676 Michael Adkins Quartet · Flaneur

2-678 Anthony Braxton · Quartet (Santa Cruz) 1993

[reissue of hatART 2-6190]

2-680 Cecil Taylor · Garden

[reissue of hatART 6050 & 6051]

688 Noah Kaplan Quartet · Descendants

689 Marc Copland - David Liebman Duo · Impressions

[reissue of part of hatOLOGY 2-587]

691 Ellery Eskelin, Andrea Parkins & Jim Black · One Great Day...

[reissue of hatOLOGY 502]

693 Bobby Bradford-John Carter Quintet · Comin'On

[reissue of hatART 6016]

694 Joe McPhee Po Music · Topology

[reissue of hatART 6027]

695 Ray Anderson, Han Bennink & Christy Doran · Open House

[reissue of hatART 6155/6175]

696 Matthew Shipp Duos with Mat Maneri & Joe Morris

[reissue of hatOLOGY 506/530]

4-700 Anthony Braxton · Quartet (Willisau) 1991

[reissue of hatART 4-6100

701 Steve Lacy Four · Morning Joy...Paris Live

[reissue of hatOLOGY 556]

702 Anthony Braxton · Quartet (Dortmund ) 1976

[reissue of hatOLOGY 557]

703 Albert Ayler Quintet · Lörrach, Paris 1966

[reissue of hatOLOGY 573]

704 Joe McPhee · As Serious As Your Life

[reissue of hatOLOGY 514]

705 Franz Koglmann · A White Line

[reissue of hatART 6048]

706 Samuel Blaser Quartet · Boundless

Well, there's a lot of folks calling for the Braxton Willisau and Santa Cruz which were issued in 1992 and 1997 and have been unavailable for years. Of the CDs on this list 6 are new issues, 7 do yes reprint recent 500 series reissues, but 8 are reissues of long unobtainable material from the 6000 series, including the Braxtons and other titles which are often called for - Taylor, Lyons, McPhee. That's not *too* bad, is it?

Edited by David Ayers

Those Braxtons are really top shelf. It is great that they will be back in print.

the Albert Ayler will be new to Hatology. The only Ayler concerts released previously on the label are Lorrach and Paris (on one CD). I assume that the Berlin concert will be the one on the Holy Ghost box (Nov. 3, 1966) and the Stockholm concert will be from Nov. 10. Three tracks from that latter concert have been circulating.

Edited by John L

Found this list on the website.

617 Albert Ayler Quintet · Berlin, Stockholm 1966

2-678 Anthony Braxton · Quartet (Santa Cruz) 1993

[reissue of hatART 2-6190]

2-680 Cecil Taylor · Garden

694 Joe McPhee Po Music · Topology

[reissue of hatART 6027]

695 Ray Anderson, Han Bennink & Christy Doran · Open House

[reissue of hatART 6155/6175]

4-700 Anthony Braxton · Quartet (Willisau) 1991

[reissue of hatART 4-6100

704 Joe McPhee · As Serious As Your Life

[reissue of hatOLOGY 514]

Glad to see the above reissues!

The McPhee is the one I was most pissed about not having ever found so far, since I managed to hunt down just about every hatOLOGY disc I wanted, as the years passed, but never that one!

The new Ayler looks a bit weird... the Berlin set was found on the "Holy Ghost" box, but not the Stockholm. There's also the still unreleased (?) Copenhagen set that would have made a better fit! Even more so, as Copenhagen may be the finest of the three sets...

I regard that page as pretty stale, I check it every few months. I really love Garden, Braxton, Christy Doran. Maybe Jump Up can include that Murray piece that's on the vinyl.

Same here - the Ayler, Braxton (Willisau) & Taylor (Garden) have been on that list for at least 2 years

They've been saying that they're going to re-release some of these for ages but nothing has happened. I wouldn't take this as any indication that they will be reissued in the near future.

Correct. Willisau has been an upcoming release for eight years now. Don't hold your breath on some of this stuff.

The new Ayler looks a bit weird... the Berlin set was found on the "Holy Ghost" box, but not the Stockholm. There's also the still unreleased (?) Copenhagen set that would have made a better fit! Even more so, as Copenhagen may be the finest of the three sets...

