JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes--The Dark Tree. I haven't read Song of the Unsung yet either, but the caliber of writing and research on The Dark Tree is unbelievable. Considering how little documentation there is of that scene, that book approaches Lewis's AACM tome in terms of depth and how effectively it details the intersection of so many different personalities.

Edited by ep1str0phy

Not my understanding.

Unless something changed recently.

Well, that's the info I got a while ago. Maybe I was misinformed - so who does own FD?

I thought someone, maybe JLH, posted last year that Thiele's daughters owned the rights to the catalog. Furthermore they didn't want to license the FD recordings out piecemeal because they felt they would get more money for the recordings if they sold them all together.

The info I got was that they had sold FD. Maybe the answer is somewhere earlier in this thread, but I don't have time to re-read it.

Well it looks like Jonathan has the rights to 'em, so...

Not my understanding.

Unless something changed recently.

Well, that's the info I got a while ago. Maybe I was misinformed - so who does own FD?

I thought someone, maybe JLH, posted last year that Thiele's daughters owned the rights to the catalog. Furthermore they didn't want to license the FD recordings out piecemeal because they felt they would get more money for the recordings if they sold them all together.

The info I got was that they had sold FD. Maybe the answer is somewhere earlier in this thread, but I don't have time to re-read it.

Well it looks like Jonathan has the rights to 'em, so...

Yes, the three he talked about, but does he also have the rights to the rest of the catalogue?

Dear All, Thanks so much for all your comments. Well I will be putting out all three Flying Dutchman issues. So all will come out. Nice write up ep1str0phy. Very fine. I would not pair the two Carter Bradfords. I might issue both at the same time, but they would each be separate in their own packaging. So all three in their own packaging.

On the Amazon UK price of the Fischer I have no idea what that rise was about. Strange.

And for those of you who are not familiar with the Fischer work, it is not avant in any sense. It is very down the middle but brilliantly so. It is large ensemble arrangement at its finest bar nobody. For those not used to this genre, listen to it many many times and you'll soon hear how original the writing and arranging is as compared with your normal big band. There is very little solo work and even that is subjugated to the greater palette of the band. Hope you guys love it as I do. For some it will not be instant love. And for some it may never be. But for me it is desert island.

Jonathan

thank you so much for the FD's, especially the Tapscott - that was near the top of my RI list - You made my day

The Dark Tree & Songs Of The Unsung are in my Jazz reading pile - next on the list once I finish Paudras' book on Powell

Ahh here's the post that I was thinking of....

The problem is the rights to the Flying Dutchman catalog reside with the several daughters of Bob Thiele. They wish to sell the entire catalog to someone. In the meantime they will not lease out the rights to any individual title. I am hoping they will sell soon at which point I would lease the rights from the new owner. Or I am hoping the daughters will change their minds and let me lease the two Carter Bradford releases on Flying Dutchman. Hope that clarifies. By the way, Sony Entertainment owned the rights up until 2010ish, but through whatever means ownership is now with the daughters.

http://www.organissi...post__p__116047

So I guess the question now is did the daughters sell FD to someone else or did they relent and lease the rights?

The problem is the rights to the Flying Dutchman catalog reside with the several daughters of Bob Thiele. They wish to sell the entire catalog to someone. In the meantime they will not lease out the rights to any individual title. I am hoping they will sell soon at which point I would lease the rights from the new owner. Or I am hoping the daughters will change their minds and let me lease the two Carter Bradford releases on Flying Dutchman. Hope that clarifies. By the way, Sony Entertainment owned the rights up until 2010ish, but through whatever means ownership is now with the daughters.

So I guess the question now is did the daughters sell FD to someone else or did they relent and lease the rights?

Thanks for digging that up. I found this recent post by JLH:

Looks like I have the rights to Carter Bradford Flying Dutchman and, if I wish, Tapscott, The Giant Is Awakened. So that is very very good news. The Flying Dutchman catalog was finally sold and I got first rights to those performances.

So Sony owned the catalogue up to about 2010, the daughters after that and it's now owned by whomever the daughters sold it to.

Edited by J.A.W.

Yup. Thanks for clearing it up. :ph34r:

Looks like I have the rights to Carter Bradford Flying Dutchman and, if I wish, Tapscott, The Giant Is Awakened. So that is very very good news. The Flying Dutchman catalog was finally sold and I got first rights to those performances.

So Sony owned the catalogue up to about 2010, the daughters after that and it's now owned by whomever the daughters sold it to.

Sony did own the rights to the Flying Ductchman catalog but it went then to the daughters of Bob Thiele who finally sold it to Ace Records UK or who at least have the leasing rights to the catalog. My contact works for them and has given me the go ahead on reissuing those three titles as they have no plans themselves to do so. they are apparently reissuing other titles but not the Carter Brafford or the Tapscot.

Sony did own the rights to the Flying Ductchman catalog but it went then to the daughters of Bob Thiele who finally sold it to Ace Records UK or who at least have the leasing rights to the catalog. My contact works for them and has given me the go ahead on reissuing those three titles as they have no plans themselves to do so. they are apparently reissuing other titles but not the Carter Brafford or the Tapscot.

Thanks for clearing that up, Jonathan. I think the FD catalogue is in good hands with Ace.

Yup. Thanks for clearing it up. :ph34r:

Union%20Jack%20made%20in%20britain.JPG

post-282-0-12274800-1334726923_thumb.jpg post-282-0-17695900-1334727346_thumb.jpg post-282-0-74215100-1334727477_thumb.jpg

It's been a reissue dream of mine to see:

• Flight For Four

• Self Determination Music

• The Giant Is Awakened

have a proper reissue on compact disc. So glad Jonathan is at the helm of the project. They'll be treasures.

Edited by Late

Very excited at the prospect of finally hearing 'giant awakened' in pristine form. A must buy

The Carter/Bradford LPs still doing it for me so they'll be a "maybe" purchase

I'm also interested in the news that Ace have picked up Flying Dutchman....could be interesting

Maybe now we can get that Oliver Nelson gem!

and the Leon Thomas titles ("The Leon Thomas Album" has never been on CD, and the others have been difficult to find) and the Larry Coryell "Fairyland" Montreux recording. And there were other interesting titles floating in and out of the periphery of my memory, such as Arnie Lawrence, Chico Hamilton, Harold Alexander...