JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to the issue but bummed by the "advance" review. Not cool in my book.

The only review I see is dated Oct. 2010 & is allegedly from the vinyl LP.

Is that a problem?

The review isn't very well written & includes several spelling errors.

Edited by jlhoots

I thought it was going to include "Hard Blues" as a bonus track :(

I am still hoping that it will. Since the cover supposedly reproduces the front and back of the Arista LP exactly, the Hard Blues is probably not listed on it. Amazon might have taken the track listing from the back cover.

I'm looking forward to the issue but bummed by the "advance" review. Not cool in my book.

The only review I see is dated Oct. 2010 & is allegedly from the vinyl LP.

Is that a problem?

The review isn't very well written & includes several spelling errors.

My bad. I didn't scroll down to the review, just reacted to the top of the page with the 5 star notice for unissued product.

• 4 weeks later...

The Amazon listing does not include The Hard Blues. Is this accurate?

Not sure... but I still hope it'll be included. Other than the short blurb it looks like nothing much has been updated on the amazon page.

Also, there's post #10 in this thread, where Jonathan Horwich states the following:

Hard Blues is right here on the master tapes I have and will be on my reissue because it was part of that 72 session. I think you all will be very happy with the sound. I've improved the transfer line from analog to digital yet again.

Jonathan

it's stuff from New Tango (my CD) which was recorded at the Knitting Factory, and from my first CD At The Moment of Impact. There's supposed to be a multi-cd retrospective of my stuff in the next year or so, and there's some incredible Julius from those sessions. Nothing previously unissued, just not readily available.

Importing this message from Jonathan Horwich because I'm having a problem merging threads these days:

"Dear All, For your collective information, I shipped the CD reissue of Julius Hemphill Dogon A.D. to the distributor today. Official release date is 18 Oct 2011, but I imagine around 7 Oct or earlier, copies will be available. Thought you'd all like to know. Jonathan"

Importing this message from Jonathan Horwich because I'm having a problem merging threads these days:

"Dear All, For your collective information, I shipped the CD reissue of Julius Hemphill Dogon A.D. to the distributor today. Official release date is 18 Oct 2011, but I imagine around 7 Oct or earlier, copies will be available. Thought you'd all like to know. Jonathan"

Does this mean it will be available from distributors other than Amazon?

it's stuff from New Tango (my CD) which was recorded at the Knitting Factory, and from my first CD At The Moment of Impact. There's supposed to be a multi-cd retrospective of my stuff in the next year or so, and there's some incredible Julius from those sessions. Nothing previously unissued, just not readily available.

That sounds cool, thanks! (Sorry for taking some time to reply, forgot to check back in here earlier.)

And thanks Larry for the news from Jonathan. Got to put in an order for that disc somewhere, soon!

Dear All,

I am unable to find my posting of earlier today but Larry Kart kindly copied it here. Basically, I shipped Dogon A.D. to the distributor today. It is a matter of days (7--10) before it is available.

The Hard Blues is on the new reissued CD. Just like the master tapes. The reissue of Hemphill will be at many distribution points and soon. Amazon is only one of them. Dusty Groove in Chicago will have copies quite soon.

The Arista/Freedom vinyl had the channels switched so you will hear the channels switched back left over to right and right over to left in this CD reissue to match the masters. The sound generally is a bit better on the CD as we had the master tapes right there and took some care in the transfer and mastering.

This is the first time Dogon A.D. has been issued on CD and hopefully you all will enjoy it.

Jonathan

I've now been listening to it and delighting in it. To me, the LP issues never sounded as good as this CD. My long-ago misgivings remain: too much slow tempos, the great drummer Philip Wilson is rather restrained. But Hemphill sounds great, he's so endlessly melodic and creative (ah, that Missouri alto sax tradition, from KC to StL), and Bakaida Carroll is also at this best. Thanks, Jonathon.