UNIQLO BN T-Shirts

Steve Gray

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if there are many good sizes left, but those UNIQLO t-shirts are a huge bargain.  Bought four, gave two to kids, have two more on the way.  Quote this morning from my 20 year old, "I don't know who this Morgan guy is, but this is a great shirt".  :P

OK, I just ordered the Miles Davis "Big Fun" shirt.

But I decided not to get the purple Herbie "Prisoner" shirt -- much as I love the album itself, the basic cover design just isn't all that appealing (never was, I'm afraid).  "Big Fun" was $29.09, once I added shipping and tax.  Fingers crossed the quality is at least decent.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

OK, I bit the bullet and ordered the 3 shirts from the UK source -- "Green Street", "Electric Bird" and "Birth of the Cool".  In order to get the 25% off coupon to work, I had to get all three (3) shirts -- so the 3rd shirt was basically about $8 more than if I ordered just two shirts.

With shipping, it was £49.93 (Google says that's about $59.54).  Would have been over $50 for just two shirts.  Again, hoping the quality is at least decent.

All told (including the "Big Fun" shirt, which I got separately off eBay), it was about $88 total for 4 shirts, or $22 a pop.  Which includes all shipping charges -- three of the shirts are coming from Winsford, Cheshire (UK) -- and shockingly the shipping on those was only $6 total.

BTW, the discount-code for 25% off at djtees.com was:  ROCKDOWN25  (And it seemed like I had to get 3 shirts to use it, though it never really said that -- it just didn't work when I only had two shirts in my cart.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I'll admit, Green Street, Somethin' Else and Midnight Blue are calling to me pretty strong. But Bresna's warning applies here too I am sure ... maybe after I see how the Etsy tees turn out. I won't be surprised if that code stays valid.

BTW, “Birth of the Cool” was really the only reason I bothered getting the 3 from the UK source.

“Green Street” is a fine album, but that’s true of 15 or even 20 of Green’s leader-dates. BUT, that dark green on black will hopefully look as good as it does in the rendering.

And never in a million years would I have imagined owning an “Electric Byrd” shirt. I like the album, sure. But so too of 15 or even 20 other Byrd albums. But that minimalistic ‘bird’ design on black like that is simple, and I hope it turns out as nice as it looks.

PS: I’m actually thinking “Electric Bird” will be good for going to rock concerts. It’s subtle, but eye-catching (or at least it would certainly catch my eye).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

23 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

BTW, “Birth of the Cool” was really the only reason I bothered getting the 3 from the UK source.

“Green Street” is a fine album, but that’s true of 15 or even 20 of Green’s leader-dates. BUT, that dark green on black will hopefully look as good as it does in the rendering.

And never in a million years would I have imagined owning an “Electric Byrd” shirt. I like the album, sure. But so too of 15 or even 20 other Byrd albums. But that minimalistic ‘bird’ design on black like that is simple, and I hope it turns out as nice as it looks.

Please post when you receive them. I am currently holding off on an order of the three I listed out.

19 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Please post when you receive them. I am currently holding off on an order of the three I listed out.

Same too, can you post when you get whatever you got from that one Etsy seller? Which ones did you order? (Or did you order any yet?)

I’m really on the fence about getting that Wayne Shorter “Etc” shirt from them — mostly about doubting the quality — although they’ve also simplified Patrick Roques design in several ways. They took out the Blue Note logo and catalog number entirely, simplified the texture of the big lettering (which is just solid on the shirt), and there’s no ‘stereo’ in the left hand corner — basically everything that makes it look like an actual album cover.

They also removed Wayne’s name from the line-up, from the line with Herbie, Cecil and Joe’s names (but that’s probably OK, since his name is also bigger in orange by Wayne’s picture).

It’s still highly evocative of the Roques cover, but since it’s not an actual Reid Miles design, I guess it’s ok.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Those original Plugged Nickel covers are pretty out there (not necessarily a bad thing, nor necessarily good either) — just really out there.

Have you ever owned either or both, Jim? Or even seen one up close and in person, out in the wild?

I could be down with those designs on a shirt, but I’m not quite there on first glance — not like I was with that Big Fun one, specifically on black. That green horn bell on black just ‘pops’ visually like all get-out! (But we’ll see what it really looks like for real when it gets here.)

29 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Same too, can you post when you get whatever you got from that one Etsy seller? Which ones did you order? (Or did you order any yet?)

