JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too.

As to Jonathan's question, I second a good website. It sounds like you are committed to keeping the releases coming, and I think that if you can commit to X number of issues per year (3-4?) why not do a subscription like NĂºmero Group or Music Matters? There's a great uniformity to your releases, and I know I'm not the only one who will buy anything you put out. It might help to know you have certain number of copies sold out the gate.

Subscribers could get, say, a 10% discount, "insider" emails, and the first copies available. I'd even pay something like a $5 subscription fee. Even if this ostensibly cut into the 10% I wouldn't care and it could help to establish some up front funds assuming enough people do it.

Me too.

As to Jonathan's question, I second a good website. It sounds like you are committed to keeping the releases coming, and I think that if you can commit to X number of issues per year (3-4?) why not do a subscription like NĂºmero Group or Music Matters? There's a great uniformity to your releases, and I know I'm not the only one who will buy anything you put out. It might help to know you have certain number of copies sold out the gate.

Subscribers could get, say, a 10% discount, "insider" emails, and the first copies available. I'd even pay something like a $5 subscription fee. Even if this ostensibly cut into the 10% I wouldn't care and it could help to establish some up front funds assuming enough people do it.

Great idea (its been around for quite a while -- see Crimson who would charge $96 up front back in 1998 for 6 annual releases), although websites like Artist Share have taken this way too far, charging as much as $25 per cd plus some inordinately high shipping charges. Witness the upcoming Jim Hall archival 3 cd set for $75 plus!

I've never heard Extension, but I am sold. Like others here, I will be picking up all of Jonathan's releases without hesitation.

Very much in the same boat... the Dixon and Hemphill CDs are amazing, and more of the same will be most welcome!

Fischer is someone into whose music I've been meaning to dig deeper for some time anyway (and Daley is still a most amazing perspective, even though I've known about it for a little while now!).

The Carmell Jones sounds like a good idea to me as well - would love to hear it!

Guys, thanks again for your kind words which I find so encouraging. My vision is to just put out such good performances, whether an actual classic or not, that the public can buy the release without knowing anything about it. Taste of course enters into it. Those who love Bill Dixon's arrangements on Intents and Purposes may not like Clare Fischer's arrangements on Extension. Well, I do. Both are brilliant in their own different way. But mainly, I want the public who buys IPI reissues to know I won't put out anything less than a stellar performance which has been not easy to get otherwise. And more importantly, that they obtain something that they will cherish and be thankful they bought for many years in the future. That's why the reissues discussion on this forum is so important to me. We have to find future releases that are stellar. No compromise. If they aren't stellar we don't put them out. It can't be this is a very good performance. It has to be stellar. We'll all be going over this soon as I only have about 3-5 more releases I know fit this bill. I need to come up with more.

I hope I have enough Carmell Jones to put something out. Carmell is one of my favorites of all time. First priority will be Marsh as he is a giant and hopefully, I can put together a nice release of his material from our Revelation files.

Bob Belden just wrote me that Clare's Extension performance and his Thesaurus performance are the work of a genius. And they are. Bob really gets it. I sure hope others hear it. The Extension reissue comes out 17 April and has already been shipped to the distributor. So 17 April is very realistic. I really want to hear what you all think as to me this is large ensemble jazz at its best. Very little improvisation and what is there, is very much integrated into the ensemble. Jerry Coker does a perfect job of that.

Okay that's the latest from Chicago's south side.

Edited by JLH

Well Dave Fish I'm glad you brought this up. That is a real possibility. Finding the tapes will not be easy as that was John's label. But this brings up the wider question of what to do after Joe Daley. We need the releases to be stellar. Not good. Not very good. But stellar. So let's have some discussion again on this as we all did earlier but it has to be limited to stellar by any standard. Fischer, Steig and Daley are. Daley at least by the bass playing which is stellar. The rest is very good. So, let's discuss anything which has not been reissued on CD or at least is well out of print on CD and is stellar. We have the Marsh stuff we discussed and that is stellar by any stretch. But what else? Not easy I know. Thanks in advance.

Edited by JLH

My suggestion will always be Jeanne Lee's Conspiracy.

Never on CD. Stellar band including Sam Rivers, Gunther Hampel, Steve McCall amongst others. Great vocal performance and writing.

