Oh well, trust me, this is worth hearing - so listen to it!

PS: Here's the 411 on it...

https://www.discogs.com/de/Erich-Kleinschuster-Sextett-Mitglieder-Des-Wiener-Staatsopernchores-Oberwarter-Messe/release/3084369

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 weeks later...

What about the Swingle Swingers' records with jazz musicians? 

I'm thinking of their collaboration with the MJQ on Place Vendôme.

R-1858911-1283095094.jpeg.jpg

The Swingle Singers also collaborated with Stan Getz & Michel Legrand on Communication '72 -- even though they weren't credited.

R-1154294-1239014847.jpeg.jpg

I think both of these records are interesting in a "not your ordinary jazz" sort of way -- especially the Getz record.