Info regarding "One Night With Blue Note"

CJ Shearn

I called Mosaic about 20 minutes ago to find out what this "One Night With Blue Note" 2 pack re-release is...... According to the fine gentleman I spoke with (did not get his name unfortunately) it is going to be the DVD, packaged with a CD of 10 tracks from the concert, and be out on January 30th. Whether or not it's a CD that merely duplicates the DVD, or includes the tracks missing from the DVD, I was not able to gleam. If the CD contains the remaining percormances it might be worth repurchasing.

I gathered that there were 10 performances that have yet to make the cut, but still 2 or 3 left over..... I'm hoping that the CD isn't like 7 tracks off the DVD and 3 of the leftovers, or 6 from the DVD and 4 new, etc.... cuz it wouldn't make too much sense, and yes I was wondering why didn't they do it like that the first time myself, releasing it all in one package.

Anyone want to shoot off an email to MC to obtain track info for the CD? When I called Mosaic this morning I called off my cel which is prepaid, so in the interest watching my minutes I didn't ask what everything wanted...... based on tracks that did NOT make the cut, I wonder if any or all will be included:

"Broadside"

"Passion Dance"

"Blues on the Corner"

"I'm Getting Sentimental Over You"

"El Encanto"

"The Blessing"

"Lady Day"( I think that was the title)

"When You Wish Upon a Star"

"I'm Glad There is You"

"Hat and Beard"

I would buy the re release if the CD contained these tracks, if it was merely a CD of the tracks on the DVD or most of them, it's an idiotic package.

I called Mosaic about 20 minutes ago to find out what this "One Night With Blue Note" 2 pack re-release is...... According to the fine gentleman I spoke with (did not get his name unfortunately) it is going to be the DVD, packaged with a CD of 10 tracks from the concert, and be out on January 30th. Whether or not it's a CD that merely duplicates the DVD, or includes the tracks missing from the DVD, I was not able to gleam. If the CD contains the remaining percormances it might be worth repurchasing.

So we have to replace the DVD?

:wacko:

Tjazz,

yep, seems so, if that bonus CD includes most/all of those performances left off the DVD. I hope when it's re released some of the sites put up a track listing so it'd be easier to make a decision. If it includes most of the same tracks plus two or three of the remaining tracks, it wouldn't be worth it at all, but man they should have done this the first time, packaging it all together :-p

If I understand Michael's e-mail correctly, this is a box containing the DVD *plus* a CD of the same tracks, which was originally intended to be sold separately...

BUT, the Cecil Taylor tune is not on the track listing he sent me!

I'm more confused than ever:

1. Why would they put out the DVD, then a box with the CD and DVD?

2. Why did they decide to combine the two when they first supposed to be sold separately?

3. Why only highlights? Why not the whole thing?

If I had known the box was coming out, I probably would have waited. Except I STILL would not have been happy, because I want the ENTIRE McLean/Shaw session, not just two cuts. Fortunately, I have a burn of the CD of Town Hall Volume Two from the public library. Whats's a Jackie completist to do?

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

thanks Bertrand. Ten of the same tracks? that is just incredibly stupid. Why not include the rest of the performance? what's in place of the Taylor track.... another dumb move on BN's part. It seems to me the DVD would pretty much appeal to hardcore BN and hard bop fans, I don't know how many casual jazz fans would know about the concert.. and also out of jazz fans I know (many of whom are musicians) weren't aware the concert took place. Maybe they released highlights on the DVD because: a) maybe if the purchase was someone's introduction to the artists and by including mostly representative tunes, they would hope the casual fan would seek the original recordings out. b ) perhaps the additional material when Tom originally went over the footage was of unreleasable quality (maybe the digital film degraded too much, or just bad shots? I remember he said the whole evening was captured by early digital cameras) It's just great to have this music available again on DVD but they could have released the thing on one 2 DVD set. Oh yes, anyone notice on "Summertime" in the first wide stage shot you see some damage in the film? a grey line appears like the type when a video tape is watched too much or theres a wrinkle in the film. Just something I noticed the other day.

Edited by CJ Shearn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

bump....

543507.jpg

I picked this up today after stumbling across it by surprise. I hadn't realized it had been released with a cd.

After getting home, I pulled out my older "Town Hall Concert" CD from '98, only to discover that some of the tracks overlap but not all. :angry:

WHY can't they have either included EVERYTHING from the previous CD, allowing me to get rid of the older CD, or had no overlap, making them both worth keeping? GRRR....

The DVD is what I'm most interested in anyway, so I guess I'll enjoy that either way! :tup

edit: CD tracks, for those who are interested:

1. Cantaloupe Island

2. Recorda-Me

3. Little B's Poem

4. Summertime

5. Sweet and Lovely

6. Appointment in Ghana

7. Blues Walk

8. The Jumpin' Blues

9. Scratch My Back

Edited by Aggie87