UNIQLO BN T-Shirts

Steve Gray

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this RootsMusic seller on Etsy is definitely bigger than assumed. One t-shirt arrived yesterday, shipped from NJ. And he said the other three were shipping from a different supplier, which turns out to be in Texas.  And I could swear I noticed that the seller is in Hialeah FL - a reason I initially figured there would be faster than usual delivery. Not exactly an out-back-in-the-garage production model.

The first one looks very nice; the other three are due in my mailbox today. I'll report after at least one has gone thru a wash.

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

That seller is probably a middle-man, you think? They put up the front, get the orders and then assign them to whoever, maybe like a DoorDash kind of thing?

Well definitely deals with companies that will drop-ship.  It makes me think of a higher-end production effort, like Zazzle. I'd say it could be Zazzle except for the fact that I once tried to get a photo of a six year old wearing a Red Sox shirt and giving the Yankees the finger, and they refused for trademark infringement.  A one-off t-shirt I wouldn't mark for sale on the Zazzle marketplace.

32 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

...a photo of a six year old wearing a Red Sox shirt and giving the Yankees the finger, and they refused for trademark infringement. 

Who dares to own the trademark of the finger? Those motherfuckers need to be brought to justice!

15 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Well definitely deals with companies that will drop-ship.  It makes me think of a higher-end production effort, like Zazzle. I'd say it could be Zazzle except for the fact that I once tried to get a photo of a six year old wearing a Red Sox shirt and giving the Yankees the finger, and they refused for trademark infringement.  A one-off t-shirt I wouldn't mark for sale on the Zazzle marketplace.

MLB protects their trademarks much more actively than a company like Blue Note.

I got the “Big Fun” shirt in the mail today (that I got off eBay). And for what is surely an unlicensed product — I’m pretty impressed.

Maybe an 8 on a 10 scale? (in terms of quality)… and in reality, a 10 probably isn’t even possible, so maybe it’s more like an 8.5 then.

The size actually ran petty true (XL), and the quality of the t-shirt alone is maybe an 8/10. Not quite as heavy as it could be, but certainly not thin. For $29 including shipping, I think it turned out pretty good. We’ll see how it holds up over time.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I was walking down the hall of my office the other day, when I did a double-take. A younger guy (~24) walking towards me had on a "Cornbread" tee shirt. I said, "Hey, I like your tee shirt. Who is your favorite player on it?" He responded that he's never heard it. He was walking by a Uniqlo store in Boston and saw that they were having a clearance sale and he thought this shirt looked cool. :)

BTW - the Small shirt fit him fine. :)

I told him I had the music on my external hard drive if he wanted to hear it but he said it was on Spotify and planned to listen to it later. He told me he likes Jazz and recommended Pharoah Sanders' latest, which he described as an amalgam of Jazz & electronic music. I still haven't heard that one ("Promises").

31 minutes ago, bresna said:

I told him I had the music on my external hard drive if he wanted to hear it but he said it was on Spotify and planned to listen to it later. He told me he likes Jazz and recommended Pharoah Sanders' latest, which he described as an amalgam of Jazz & electronic music. I still haven't heard that one ("Promises").

Sanders is going through a moment. Lots of the younger people I work with say they like jazz and they all point to Sanders as one of the jazz artists whom they love most. Younger record shop staff who know that I like free jazz are often keen to talk about him.

It's quite a weird one, because I'm not sure how many people on this forum would zero in on Sanders, even among the free-er players, as the great stand out of his era. But something about his positioning as one of the greats of "spiritual jazz" means that he is extremely popular. Perhaps it helps that his music is very 'conscious', but not really that abrasive, and there's often a blissed out quality to the accompanying musicians on his classic records (LLS, on keys, in particular). I've learned the hard way recently that younger fans of Sanders and 'free jazz' music do not necessarily have much interest in the the musicians that, to my mind, are part of that movement, like Ayler or Ornette. Something has shifted in the perception of this music.

I think that the same is true of Sun Ra's late 70s stuff, which seems to be similarly prized.

That Promises record was a bit divisive but I thought Sanders himself was good, and the record was overall fine. Not so sure about Floating Points' music or his writing for strings, both of which I find insipid and dull, but there's no denying that the record made a big splash, which is surely a good thing.

Edited by Rabshakeh

I think that Pharoah's current currency amongst those lucky youngsters also owes something to the influence of Gilles P and his ilk.  There's quite an established Jazz/dance crossover appeal for the later post-Impulse dates amongst that crowd which I think filters through to younger DJs/taste influencers today.  I could of course be completely wrong...

'Promises' really worked for me but not as a Jazz album per se which is where I think some of the stick came from. Also helps that I rated Floating Points beforehand.

Also, to keep thread relevant, I have five Uniqlo BN or Prestige t-shirts bought over the years.

Edited by mjazzg

2 hours ago, bresna said:

I was walking down the hall of my office the other day, when I did a double-take. A younger guy (~24) walking towards me had on a "Cornbread" tee shirt. I said, "Hey, I like your tee shirt. Who is your favorite player on it?" He responded that he's never heard it. He was walking by a Uniqlo store in Boston and saw that they were having a clearance sale and he thought this shirt looked cool. :)

BTW - the Small shirt fit him fine. :)

I saw someone wearing that ‘Cornbread’ tee at a jazz festival during the weekend, presumably the same source.

Remember seeing Pharoah a couple of times around 1990 and there seemed to be pretty minimal currency with the youngsters (which included me at the time - although not me of course !)

Couple weeks ago I saw a skinny black kid, all of 16, wearing an Out to Lunch shirt out on the street downtown, not far from where I work. Gave him a nice shoutout, and I think it startled the fuck out of him. He was in a group of about 4-5 of his age cohort.

There’s a UNIQLO store in Union Station here, where I had my order shipped (free shipping!), and I’m sure he got it there.

I got two (2) Judgement shirts, and just one Out to Lunch —all XL— back when they were $15 each ($5 off the original price), so I timed my procrastination perfectly, saved $15, and still got my size.

The Judgement shirt might just be the best quality graphic T I’ve ever owned, because they only had to print the part of the cover with colors — and the black background (in the cover) is just the black t-shirt material. Same idea with the Big Fun shirt.

But Out to Lunch had to print an entire square block of the entire cover (none of the shirt color itself ‘shows thru’ as part of the representation of the cover.

AND, I’m similarly hopeful that Green Street, Electric Byrd, and Birth of the Cool will all let the black fabric ‘show thru’ for the large percentage of the image (cover) that is black in each one. Fingers crossed!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Or Larry Young's 'Into Somethin''

hey, a whole new thread "Trying to help out Uniqlo by suggesting designs"...;)

In fact, thinking about a couple of them I've had for some years they do exactly as you suggest.  My favourite is Anthony Willams' 'Spring' which simply has a horizontal thick orange stripe across the chest with the text across the top of that and the 'Let freedom Ring' design has no borders, just the text/design over a white tee.

Edited by mjazzg

15 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I think Uniglo would appreciate it if all the old fat white guys would stop accosting their youthful clientele about their product. :g

If only they realised. But they do need us to hoover up all the L and over stock

Edited by mjazzg

29 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I think Uniglo would appreciate it if all the old fat white guys would stop accosting their youthful clientele about their product. :g

I'm old and white but I ain't fat. ;)

Haven't yet seen any Uniqlo jazz t-shirts in the flesh, but would probably accost any wearer I encounter, regardless of age.

Edited by T.D.