I seem to remember someone saying that an attempt had been made to reissue in the past but to no avail.

Jonathan - I'm looking forward to the Daley, having never heard the music but just been enthused by your and everyone's opinion.

Some personal faves that I would like to see get proper CD reissues include Denny Zeitlin's Live At The Trident, Gene Shaw's Argo albums especially Debut In Blues and Carnival Sketches, Bill Holman's Great Big Band on Capitol and Harold Vick's Strata East album Don't Look Back. And the Dave Bailey Epic's! I haven't been satisfied with any CD version of these albums. But I will buy whatever you put out based on the quality of the Dixon and Hemphill releases.

Some personal faves that I would like to see get proper CD reissues include Denny Zeitlin's Live At The Trident, Gene Shaw's Argo albums especially Debut In Blues and Carnival Sketches, Bill Holman's Great Big Band on Capitol and Harold Vick's Strata East album Don't Look Back. And the Dave Bailey Epic's! I haven't been satisfied with any CD version of these albums. But I will buy whatever you put out based on the quality of the Dixon and Hemphill releases.

Not only Bailey's Epic albums, but also his JazzLine and JazzTime recordings. I asked Michael Cuscuna about these and he'd very much like to reissue them, but, as so often, the rights could be a problem.

Gene Shaw's Breathrough can be found, reissued a few years ago by Dusty Groove. Carnival Sketches was out from Japan but would be hard to find these days. I have heard Debut in Blues, which is possibly the best of the three. I love Shaw. . . but I'm not positive I would put them in the category of excellence that JLH is asking for. . . .

Gene Shaw's Breathrough can be found, reissued a few years ago by Dusty Groove. Carnival Sketches was out from Japan but would be hard to find these days. I have heard Debut in Blues, which is possibly the best of the three. I love Shaw. . . but I'm not positive I would put them in the category of excellence that JLH is asking for. . . .

I have the Dusty Groove Breakthrough reissue which is why I excluded it although it is now out of print as well. I feel Debut in Blues and Carnival Sketches are beyond excellent and Shaw's playing on Sketches is fantastic. One of my favourite LPs and one I hope will get reissued someday.

Well Dave Fish I'm glad you brought this up. That is a real possibility. Finding the tapes will not be easy as that was John's label. But this brings up the wider question of what to do after Joe Daley. We need the releases to be stellar. Not good. Not very good. But stellar. So let's have some discussion again on this as we all did earlier but it has to be limited to stellar by any standard. Fischer, Steig and Daley are. Daley at least by the bass playing which is stellar. The rest is very good. So, let's discuss anything which has not been reissued on CD or at least is well out of print on CD and is stellar. We have the Marsh stuff we discussed and that is stellar by any stretch. But what else? Not easy I know. Thanks in advance.

I've never had a chance to hear "Echoes," but I love Carter, and I've only heard positive things about this album. It's never been reissued in any format, and there's so little of his stuff available. Can't really see anyone else getting this out there.

Could the tapes be in the collection at the University of Colorado?

edited for typo

Edited by Dave Fish

Dougcreates, are those personal favorite stellar performances? Just checking as was unable to tell from your post. Thanks.

JLH - I am not sure if I could tell the difference between peronal fave and stellar performance. I am not a jazz expert just a big fan and my favourites are what I listen to the most (obviously) so they become stellar through familarity (does that make any sense?) The more I listen to Carnival Skecthes or Bill Holman's Big Band the more I hear the little things that make a jazz record shine. I listen to these records and the others mentioned in my original post as much as I listen to Bill Evans Sunday At The Village Vanguard, Eric Dolphy's Out To Lunch or Mike Westbrook's Celebration. For me they are all great jazz records that I really enjoy and hopefully others think they are stellar so you can search them out, make a favorable decision and reissue them.

I agree with you; Debut in Blues would be a first rate candidate for reissue.

My suggestion will always be Jeanne Lee's Conspiracy.

Never on CD. Stellar band including Sam Rivers, Gunther Hampel, Steve McCall amongst others. Great vocal performance and writing.

I seem to remember someone saying that an attempt had been made to reissue in the past but to no avail.

Jonathan - I'm looking forward to the Daley, having never heard the music but just been enthused by your and everyone's opinion.

Yeah, Jeanne's people don't want that happening for less than an obscene amount of money.