JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

Dear All, To start this thread on my next reissue, can someone with the Arista Freedom issue tell me the number that appears on the right side of the spine of the vinyl cover. I need this for my reissue. I see it as 0693, but both my covers are smashed on the edge and it is not easy to read.

Then we'll move onto the next topic.

Thanks in advance whoever has this cover.

Jonathan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

0698 - $6.98 suggested retail price.

The catalog number on that reissue is Arista-Freedom 1028 (originally Mbari MPC 501).

Check this copy that came with a poster!

Btw, curious why you're going with the Arista artwork rather than the Mbari - the jacket on the Mbari is very nice-looking.

Can you post a pick of the Mbari? I don't even know the original label, let alone the "original" artwork. Thx!

Edited by Holy Ghost

Click the link to the Popsike auction - that's what it looks like, on the front anyway. I wish my copy had come with the poster but at least it's otherwise in good nick. Really fine record.

Mbari was Julius' label - also issued a double LP of overdubbed reed music, Blue Boye, as well as an LP of the poetry of K. Curtis Lyle called The Collected Poem for Blind Lemon Jefferson.

It's probably much too late for you to consider for your reissue, but Hemphill's Coon Bidness has one more track apparently from the same session as Dogon AD: it's The Hard Blues, Side B of the original LP, very much a piece with Dogon AD and of the same quality I think. Bruynincx (the only discography I have, and it's the old print version), gives Feb 72 as the dates for both recordings, so I'm guessing they're from the same session or near enough. I also respect your "no extra material" take on reissuing classic LPs, as they have their own balance and integrity, but in this case I wonder if it's a case of the artist having to leave off a track because of time limitations... Does anyone know the story here?

It's probably much too late for you to consider for your reissue, but Hemphill's Coon Bidness has one more track apparently from the same session as Dogon AD: it's The Hard Blues, Side B of the original LP, very much a piece with Dogon AD and of the same quality I think. Bruynincx (the only discography I have, and it's the old print version), gives Feb 72 as the dates for both recordings, so I'm guessing they're from the same session or near enough. I also respect your "no extra material" take on reissuing classic LPs, as they have their own balance and integrity, but in this case I wonder if it's a case of the artist having to leave off a track because of time limitations... Does anyone know the story here?

It will be part of the reissue.

Thank you all for your replies. I now have that spine number both from Clifford Thornton (thank you) and from Cuscuna. I am using the Arista cover as it is more known, has liner notes, has spine text, etc. The Mbari original had no notes, no spine text, and Michael Cuscuna told me Julius would much prefer the Arista cover which is wny Michael put out a new cover for the Arista release. I am completely duplicating the Mbari cover on the inside as an insert so the original cover will survive historically in the CD reissue. I went back and forth on this many many times and finally picked the Arista. But I could see it either way and still can. So I can't defend either decision, going either with the Mrabi or the Arista. I just finally picked the Arista and will have the Mrabi as the insert.

Hard Blues is right here on the master tapes I have and will be on my reissue because it was part of that 72 session. I think you all will be very happy with the sound. I've improved the transfer line from analog to digital yet again.

Jonathan

Edited by JLH

Michael Cuscuna told me Julius would much prefer the Arista cover which is wny Michael put out a new cover for the Arista release.

Not to pick a nit, but the Arista release was part of the Arista/Freedom series, and as I'm sure you know, there was a strict conformity of design to all the releases in that series (except maybe(?) the Braxton/Tietlebaum???), so that's why there was a new cover, I'm sure.

Anyway, hardly a dealbreaker, looking forward to the reissue, greatly.

The comments by Holy Ghost and David Ayers are exactly the thinking I went through back and forth and back and forth (the only time in all my reissue work I have ever had a hard time deciding). Again, I can't even justify the decision to myself. I just finally picked the Arista for several reasons one of which David expresses. I think by having the Mbari cover as an insert we obviate much of the negative side of not having it as the primary cover. Again, sorry to those who prefer the Mbari cover. However, I think you'll be pleased with the overall production and reissue.

Edited by JLH