JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I can chime in re: Don Pullen...  I COMPLETELY agree with all of the above, but don't overlook his work with George Adams.  Some of their LPs are collected on George Adams' Black Saint/Soul Note box, and one of them is in Pullen's Mosaic Select/Capitol Vault set.  But my favorite records by the Pullen/Adams Quartet were released on Timeless records: Earth Beams, City Gates, Live at Montmartre (with John Scofield) and Decisions.

• 1 year later...

Start hete....Chicago guy, great early 1960s, maverick trio, Daley himself apparently not as maverick, but still...peoples could play.

This wsd, through a totally random act of cutout kindnrsd, one if the first 100 jazz records I had. People have offered me good money over the years, but...hell no.

Count me in, sounds great to me, sort of love what the rhythm section is doing, sort of find parts of it bizarre, but it draws my ear.  Fascinating blurb about it by a poster at discogs.  Also, I know what you mean about the randomness of cutout bin experience (a necessity when working on limited teenage income)  shaping initial musical tastes, I went through the same thing, owning bizarro stuff like the Hampton Grease Band and Spontaneous Combustion and obscure stuff like Jimmy Heath's "The Gap Sealer" and the first Visitors album without ever having owned something like "Axis: Bold as Love" or "Rubber Soul" back in the day.

Anyways, here is that discogs blurb on Daley.  Hope JLH can clean up those tapes and return it to studio ambience.

genofefa

May 19, 2014

Joe Daley is a little heard of saxophone legend in the history of Chicago Jazz. This trio, featuring Hal Russell (of NRG ENSEMBLE fame) on drums and Chicago's Occult Bookstore proprietor Russell Thorne on bass, existed for only a handful of years before Daley's resistance to the free jazz and avant influences being brought into the group by the rhythm section caused the group to dissolve. 

The tunes here reflect an interest in the coming wave of avant garde developing in mid 60s Chicago with the birth of the AACM and the Art Ensemble. Thorne's contributions are particularly influenced by his association with John Cage and eastern philosophy.

Although this record is titled "Live in Newport 1963" it is actually a studio record that has been masked to be live. On the original LP there were breaks between songs that had an announcer introducing each tune. Any audible applause or sounds were added in the studio to create the live feel. The almost apologetic tone of the announcer (reportedly Daley himself?) and the uneven mixing of his vocal level create a horrible framework for an otherwise highly innovative piece of avant garde jazz history. 

• 1 month later...
On September 8, 2016 at 4:02 PM, mjzee said:

This arrived in the mail today so I'm planning on spinning it tonight.  I thought there was a thread specific to this from a few years ago but I haven't found it yet.  I seem torecall a discussion about this particular reissue back when it was still an idea.  I've wanted a copy of the album for a long time so I'm enjoying the rewards of my laziness.

23 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Les: yes, in this very thread the idea of this reissue was discussed and the reissue discussed. Go back to posts from 2012.

Thanks Lon!  I guess I didn't search far enough back.  I wanted to reread that after finally getting the fruit of his/their labor.  I sort of forgot about it until recently and finally got around to ordering it on line.  I'm off to the beginning........

On 10/13/2016 at 7:34 PM, six string said:

This arrived in the mail today so I'm planning on spinning it tonight.  I thought there was a thread specific to this from a few years ago but I haven't found it yet.  I seem torecall a discussion about this particular reissue back when it was still an idea.  I've wanted a copy of the album for a long time so I'm enjoying the rewards of my laziness.

Such great music, does the vinyl have the same tracks as the CD?

On October 15, 2016 at 10:40 AM, danasgoodstuff said:

Such great music, does the vinyl have the same tracks as the CD?

I apologize for not answering sooner.  I have been away a bit and then didn't see the message last night.  The album consists of the original three tracks plus one from Coon 'Bidness, so one track per side of the two lps.  No more, no less.  The sound is phenomenal.