Flurin

I have to agree The Copenhagen concent is wonderful - just listened to it this weekend (downloaded it from your site)

I thought that the Stockholm & Copenhagen concerts were going to be on the new Hat CD but then realised it is listed as Berlin/Stockholm (had another look at the Hat site) - why double up with the AA box?

hatWHATEVER could easily have been a Japanese label, they keep recycling stuff over and over again...

Don't get me wrong, hatWHATEVER CDs are generally of pretty high quality and I agree with Chuck that labels, especially the smaller ones, are struggling and should be supported as much as possible, but it just struck me that some people here are sometimes criticizing all those Japanese labels that keep reissuing the same stuff over and over again, but when hatWHATEVER's Mr Uehlinger is doing it it's commendable. I know, it's not quite the same, but still...

Big difference between the Japanese marketplace and US/Europe. The Japanese tread cds like magazines - new issues each month. Maybe not the best example but there are differences in marketing.

I think most members here would be surprised by real sales figures of compact discs and downloads.

Big difference between the Japanese marketplace and US/Europe. The Japanese tread cds like magazines - new issues each month. Maybe not the best example but there are differences in marketing.

I know. My post was just a thought.

I think most members here would be surprised by real sales figures of compact discs and downloads.

Higher than expected or lower than expected?

Hat's off to Hat for continuing to reissue past titles and issue new ones. As I see it these have been arriving over the years even if much called-for titles like the Willisau/Santa Cruz are not here yet. FWIW, DMG lists these for pre-order! But who knows what will actually arrive. Titles announced for 2010/11 did actually arrive so that's a sign of sorts. Where there is stored demand for a title it is surely sellable albeit on the low scale which we expect from jazz/improv - witness JLH's Dixon. I would have thought that reissuing the Braxtons and Taylors was a cert. Quite a few of those other titles also have a good reputation. And the new titles are an honorable mixture of the really new and the archival.

But yeah, I get it, CD is on the way out... Still, from my point of view there is way too much and who can afford it or have time to listen to it (apart from the retired, unemployed and school teachers)?

FWI here is the 2009 list. The titles that appeared are in bold. Of the rest, the Nagl has been dropped, evidently, and a handful of others (notably the most sought after...) are yet to appear. I think the record is good.

617 Albert Ayler • Berlin, Stockholm 1966

2-630 Horace Tapscott Quartet• The Dark Tree

[reissue of hatOLOGY 2-540]

2-640 Max Roach & Archie Shepp • The Long March

[reissue of hatART 6041 + 6042]

*** 4-644 Anthony Braxton • Willisau (Quartet) 1991

[reissue of hatART 4-6100]

655 John Zorn, George Lewis, Bill Frisell • More News For Lulu

[reissue of hatART 6055]

658 Anthony Braxton • Seven Compositions (Trio) 1989

[reissue of hatART 6025]

662 Nate Wooley, Mary Halverson & Reuben Radding • Crackleknob

664 Lucien Johnson, Alan Silva & Makoto Sato • Pieces Of Eight

665 Joe Maneri, Tyson Rogers & Jacob Braverman • Generation Meeting

666 Dave Douglas' Tiny Bell Trio • Constellations

[reissue of hatOLOGY 542]

667 ICP Orchestra • Jubilee Varia [reissue of hatOLOGY 528]

668 Lee Konitz & Martial Solal • Just Friends, Hamburg 1983

[reissue of hatOLOGY 518]

669 Jimmy Lyons & Sunny Murray Trio • Jump Up

[reissue of hatART 6139]

671 Vienna Art Orchestra • The Minimalism Of Erik Satie

[reissue hatOLOGY 560]

672 Polwechsel & John Tilbury • Field

673 Gerry Hemingway Quintet • Demon Chaser

[reissue of hatART 6137]

674 Paul Bley, Franz Koglmann & Gary Peacock • Annette

[reissue of hatOLOGY 564]

676 Michael Adkins Quartet • Flaneur

677 Uwe Oberg, Christof Thewes & Michael Griener • Lacy Pool

*** 2-678 Anthony Braxton • Willisau (Quartet, Live) 1991

[reissue of hatART 4-6100]

679 Max Nagl Trio • Boulazac

2-680 Cecil Taylor • Garden

681 Russ Lossing Trio • Swimming Dragon

682 Pandelis Karayorgis Quintet • System Of 5

683 Elllery Eskelin with Andrea Parkins & Jim Black • On Great Night...Live

*** Anthony Braxton • Willisau (Quartet) 1991)

re-issue in two 2-CD sets!

• 10 months later...