JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Horace Tapscott arrived this morning and it's a knockout! The sound is unbelievably good, so good in fact that I had to dig out my old RCA Novus CD to confirm I was listening to the same album. The artwork is just what you'd expect from Jonathan... beautiful. Also included is an interesting essay by Bill Shoemaker which gives some background to the making of the album and the state of the LA jazz scene at the time.

My reissue of the year.......

My Horace Tapscott arrived this morning and it's a knockout! The sound is unbelievably good, so good in fact that I had to dig out my old RCA Novus CD to confirm I was listening to the same album. The artwork is just what you'd expect from Jonathan... beautiful. Also included is an interesting essay by Bill Shoemaker which gives some background to the making of the album and the state of the LA jazz scene at the time.

Agreed. That was the CD I used to have years ago. It was so muddy if I recall. This CD sounds incredible as I expected based on the great Flight for Four reissue.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Jonathan, the Tapscott release is another winner, for us for sure and hopefully for you.

Q: Is Self Determination Music off the table for all time? What if the current owner (or whoever that was who interrupted your plan) fails to move ahead?

I hope your projects someday cover some Cecil Taylor and Jimmy Lyons. I think a few noteworthy recordings by each were never properly issued digitally.

Happy New Year!

Dan

Thank you all for your kind and encouraging words on the recent reissues. They are very appreciated.

It would appear that Carter Bradford Self Determinism music will be put out by ACE records. They changed their mind and took it back from me. Hopefully, it will be a good reissue. I can't account for their actions but they wanted to put it out themselves. Don't know when it will come out. On Steig, I think this is just magical playing by both Steig and Zeitlin. Real magic and far superior to Steig with Bill Evans. I was told that Steig was in a very bad mood and state when he came to the studio to record that day with Evans. Whatever occurred, it doesn't match his work with Denny Zeitlin on Flute Fever. And lastly the Fischer work is just a brilliant arrangement which may sound very mundane or even corny on first superficial listen but if listened to against most of the cliche big band stuff that is put out, one realizes he was totally brilliant and original. True third stream music.

P.S. However, I can't see beating the importance of the Hemphill and Dixon reissues as the music is historically seminal in each case.

Again, thank you all for your comments.

Edited by JLH

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed. That was the CD I used to have years ago. It was so muddy if I recall. This CD sounds incredible as I expected based on the great Flight for Four reissue.

I called it my reissue of the year even before it was released!! (I have so much faith in International Phonograph discs & Jonathan)

Self-Determination Music on ACE will be out March 3. Disappointed Jonathan couldn't do it, but glad it's out there. I look forward to hearing it:

http://www.amazon.com/Self-Determination-Music-John-Carter/dp/B00S2WUEN6/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1421786707&sr=1-3&keywords=john+carter+bobby+bradford

I assume BGP/ACE are legit and just license stuff with a pretty all-over-the-place approach. Their catalog doesn't exactly appear well-curated.

A few comments: On Sonny's Dream I'd love to put it out but it's already out on CD and my normal policy is to issue only those items that have not been put out on CD or if they were, are no longer available. Maybe someday on Sonny's Dream. Love that performance. Clifford, on ACE not sure what is taking place. I'm not the sour grapes type as I could have prevented what took place had I put out Self Determination Music earlier. But I cannot account for what they did in pulling it back from me. I do hope they do a good job with the audio. The Giant remains one of the great performances. I just love it. So different and original. Thanks again to you all for your encouragement.

Self-Determination Music on ACE will be out March 3. Disappointed Jonathan couldn't do it, but glad it's out there. I look forward to hearing it:

http://www.amazon.com/Self-Determination-Music-John-Carter/dp/B00S2WUEN6/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1421786707&sr=1-3&keywords=john+carter+bobby+bradford

I assume BGP/ACE are legit and just license stuff with a pretty all-over-the-place approach. Their catalog doesn't exactly appear well-curated.

They bought the catalog and control it. They do a GREAT job with Blues oriented material.

They bought the catalog and control it. They do a GREAT job with Blues oriented material.

Amen to the last sentence.

And their soul releases are very well curated. They do a fantastic job (their Fame releases spring to mind).

And their soul releases are very well curated. They do a fantastic job (their Fame releases spring to mind).

agreed.....and we should keep in mind that ACE is maintaing this high standards for nearly three decades.....being IMO quite an achievement.....