jonathanhorwich

JLH reissue plans

1,066 posts in this topic

Probably not. What would you negotiate?

And is would not be licensed from Arista - Arista licensed it from Alan Bates (Black Lion/Freedom). The catalog was acquired by DA and that is where the reproduction rights lay.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

great description, Clifford :tup

shape of the table - hostage release - longer vacations.

I was editing as you typed. Check out my post.

Heard Vijay Iyer cover "Dogon A.D." at a recent concert. I may have been the only person who recognized it!

Heard Vijay Iyer cover "Dogon A.D." at a recent concert. I may have been the only person who recognized it!

It is also on his recent trio recording.

It is on his second-most recent trio CD -- Historicity. But thanks for the head's up, since I went looking but didn't realize that Vijay has a brand new trio recording called Tirtha, which I plan on getting tonight.

Edited by ejp626

It is on his second-most recent trio CD -- Historicity. But thanks for the head's up, since I went looking but didn't realize that Vijay has a brand new trio recording called Tirtha, which I plan on getting tonight.

I forgot about the recent release, which I have not heard.

Tirtha is quite good.

or saw it. :ph34r:

House was packed, my friend.

BTW does Von still do his Tuesday night gig at the New Apartment? I'm coming back to Chicago in June.

Will Dogon A.D. be released this year?..

I don't want to seem impatient :w ..but i am curious.Thanks.

BTW does Von still do his Tuesday night gig at the New Apartment? I'm coming back to Chicago in June.

The club has been closed for renovations. Not sure when it will reopen.

Stay in touch.

The club has been closed for renovations. Not sure when it will reopen.

Stay in touch.

I was at the New Apartment last June when the regulars were talking about Fred Anderson being in the hospital. The night he died (although I didn't know it) i was at a nearly empty Velvet Lounge. :(

Edited by Hoppy T. Frog

Hemphill covered it all the time himself. It's on a trio CD with Wadud and Joe Bonadio on Music&Arts. The title tune is catchy, but for those who have never heard the album both RItes and The Painter are even, IMO, better. So let's get this straight, the new version will include The Hard Blues? What about the other Mbari releases, particularly Blue Boye which is a personal favorite.

Agreed. The Painter is killer.

I would like to own a copy of the K. Curtis Lyle.

Marty Ehrlich has also covered Dogon AD on a recent CD (Things have got to change) It's a good disc, I think it's a quartet with James Zollar (Don't have the CD to hand...)

For those who asked when Dogon A.D. will come out, it will be this year without question. I just received the mock ups of the cover from Japan and it looks wonderful. Same treatment as Bill Dixon's Intents and Purposes. So things are moving along very nicely. Next is the sound of the music which is the most important item of all and and will receive the most care and attention.

Marty Ehrlich has also covered Dogon AD on a recent CD (Things have got to change) It's a good disc, I think it's a quartet with James Zollar (Don't have the CD to hand...)

Yeah, that was a good disc. I saw that band live and it was unfortunately really stiff and irritating, however. Too bad.

For those who asked when Dogon A.D. will come out, it will be this year without question. I just received the mock ups of the cover from Japan and it looks wonderful. Same treatment as Bill Dixon's Intents and Purposes. So things are moving along very nicely. Next is the sound of the music which is the most important item of all and and will receive the most care and attention.

Glad to hear everything's moving along smoothly.

BTW how are sales doing for "Intents and Purposes"?

Up for some air. Don't want this one to slip by! Listening to Coon Bid'ness now, and I so can't wait for this reissue!!! Thank you Jonathan for making this one available again.

I have the vinyl, but I'll buy the CD reissue when it arrives. I like the fact that the full session will be pulled together. First, the Dixon reissue and now this! A great year for reissues.

So glad this is coming out on CD! A few years ago, when I was writing an article about Hemphill's music, I had a hard time finding a copy of "Dogon A.D." Thankfully, a kind organissimo forums member came to my rescue!

Here's the article: http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2007/10/14/celebrating_his_joy_of_the_sax/

Once again, let me remind you that the headlines of articles are written by the copy editors, not the writers.