I’m really on the fence about getting that Wayne Shorter “Etc” shirt from them — mostly about doubting the quality — although they’ve also simplified Patrick Roques design in several ways. They took out the Blue Note logo and catalog number entirely, simplified the texture of the big lettering (which is just solid on the shirt), and there’s no ‘stereo’ in the left hand corner — basically everything that makes it look like an actual album cover.

They also removed Wayne’s name from the line-up, from the line with Herbie, Cecil and Joe’s names (but that’s probably OK, since his name is also bigger in orange by Wayne’s picture).

It’s still highly evocative of the Roques cover, but since it’s not an actual Reid Miles design, I guess it’s ok.

I decided to pass on the Etsy seller. I was looking at some complex designs, in particular RRK The Case of the 3 Sided Dream in Audio Color.

But a recent 4-star review (which I consider lukewarm since Internet reviews seem biased to 5-star) was for that exact cover, said that the T-shirt was fine but the design "low resolution".

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Those original Plugged Nickel covers are pretty out there (not necessarily a bad thing, nor necessarily good either) — just really out there.

Have you ever owned either or both, Jim? Or even seen one up close and in person, out in the wild?

I could be down with those designs on a shirt, but I’m not quite there on first glance — not like I was with that Big Fun one, specifically on black. That green horn bell on black just ‘pops’ visually like all get-out! (But we’ll see what it really looks like for real when it gets here.)

Those original Plugged Nickel covers are my every day life at work! :) Do a Google image search for "IC die bonds". Here's one where they etched away the mold (with foaming Nitric Acid) to see why the die is no longer working:

integrated circuit - What is a "DIE" package? - Electrical Engineering  Stack Exchange

I work with "bonding diagrams" all the time. In fact, I'm getting some die built up in our Wilmington prototype lab right now.

I also create little needles to touch down on all of those pads before those wires get attached. I have to test some of these die up 90 GHz.

Like this:

What is a wafer probe test? - Quora

Edited by bresna

39 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

These are en route right now:

If they are low res or otherwise crappy, c'est la vie. 

Lemme know how they turn out, the Dizzy Reece especially.

I just noticed that in addition to Wayne’s “etcetera” — this seller also has two Jackie McLean BN covers: “Let Freedom Ring” and “Action! Action! Action!” — all of which are tempting.

14 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Lemme know how they turn out, the Dizzy Reece especially.

I just noticed that in addition to Wayne’s “etcetera” — this seller also has two Jackie McLean BN covers: “Let Freedom Ring” and “Action! Action! Action!” — all of which are tempting.

Just realized I posted Timmons twice. This is the fourth one:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/701698724/band-tees-for-men-vintage-t-shirt-design?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=lou+donaldson&ref=sr_gallery-1-4&pro=1&organic_search_click=1

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I have both, bought from Jazz Record Mart in 1981, during a three week gig in Des Plaines, with a "hotel show band". It was funny, too, you had to order them a week in advance, because it was one of those things where if you didn't reserve it, you wouldn't get it, they were selling with that kind of rapidity.

First saw/heard the a few years before. A college buddy from Houston had them somehow. They were really pricey, around $330/per iirc. Way of range on a student budget, but for somebody who got paid cash weekly, not too big of a sacrifice.

Those records were "legendary" right off the bat, actually, and that was before a lot of people actually heard them! :g

47 minutes ago, JSngry said:

First saw/heard the a few years before. A college buddy from Houston had them somehow. They were really pricey, around $330/per iirc. Way of range on a student budget, but for somebody who got paid cash weekly, not too big of a sacrifice.

$330? Each?? Is that about what you paid for them?? Surely that’s a typo, and maybe you meant $33 each. Even that would have been kinda pricy ($66 for both) back in ‘81. Tell me you didn’t really mean $330.

Got a prompt (automated?) and I can only presume ‘encouraging’ msg from the eBay seller that I got the “Big Fun” shirt from, saying…

This product is 100 % satisfaction guaranteed. Period!
- Your satisfaction and positive feedback is very important to us.
- If you have any problems with our items or services, please feel free to contact us first before leaving negative feedback or opening a case, we will do our best to solve any problems and provide you with the best customer service.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I know, right?

fat-fingers amuck.

Now, let's be hipper than hip and push the envelope - liner notes/back covers on t-shirts. Either put them on the back of the shirt, or on the front by itself.

That [emphasis added] would be awesome! I'd happily pay up for those shirts.