JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

Dear All, hey guys thanks so much. I really appreciate the kind words. I would like to bring up something which really began this thread. I will be out of killer performances soon. What to do next is up the air. I'm okay for a year or so. And the Joe Daley should work out okay if I can put together the money.

But think about this. I'm not looking for a reissue some guys might like or that you might think is really good. I need stuff like I've put out. Whether someone likes the Steig or not I can defend it in my own mind as what I think is the greatest straight ahead flute performance ever. No one is going to show me a performance on flute that betters it. Period. Same with Hemphill I put out or Dixon or Carter/Bradford. They just stand the test of time and even Fischer which is rough for many people to like, well I have no doubts about its genius and my only regret is I'll lose money galore on it. But I know it is brilliant and should have been done. I need something like that to reissue. that's why I started this thread. Can all of you who read this think it over. Not just something good. Or very good. But killer that has not come out on CD or is long ago on CD and no longer. Thanks guys.

It might be difficult to near impossible to reissue, but you would do very well with a reissue of "Hum Dono" by Amancio D'Silva. It has never been reissued on CD...vinyl goes upwards of $1000 consistently, and *many* people are after a copy. Musically it may not be as brilliant as "Dogon AD' by Hemphill for example..or even as good as D'Silva's own debut "Integration"(which did see a limited CD reissue), but it definitely has a big audience hungry for a quality CD reissue! Myself included.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear All, hey guys thanks so much. I really appreciate the kind words. I would like to bring up something which really began this thread. I will be out of killer performances soon. What to do next is up the air. I'm okay for a year or so. And the Joe Daley should work out okay if I can put together the money.

But think about this. I'm not looking for a reissue some guys might like or that you might think is really good. I need stuff like I've put out. Whether someone likes the Steig or not I can defend it in my own mind as what I think is the greatest straight ahead flute performance ever. No one is going to show me a performance on flute that betters it. Period. Same with Hemphill I put out or Dixon or Carter/Bradford. They just stand the test of time and even Fischer which is rough for many people to like, well I have no doubts about its genius and my only regret is I'll lose money galore on it. But I know it is brilliant and should have been done. I need something like that to reissue. that's why I started this thread. Can all of you who read this think it over. Not just something good. Or very good. But killer that has not come out on CD or is long ago on CD and no longer. Thanks guys.

It might be difficult to near impossible to reissue, but you would do very well with a reissue of "Hum Dono" by Amancio D'Silva. It has never been reissued on CD...vinyl goes upwards of $1000 consistently, and *many* people are after a copy. Musically it may not be as brilliant as "Dogon AD' by Hemphill for example..or even as good as D'Silva's own debut "Integration"(which did see a limited CD reissue), but it definitely has a big audience hungry for a quality CD reissue! Myself included.

Seconded!

1550 GBP is indeed a lot of money: http://www.popsike.com/JOE-HARRIOTT-AMANCIO-DSILVA-Hum-Dono-Rare-UK-JAZZ-1969-NM-SUPERB/160783845256.html

Edited by Alexandros

http://www.popsike.com/BOBBY-JONES-DUSKO-GOJKOVIC-Benefiz-LP/4875725924.html

Bobby Jones Dusko Goykovich 5tet Live 1973 Burghausen - brilliant performance feat Horace Parlan + Peter Trunk + Todd Canedy , Limited Edition LP issued to raise funds reg medical care for Bobby Jones, never out on CD and very much sought after (scarcity meets quality, therefore rightly so).....

Edited by soulpope

Ornette Coleman-Crisis.I am told that Ornette owns the rights/master tape of this superb live date from 1969 that came out on Impulse.

And that's the reason it was never reissued, to my knowledge (there should even be ample bonus material)

I can't think of a jazz recording more worthy of being heard again than Crisis.

I agree!

Seconded!

1550 GBP is indeed a lot of money: http://www.popsike.com/JOE-HARRIOTT-AMANCIO-DSILVA-Hum-Dono-Rare-UK-JAZZ-1969-NM-SUPERB/160783845256.html

Thirded!! - I mentioned this LP a few months back

http://www.popsike.com/BOBBY-JONES-DUSKO-GOJKOVIC-Benefiz-LP/4875725924.html

Bobby Jones Dusko Goykovich 5tet Live 1973 Burghausen - brilliant performance feat Horace Parlan + Peter Trunk + Todd Canedy , Limited Edition LP issued to raise funds reg medical care for Bobby Jones, never out on CD and very much sought after (scarcity meets quality, therefore rightly so).....

