UNIQLO BN T-Shirts

Steve Gray

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received my 3X tees yesterday (yes, Sunday) and can only say that they are like a slightly over-sized 2X.  I strongly suspect I will get one or two uses before the shrinkage will leave me, perhaps, using them as inspiration to get my shit together and lose weight.

On 6/27/2022 at 7:14 PM, felser said:

At $9.90 a pop, I ordered all five T-shirts.  I spend very little on clothes, and can actually always use more T-shirts.

Received them in two days, shipping was only like $8 total for the five shirts.  They're great.  100% cotton, substantial, stenciling is well done.  You do want to order a size larger than you normally do, they run a full size smaller than what they are listed as being.  

4 hours ago, T.D. said:

But I don't really need T-shirts and am too effin' cheap to pay $23.98 a pop...:(

Me too (or especially the “too cheap” part)…. but during the Covid lockdown, and literally an entire year wearing t-shirts at home, I realized I hadn’t bought more than two new t-shirts in over 10 years — and most all the other dozen(?) ones I’d been wearing were closer to 15 years old (and definitely showing it, despite line-drying them to try and preserve the various graphics).

So, yeah, $24 a pop is a bit much for a t-shirt — but if it’s something I’ll wear proudly for 15 years, that comes down to like less than $2 per year over the lifetime of the shirt…

Then, yeah, darn it — I think I’m gonna drop $50 or $75 on some new jazz-themed t-shirts this year, or maybe even $100 — why the heck not??

Judgement! - Out To LunchETC — maybe a few others (there’s Prisoner and Schizophrenia BN cover shirts I’ve been eyeing from another source recently too.  Not like opportunities like that present themselves every day — streetwear with BN titles like THAT!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

10 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Me too (or especially the “too cheap” part)…. but during the Covid lockdown, and literally an entire year wearing t-shirts at home, I realized I hadn’t bought more than two new t-shirts in over 10 years — and most all the other dozen(?) ones I’d been wearing were closer to 15 years old (and definitely showing it, despite line-drying them to try and preserve the various graphics).

So, yeah, $24 a pop is a bit much for a t-shirt — but if it’s something I’ll wear proudly for 15 years, that comes down to like less than $2 per year over the lifetime of the shirt…

Then, yeah, darn it — I think I’m gonna drop $50 or $75 on some new jazz-themed t-shirts this year, or maybe even $100 — why the heck not??

Judgement! - Out To LunchETC — maybe a few others (there’s Prisoner and Schizophrenia BN cover shirts I’ve been eyeing from another source recently too.  Not like opportunities like that present themselves every day — streetwear with BN titles like THAT!!

Just be aware that these Etsy sellers are just making an iron-on sticker themselves and putting them onto whatever shirt they have on hand. I am not saying that being unlicensed = bad quality. I'm saying unlicensed = unknown quality. You could buy these tee shirts from the Etsy seller and find out that the iron-on decal peels off after one washing.

Also, because many (all?) of these Etsy sellers are selling unlicensed product, they often get shut down, so returns are often non-existent.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

Just be aware that these Etsy sellers are just making an iron-on sticker themselves and putting them onto whatever shirt they have on hand. I am not saying that being unlicensed = bad quality. I'm saying unlicensed = unknown quality. You could buy these tee shirts from the Etsy seller and find out that the iron-on decal peels off after one washing.

Also, because many (all?) of these Etsy sellers are selling unlicensed product, they often get shut down, so returns are often non-existent.

This seller has reviews back to 2018 and I've found one bad review.  Virtually all are 5 star.

Have you experience or knowledge of one that had "decals" fall off in one washing? 

On 7/1/2022 at 5:55 PM, felser said:

Received them in two days, shipping was only like $8 total for the five shirts.  They're great.  100% cotton, substantial, stenciling is well done.  You do want to order a size larger than you normally do, they run a full size smaller than what they are listed as being.  

Saw the sizing caution late, but that just means re-arranging which kids got what.  I wound up with a couple Lee XLs.  Awesome bargain, quality as reported by Felser!!

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

This seller has reviews back to 2018 and I've found one bad review.  Virtually all are 5 star.

Have you experience or knowledge of one that had "decals" fall off in one washing? 

The idea that they’re possibly “cheap iron-ons” is what’s kept me from buying this sort of stuff for years — though some of these specific designs (probably from the same sellers?) I’ve literally been eyeing for 3-5 years(!) now.

But I agree, looking at the hundreds and hundreds of positive reviews — maybe finally — is just too tempting NOT to take a chance on. Maybe it’ll be great, maybe it’ll be crap — but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Elsewhere online, there’s also black t-shirt with the Miles Davis “Big Fun” cover on it — except it’s the green trumpet bell and lettering with the BLACK background of the shirt (instead of the blue background of the cover) — and it looks really, REALLY nice — and I’m eyeing that one too.

And a simple “Birth of the Cool” cover one too (on a black t-shirt).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Etsy is basically an online craft fair. If you're gone to and bought things at craft fairs, there are some great craftsmen & women there, but there are also some that are just in it to make a buck. A tide clock I bought at a craft fair was great. A watch I bought for my mom fell apart in less than a year.

