JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he wouldn't hurt a fly.

He would if he accidentally dropped his baritone on one.

I've got a vinyl of SOS. I haven't listened to it in so long I can't remember much about it. I know I love Bluiett every time I hear him though. That's a BIG sound.

I used to have a Black Saint one that I lent to someone and never saw again. It had a guitarist on it with the coolest name, 'William Spaceman Patterson'.

There's a Music Revelation Ensemble Lp with Bluiett on, it's some of the heaviest music I've ever heard.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for asking. Here is the latest. I have two projects going slowly forward (slowly as funds are tight). Jeremy Steig Flute Fever is with Sony for approval to add one tune's "outtake" as in my opinion it is the best performance of the session. And the tune, Lover Man, is now the full version which was edited on the vinyl. It is brilliant in full version. The producer George Avakian said at the end of the take over the loudspeaker, "Gentlemen, I'm sorry but that is a masterpiece." And indeed it is. The short version on the vinyl is not. Sony called today to say AR was listening to these changes. Once Sony is okay with them I'll move slowly forward as I get funds. But it has to come out in early 2013 as that is the 50th anniversary of the session and we want to wait until then to publish it. Meanwhile John Carter and Bobby Bradford, Flight for Four, is also moving forward and is now mixed and mastered as to sound. My opinion is the sound is stunning as compared with the vinyl, and I usually prefer vinyl. Next will be cover art work. I am not sure how fast or soon this will come out but I hope by the end of the year. With those two out for all of 2013, well that should do it for that year unless more funds come rolling in and then I'll either do Joe Daley or I'll do the next Carter Bradford on Flying Dutchman. I've slowed to a crawl due to funds. I hope to generate enough on my separate funding sources to move things up in speed. I may just settle for two reissues for another year. But I'm thrilled with Steig and the Carter Bradford. Both are favorites of mine. Not to offend those who don't like self serving hype, but I think the Steig is the best straight ahead flute playing I have heard (not to mention brilliant piano work by Zeilin) and I think Flight for Four is the near height of Carter Bradford's Avant Bop. But that is purely my opinion and that only.

Edited by JLH

Thanks. I have the rights to "The Giant Is Awakened" as well as the two Carter Bradford discs from FD. Just a matter of time in putting them out. Not sure how Tapscott's work would do financially but will probably put it out later as I move forward glacially. So I have enough material with the Joe Daley stuff to keep me going for the next two years. As I get funds I"ll put the stuff out so it is at least available to those who care, which was the original idea in putting out Dixon's Intents and Purposes and Hemphill's Dogon A.D.

Thanks. I have the rights to "The Giant Is Awakened" as well as the two Carter Bradford discs from FD. Just a matter of time in putting them out. Not sure how Tapscott's work would do financially but will probably put it out later as I move forward glacially. So I have enough material with the Joe Daley stuff to keep me going for the next two years. As I get funds I"ll put the stuff out so it is at least available to those who care, which was the original idea in putting out Dixon's Intents and Purposes and Hemphill's Dogon A.D.

Jonathan

I would have thought that Horace T had/has a reasonable fan base

thanks again

Edited by romualdo

Jonathan,

If you have rights into the FD vaults, how about Leon Thomas stuff? 'The Leon Thomas Album' has never made it onto CD (nor has the lesser 'Gold Sunrise on Magic Mountain'). Also, I don't believe Larry Coryell's 'Fairyland' has ever been on CD. The FD years were, to me, the ones that mattered for Thomas and Coryell.

Gee, I didn't know about the Leon Thomas Album. I just ordered it to hear it. And if Horace T. has a 1000 person fan base, I'll faint, happily. Selling these reissues up above 1000 is not easy but I'll persist and I'm sure one way or another I'll get these babies out. Fischer was and is rough as the music is just not "hip" or known to many people. It has no cache at all. Too bad as the writing and arranging is on another planet. But just not the right planet for many people. Anyway hopefully Horace T. will have a bigger audience.

Gee, I didn't know about the Leon Thomas Album. I just ordered it to hear it. And if Horace T. has a 1000 person fan base, I'll faint, happily. Selling these reissues up above 1000 is not easy but I'll persist and I'm sure one way or another I'll get these babies out. Fischer was and is rough as the music is just not "hip" or known to many people. It has no cache at all. Too bad as the writing and arranging is on another planet. But just not the right planet for many people. Anyway hopefully Horace T. will have a bigger audience.

Jonathan

If you want an idea of how well Horace sells (or doesn't) maybe you should talk to Tom Albach (Nimbus West Records <info@nimbuswest.com>) - he's been HT's mainman since the late 70's

I wonder how many people on this board would be interested in seeing this released (Giant Is Awakened)

Yeah, but so was Dogon A.D.. I think it would do very well. The "Spiritual Jazz shirt-lifters" (to use Stefan Jaworzyn's term) are all over Tapscott records. It would sell a thousand copies quite easily, especially with that beautiful gatefold cover artwork and improved sound. Not to mention it's an unequivocally great album.

And the Clare Fischer was/is great - hopefully the review in the NYC Jazz Record will get a few more people hip to it.

Thank you all for your excellent input. Yes, Tapscott came out on that combined CD with Carter but I don't count that. But Clifford I have heard this before, that Hemphill's Dogon A.D. came out on CD. I have never been able to find or confirm that. Can you enlighten me further. I just was never able to find it. Thanks. Okay this is encouraging on the Tapscott. Very encouraging. I emailed Tom Albach just now. And Clifford thanks for your kind words on Fischer. That is a rough one as even on this forum (maybe the best or as good-as-it-gets-ears in jazz are here) it had some lukewarm reactions. Sob.

The Fischer is great. I still spin it regularly. I've said before, and I will say again, I will buy anything you put out, period. I know the Tapscott from West Coast Hot but can't wait to hear it anew with the stunning artwork.

I believe Dogon AD was released by Tim Berne on his screwgun label with makeshift artwork about 10-15 years ago. He still offers Blue Boye in a similar incarnation.