Never, ever even seen/heard of that record, and I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about obscure jazz LPs. Looks awesome.

On further reflection, I actually think the Colbeck is a great idea, provided the masters/rights could be obtained from Fontana (or from Cadillac). Someone was going to do it legitimately about ten years ago and the project ran out of steam. It was a label that I'd never heard of before, can't remember the name right now.

Anyway, it's really an extraordinary album that people really go nuts over. Also, Colbeck only made this one LP as a leader and most of his sideman appearances aren't up to snuff, which makes this performance all the more essential.

Creative Construction Company-CCC.The1970 concert in NYC that was released on Muse in two volumes.I have the rare Japanese Sony cd of Vol.1.I don't think it's still in print and i've never seen Vol.2 on cd.

Anthony Braxton,Leroy Jenkins, Leo Smith, Muhal Richard Abrams, Richard Davis, Steve McCall.

You can listen to them on YT but i'd love to see both re-issued.

A very special album that hasn't been available on CD in more than 20 years is Amarcord Nino Rota:

41R5W8NS9PL.jpg

A tribute to Nino Rota's music, as played by Jaki Byard, Dave Samuels, Carla Bley, Bill Frisell, Sharon Freeman and Muhal Richard Abrams, David Amram, Steve Lacy, and William Fischer (with Wynton Marsalis!). A great idea, beautifully executed.

A very special album that hasn't been available on CD in more than 20 years is Amarcord Nino Rota:

41R5W8NS9PL.jpg

A tribute to Nino Rota's music, as played by Jaki Byard, Dave Samuels, Carla Bley, Bill Frisell, Sharon Freeman and Muhal Richard Abrams, David Amram, Steve Lacy, and William Fischer (with Wynton Marsalis!). A great idea, beautifully executed.

Based on the beautifull LP foldout cover this supposedly would merit a papersleeve edition......

Edited by soulpope

41R5W8NS9PL.jpg

That's a very good suggestion.

Karyobin

Ornette's entire Town Hall program

Jimmy Lyons Other Afternoons plus unreleased __

Cecil Taylor Spring ot Two Blue Jays

Karyobin isn't happening any time soon. Island has no interest in allowing its rerelease. You'd pretty much have to bootleg that record (which Chronoscope did in the '90s). It is a very good album, though edged out a bit IMO by that beautiful Marmalade session from a year or so later.

I'm not sure if Stollman has the the rest of the Town Hall masters or if Ornette kept them. I thought the ESP was made from a duplicate tape that Ornette had given to Stollman to fix, and its release in 1965 pissed off Blue Note to no end (they were going to do a two volume set). Chuck may have more knowledge about the circumstances; I think the Golden Circle records came out as a replacement of sorts.

Does DL Media own Spring of Two Blue J's? They (Alan Bates!) own Indent from what I remember. There was a CD bootleg of it in the 90s.

Didn't realize there was more music from the Other Afternoons date; I'd assume the tapes are all with Charly over in England. It's a good record but when Ayler put out the boxed set, I feel like that kind of set the bar for a "definitive" Lyons package. I feel like Other Afternoons was a workshop for the quartet with Raphé Malik, which, as much as I enjoy the music of Lester, Cyrille and Silva, that band really cut things up.

dc2f259b4f.jpg

Max Roch Quartet "Live in Amsterdam" (Baystate) 1977

89329fa520.jpg

Max Roach Quartet "Nommo" (Victor) 1977 - Recorded LIVE in Lausanne, Switzerland, October 1976

Both Live Peformances feature the Roach Combo with Billy Harper, Cecil Bridgewater und Reggie Workman

Considerably more intense than both the Live Date in Tokyo (January 21, 1977 at YUBIN CHOKIN HALL, TOKYO released on Denon) and the Horo studio recording released as "The Loadstar" in 1977"................ to my knowledge never digitalized.....

Edited by soulpope

Jonathon, you've already done such valuable work that we'll trust your judgment and your widespread experience. In other words, surprise us again.

I agree. Jonathan's putting up the money and putting in the work. It's his call and perhaps whatever he decides on will be a pleasant surprise for the rest of us. I'm just looking forward to the Joe Daley Trio release.

I'd love to see "Pee Wee Russell Plays" . . . though it's different than any of the other releases on the label, I think it has the requisite excellence. My dream release of it would have both stereo and mono versions.

Pee%2BWee%2BRussell%2BPlays%2BDot.jpg

Edited by jazzbo