JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

The separation and clarity of the two basses is a marvel on this reissue of ​The Giant Is Awakened. So glad it's out on IP (and also disappointed that Self Determination Music won't be on IP, but at least it's coming out).

What are you working on now, Jonathan? The Joe Daley, now that the Carter/Bradford is off the table?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your nice comments on The Giant. Love that music so we really did our best on the packaging and sound. Hopefully, it is worthy of the incredible artists on that performance.

Due to changes in my life, I'm moving my studio which has cut into my work on jazz reissues plus working with the companies who lease these jazz performances is not easy. Very hard. I'm working on the Daley and Ran Blake's Rapport and Film Noir vinyl. So those three will be next when I get back to it. I'll be 3 - 6 months taking care of the move, selling my current studio/house, finding new digs, moving, etc. But I'll be back in action and meanwhile will keep moving things along.

Edited by JLH

Hopefully, it is worthy of the incredible artists on that performance.

It is.

Flight For Four and The Giant Is Awakened are two of my all-time favorite albums. So glad you've preserved them digitally.

I hope the move and changes go as smoothly as possible. :tup Update us here when you get the chance. I will sock away some $ for the Daley set when it emerges.

• 4 months later...

Just jumped on a DG copy too. Nothing nearer to home and I'd been sitting on this for far too long. Got me a Tapscott LP to keep it company on its transatlantic journey (How do Dg manage to offer such more reasonable int'l postage than nearly all other US sellers?)

Thanks to you all.  Again, last copies of The Giant Is Awakened with Dustry Groove and they are gone.  I find my reissues sell about 1000 and that is it.  Jeremy Steig sold 1000 very very quickly and then died in sales.  Same with other issues -- even Bill Dixon.  The problem there is I don't make any profit at all at 1000.  So it's mainly a work of love which is fine. 

Daley will be a while and will need special handling.  Very complex mess right now which I need days to sort out and will in the future.  But for now I have the Ran Blake things to keep me occupied.  

it's none of my business, Jon, but are your costs primarily licensing or production? Because it seems you should be able to make money on sales of 1,000 cds. I would.

it also seems that you are missing out on the way jazz cds have a long shelf life; they might not sell a lot in the immediate sense but they will continue selling in the long run. Once again, this has worked for me. By putting out small numbers you create an immediate surge and then inflated (sometimes crazy) prices after the stock is gone. This in itself indicates that there is long-range demand.

My unit cost for CD replication (just the cds) is about  .40. Once again I assume you are printing greater amounts than you are making physical cds.

Edited by AllenLowe

Allen, thanks and this is very true, what you write.  My unit cost is astronomical.  The covers alone cost me $2500.00 plus about $1500.00 shipping, which I'm working on reducing.  And leasing is at least $3,000.00.  Already I'm at $7.00 a copy if I sell 1000.  You get the idea.  The covers kill me financially but I will never compromise on those.  If I sell 2000 over a long period which can happen as you describe, well then I come out fine.  That's why others don't make the covers and art work I do.  I don't blame them either.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered the Tapscott after reading that it was down to a few copies at Dusty Groove.  I had bought the Hemphill and the Dixon earlier, and, while that the Tapscott was about to go out of print motivated me to buy, I am certainly as happy to have this one as I am the other two.  Listening to the Tapscott over the past week or so, I have reflected on how much I appreciate this reissue series as it has introduced me to artists I had never explored before.  I am now wondering if I should get the Carter/Bradford before it goes, too.

About the Tapscott, when I have listened to it, it has reminded me at times of Don Pullen.  I only have one Pullen cd (Sixth Sense), and Giant is my only Tapscott,  Any thoughts?

I ordered the Tapscott after reading that it was down to a few copies at Dusty Groove.  I had bought the Hemphill and the Dixon earlier, and, while that the Tapscott was about to go out of print motivated me to buy, I am certainly as happy to have this one as I am the other two.  Listening to the Tapscott over the past week or so, I have reflected on how much I appreciate this reissue series as it has introduced me to artists I had never explored before.  I am now wondering if I should get the Carter/Bradford before it goes, too.

About the Tapscott, when I have listened to it, it has reminded me at times of Don Pullen.  I only have one Pullen cd (Sixth Sense), and Giant is my only Tapscott,  Any thoughts?

Yes:

Do not buy a single other record until you buy all of the following:

Don Pullen Mosaic Select

Don Pullen Black Saint/Soul Note Box Set

Carter-Bradford - Flight For Four

Carter-Bradford - Self-Determination Music

Carter-Bradford Mosaic Select

Carter-Bradford - No U Turn

Horace Tapscott - The Dark Tree

If you think I'm kidding you're mistaken!

Yes:

Don Pullen Mosaic Select

as colinmce says. Please do not sleep on the Carter/Bradfords....great music, consistently. I'm slightly less of a Pullen fan but the Black Saint box will give you hours of very valuable listening with some excellent musicians contributing throughout

Edited by mjazzg

Buy the live Lighthouse and Lombrero Tapscott's on the Nimbus West label (and the Nate Morgan's while you're there).  Do not pass go, do not collect $200 (spend it there instead - all of the LA sessions on that label are magical).

http://www.nimbuswest.com/

I like Pullen, but think his best work was done with Mingus.  The Carter-Bradfords are all good-to-great.  But Tapscott's music has a spiritual quality that I find incredibly compelling.

Edited by felser

Yes:

Don Pullen Mosaic Select

I went ahead and ordered Flight by Four.  On the subject of Pullen, is the Capital Vaults Jazz series entry for Pullen the same as the Mosaic Select, which is basically the Blue Notes? Or is my thinking about the lineage wrong?

http://www.amazon.com/Capitol-Vaults-Jazz-Don-Pullen/dp/B005DJIG7C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1438206932&sr=8-4&keywords=don+pullen

I don't generally buy downloads, but the price on this set is very nice.