Atlantic Sessions You Still Can't Find on CD

bebopbob

With Koch Jazz, Collectables, Wounded Bird, Label M and Warner Rhino having reissued many classic Atlantic LPs on CD, hopefully there's a possibility that the following Atlantic LPs will be reissued on CD soon.

Charles Bell and the Contemporary Jazz Quartet - Another Dimension - Atlantic 1400

The Modern Jazz Quartet Plays George Gershwin's Porgy and Bess - Atlantic 1440

Newport Jazz Festival All Stars - Atlantic 1331 (never heard this one but sounds interesting)

Historic Jazz Concert at Music Inn - Atlantic 1298 (never heard this one but sounds interesting)

Cy Walter Plays Richard Rodgers - Atlantic 1236

Shorty Rogers - The Swingin' Mr. Rogers - Atlantic 1212

A couple other Atlantic LPs that do not seem to have made it to CD:

- Bill Russo 'The World of Alcina' (1241)

- Harry Lookofsky 'Stringville' (1319)

Both are excellent and unusual dates that are very much worthy of reissues.

Also I think several tracks (the ones with Giuffre) of the 'Historic Jazz Concert at Music Inn' were included in the Mosaic Jimmy Giuffre box.

That Charles Bell would be great to have on cd! One of my first two jazz albums, part of a "care package" for Peace Corps volunteers in the late sixties; the other was Leo Wright's "Blues Shout" which HAS made it to cd. One of the volunteers in Swaziland gave me his copies of these, and I've loved them ever since. They're a big reason I'm a jazz fan.

Have the Grasella Oliphant LPs made it to CD? GRASS ROOTS (1965) has Bobby Hutcherson, while THE GRASS IS GREENER (1968) has a core trio of Oliphant (drums), John Patton, and Grant Green augmented on some tracks by Clark Terry and Harold Ousley.

Lon, I'm with you on that Leo Wright 'Blues Shout' album. I had missed on that LP when it came out. And it was the mention of Gigi Gryce contributing arrangements for the date in the 'Rat Race Blues' book on Gryce by Noal Cohen and Michael Fitzgerald that brought my attention to the session. Was lucky to get an excellent copy of the LP shortly after. Great album!

Have the Grasella Oliphant LPs made it to CD? GRASS ROOTS (1965) has Bobby Hutcherson, while THE GRASS IS GREENER (1968) has a core trio of Oliphant (drums), John Patton, and Grant Green augmented on some tracks by Clark Terry and Harold Ousley.

Not to my knowledge.

The Atlantic1331 Newport Festival album has a photo showing a daylight Newport festival scene from the audience. Lineup includes the usual George Wein suspects: Buck Clayton, Vic Dickenson, PeeWee Russell, Bud Freeman, Wein, Champ Jones, Jake Hanna. A nice session that was recorded at Wein's Storyville club, not at Newport :unsure:

Not to my knowledge.

"Grass is Greener" (AMCY 1285) was released on CD by Atlantic Japan. It's now OOP.

Thanks to frankc for hooking me up with this disc a few months back. I traded "Natural Essence" for it...and would do it again ten times over. This session smokes! It's appeared sporadically on Ebay and on this board. If I recall correctly, grey sold one on this board (though, god forbid, to me) and jlhoots sold one on Ebay.

Edited by undergroundagent

Historic Jazz Concert at Music Inn - Atlantic 1298 (never heard this one but sounds interesting)

Is this the one with Sonny Rollins?

That's a 1956 concert at Music Inn with Jimmy Giuffre present on most tracks. He pairs with PeeWee Russell, Rex Stewart and Teddy Charles. Those sides were in the Giuffre Mosaic box.

There's also a track with Herbie Mann on flute. No Giuffre.

And no CD yet, or so it seems.

Atlantic released two more albums from Music Inn concert. Both were by the Modern Jazz Quartet with Jimmy Giuffre as guest on one, Sonny Rollins on the second.

I've been waiting for "The Modern Jazz Quartet At the Music Inn" (Atl. 1247) with Jimmy Giuffre for years.

"The Historic Jazz Concert At Music Inn" (Atl. 1298), was recorded two days later (August 30, 1956) with with a larger group including Giuffre, Pee Wee Russell, Rex Stewart, Herbie Mann, Teddy Charles, Dick Katz.

"The Modern Jazz Quartet At Music Inn vol. 2 " (Atl. 1299) with Rollins was recorded two years later, and has been out on CD for years.

Mostly, though, these Music Inn/Lenox School of Jazz recordings have not made it to CD yet, and maybe they'd make an interesting box set.

Other records included could be "Third Stream Music" (Atl. 1345), by the MJQ (and guests), John Lewis' "The Wonderful World Of Jazz" (Atl. 1375) with Herb Pomeroy, Jimmy Giuffre, Gunther Schuller, Jim Hall, John Lewis and Connie Kay, and John Lewis/Gary McFarland's "Essence" (Atl. 1425).

Edited by Roger Hiles

Mostly, though, these Music Inn/Lenox School of Jazz recordings have not made it to CD yet, and maybe they'd make an interesting box set.

Would fit on a Mosaic Select I'd buy on the spot! Judging from the tracks in the Giuffre Mosaic and the MJQ disc reissued in Japan, they sound beautiful!