I've bought many items from several Etsy sellers over the years and the quality ranges from awesome to not-so-good depending on the seller. My daughters have bought tee shirts and scarves from various Etsy sellers with the same results.

So I am not saying that this seller is selling the bad stuff, just that you need to be aware of the chance that he/she might sell you a poorly-made tee shirt and that you might have no one to complain to if you get a dud.

BTW - my oldest daughter is a kindergarten teacher so she has bought several tools to make her own tee shirts, including a high end (commercial grade) iron-on machine, and making a good tee like this is not easy. One of the most important things is starting with a good "blank". If she uses the thin ones in the dollar store, they last for a handful of washings. If she uses heavyweight tees, they last a lot longer. I have no idea if the Bella + Canvas tee shirt that this seller uses is a good one or not, nor how it fits. Hopefully they're better-sized than Uniqlo's. :)

1 hour ago, Late said:

il_1588xN.2902084187_lv98.jpg

"Did you know that George Barrow is on this album?"
"What album?"

What kind of album title is "Blues and the Abscess Tooth"?

:)

Edited by bresna

15 minutes ago, bresna said:

Etsy is basically an online craft fair. If you're gone to and bought things at craft fairs, there are some great craftsmen & women there, but there are also some that are just in it to make a buck. A tide clock I bought at a craft fair was great. A watch I bought for my mom fell apart in less than a year.

I've bought many items from several Etsy sellers over the years and the quality ranges from awesome to not-so-good depending on the seller. My daughters have bought tee shirts and scarves from various Etsy sellers with the same results.

So I am not saying that this seller is selling the bad stuff, just that you need to be aware of the chance that he/she might sell you a poorly-made tee shirt and that you might have no one to complain to if you get a dud.

BTW - my oldest daughter is a kindergarten teacher so she has bought several tools to make her own tee shirts, including a high end (commercial grade) iron-on machine, and making a good tee like this is not easy. One of the most important things is starting with a good "blank". If she uses the thin ones in the dollar store, they last for a handful of washings. If she uses heavyweight tees, they last a lot longer. I have no idea if the Bella + Canvas tee shirt that this seller uses is a good one or not, nor how it fits. Hopefully they're better-sized than Uniqlo's. :)

What kind of album title is "Blues and the Abscess Tooth"?

:)

According to the Etsy listing page: 100% combed ring-spun cotton (which is a plus), 4.2 oz (which is a minus - "standard" weight is 4.5-5.3oz)

See also https://kalamazoospiritshoppe.com/fast-guide-common-t-shirt-fabric-differences/

For reference, "Hanes Beefy-T", which I've always considered the gold standard of printed T-shirts, seems to be approx. 6.1 oz combed ring-spun cotton.

So fabric weight seems lighter than preferred. Can't speak to the logo, but that looks risky for the designs I like (posted above). More reasons to hold off for now.

IMO, at around $24 per shirt they oughta use Hanes Beefy-T blanks.

11 minutes ago, T.D. said:

According to the Etsy listing page: 100% combed ring-spun cotton (which is a plus), 4.2 oz (which is a minus - "standard" weight is 4.5-5.3oz)

See also https://kalamazoospiritshoppe.com/fast-guide-common-t-shirt-fabric-differences/

For reference, "Hanes Beefy-T", which I've always considered the gold standard of printed T-shirts, seems to be approx. 6.1 oz combed ring-spun cotton.

So fabric weight seems lighter than preferred. Can't speak to the logo, but that looks risky for the designs I like (posted above). More reasons to hold off for now.

IMO, at around $24 per shirt they oughta use Hanes Beefy-T blanks.

My daughter uses the Hanes Beefy Tees for the ones she wants to last. When she makes a tee for a one-time outing, she buys a batch of cheapies from the dollar store.

To be fair, I fished out the most recent printed 100% cotton T-shirt I acquired (OK, was comped) a few years ago.

Can't make out the thread weight, but looking up the mfr. (Next Level), I figure it's 4.3 oz., close to the Etsy seller's (though I don't know the brand they use).

It's pretty decent: nice soft fabric, definitely on the light side but cooler for hot weather wear. Won't last nearly as long as Beefy-T blanks, but by no means crapola.

Edited by T.D.

OK, I am THIS CLOSE to pulling the trigger on these two shirts online.  I think Miles "Big Fun" looks especially nice on Black -- MUCH nicer than the album cover, actually -- and it'll come to about $24 incl. shipping.

I'm a little on the fence about Herbie "The Prisoner" (only ~$18 shipped, cheaper because I'm getting it along with "Big Fun" on the same order) -- but it is my all-time favorite Herbie leader-date.  I'm not fanatical about the cover-design of "The Prisoner" generally speaking, but I think I'll be kicking myself later if I don't get it at the same time.

Gonna mull 'em both over for a few more hours, or maybe until tomorrow.

Doesn't that Miles design look especially great on black??  Edit: to say Big Fun isn’t even necessarily my favorite 70’s Miles album (I probably bounce around between 6 different ones, one 6 different days.)  I just think that “Big Fun” graphic looks totally bad-ass on black.

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Edited by Rooster_Ties