JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is an eye opener. I'm so so happy to hear this. I'm going to try and get Tapscott out as soon as I can. I had no idea. Thanks for all who gave me feedback. Still open for more. Steig will be coming out later in the year so it does not conflict with another release of Denny Zeitlin's. He asked me to put it out in Nov 2013 so that is on hold until then. Now I'll do Bradford and maybe slip in Tapscott.

I'm guessing that the same people who purchased the Hemphill reissue would want to purchase The Giant Is Awakened, even if Tapscott doesn't quite have the same name recognition. It's not simply a great record, it also carries some historical significance, documenting that lesser-heard "underground" L.A. scene of the late 60's. Arthur Blythe gives it his all, and the bass-drum tandem on the set (Williams/Freeman) is on fire — holding their own easily, say, with Haden/Blackwell. I've been living with a vinyl rip for years, and would love to hear what a JLH transfer would sound like.

So, count me in at least. Oh, and for what it's worth, the cover art alone will sell some copies. Very hip.

I think properly marketed at the right locations (a loaded term), you could sell 750 in LA alone. There were that many people or more at the concert to raise money for him when he was near death. But I suppose I could be wrong.

Edited by Adam

Yes, honestly I think you have it switched around. I think the Tapscott would outsell the Carter/Bradford. I love all three records, but while I think people would take notice of the C/B, I think the Tapscott would have the potential to get the same kind of press as the Hemphill.

Good observation, although one reason why the Hemphill got so much notice and press is that it had never been out on CD before.

Sure, but as others have noted, Tapscott's music has real purchase. I also think the record has a very interesting social-contextual angle (Post-Watts LA, the UGMAA, community arts, etc) that would expand its appeal to the press beyond the musical content, which is thrilling enough. (spinning West Coast Hot as I type!)

Again, thanks for your interest. I have the rights and am lined up to do both Carter Bradfords and the Tapscott Flying Dutchman. First is Flight for Four, which in my opinion is just killer good. And for those with the vinyl yes it is quite good, but as we have access to the master tapes I think you'll find the sound a jump up. Anyway, now that you know I have the rights to all three ( I think I mentioned it earlier), I need some objective feedback here. Do people on this site feel there is a public interest for the Tapscott Flying Dutchman. I'm a bit concerned about it. Maybe Chuck N. and Larry K. can jump in as they have experience with this. I think Flight for Four will sell about 750 CDs if I'm lucky. Maybe I'm off. Let me know what you guys think on Tapscott, The Giant Is Awakened, which I (correctly or incorretly) assume will sell less. I hope to be in a position in two years where I dont' care about sales and I just put out what is great and let it fly. But I'm not there yet so each investment in the CD reissues need to at least break even.

Flight For Four is a great album, thanks for reissuing it Jonathan. I am definitely in for the Joe Daley set as well, whether it's a box or individual releases it doesn't matter to me.

One selling point for Flight For Four, which I'm assuming will be purchased mostly by collectors (a portion of whom already have the RCA/Novus CD edition, which doesn't sound very good to me, by the way): there's a very fine bonus track not on the RCA/Novus disc. Entitled "Domino," it has Carter on tenor saxophone, sounding like himself, but also very much like Ornette (on tenor) and Coltrane (in spots). It's not a throwaway track by any means. The drumming is killer, and all four members are in top shape. In fact, Bradford's solo on this track ... Don Cherry would be envious. But it's the drums that make it for me. (I'm listening right now.)

Anyway, I look forward to Jonathan's reissues ... all of them. I hope Self Determination Music is on the docket as well. In some ways, that album is even finer than Flight For Four.

John Carter, Bobby Bradford, Tom Williams, Bruz Freeman — one of the least heralded, and best, quartets in jazz. Anybody who writes them off as an Ornette quartet clone ... is gravely mistaken.

Thanks all of your for your usual helpful and useful data. I agree with you Funkateer. The Carter/Bradford Quartet is one of the great units ever. And Flight for Four is a wonderful example of it if not their best. And I will have Domino on our version and the sound will please you. Flight for Four will be my next release and soon. And then I'll work on Horace Tapscott next. Steig will be the end of the year.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for asking. Carter Bradford is now well in progress. CD cover being printed in Tokyo. Checking color now. Master CD going out for manufacturing this week. Looks like it will be out pretty soon, like 4 - 6 weeks. Made first payment on leasing Tapscott The Giant is Awakened. One more payment and I have the rights to move forward. Plan to put that out late Summer. And end the year with Steig Flute Fever. Looks like some good music for this year.

And speaking of Carter Bradford I need all of your help. I am looking for all writeups on Carter Bradford's group from the late 60s and early 70s. Even if you know I have it send me a link if you would. You can post it here which might be useful for posterity or you can send it to me at jonathanhorwich@me.com I'd like to include a very definitive write up of the group as an insert in the CD.

Thanks for asking. Carter Bradford is now well in progress. CD cover being printed in Tokyo. Checking color now. Master CD going out for manufacturing this week. Looks like it will be out pretty soon, like 4 - 6 weeks. Made first payment on leasing Tapscott The Giant is Awakened. One more payment and I have the rights to move forward. Plan to put that out late Summer. And end the year with Steig Flute Fever. Looks like some good music for this year.

And speaking of Carter Bradford I need all of your help. I am looking for all writeups on Carter Bradford's group from the late 60s and early 70s. Even if you know I have it send me a link if you would. You can post it here which might be useful for posterity or you can send it to me at jonathanhorwich@me.com I'd like to include a very definitive write up of the group as an insert in the CD.

Although I don't have any, I suspect that one place to check is the defunct Los Angeles Free Press. I'm not even sure if an index exists. But I was talking with Gene Youngblood about it recently (He used to write for it), and maybe he knows.

• 1 month later...

I only recently purchased Seeking and was blown away, so I'm looking forward to hearing this one (and the Tapscott, for that matter!).

Seeking is included in the Mosaic Select, which was produced by Jonathan; it also has Secrets and lots of unissued titles: http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MS-036

Edited by J.A.W.

I bought Seeking on Hat Art. The music just didn't do much for me - that whole style doesn't. I need more of a tonal center than what they provide, so I guess I'll be staying away from this reissue. I don't at all doubt the technical proficiency of the musicians - I loved Carter's work on Horace Tapscott's The Dark Tree. But there's a hole in the center of this style of music that I can't gloss over.