JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the Fischer is wonderful indeed. I came to it with pretty virgin ears, too, not having heard much of his work before.

Funny, I just saw the earlier Dogon A.D. CD kicking around one of the shops in New York, used and priced cheaply. I didn't look at it too closely but it was a standard jewel case thing from (presumably) the late '80s or early '90s. Next time I go to the shop I'll see if it's still there and will try to figure out what the deal is.

I prefer vinyl on the whole but the sound of the Fischer beats the original Pacific pressing that I own. These reissues are pretty much a no brainer because the standard of the whole product is so very high. I have the Novus West Coast Hot CD and one of the Carter/Bradford LPs and I'll be up for JHL's reissue of any/all of these.

Edited by Clunky

And Clifford thanks for your kind words on Fischer. That is a rough one as even on this forum (maybe the best or as good-as-it-gets-ears in jazz are here) it had some lukewarm reactions. Sob.

I appreciate the Fischer being brought to my attention and enjoyed it overall. It made me also get Thesaurus so I could get a better sense of him. I'd be down with the Tapscott if you released it.

• 1 month later...

Thanks. I have the rights to "The Giant Is Awakened" as well as the two Carter Bradford discs from FD. Just a matter of time in putting them out. Not sure how Tapscott's work would do financially but will probably put it out later as I move forward glacially. So I have enough material with the Joe Daley stuff to keep me going for the next two years. As I get funds I"ll put the stuff out so it is at least available to those who care, which was the original idea in putting out Dixon's Intents and Purposes and Hemphill's Dogon A.D.

Any news about the Carter/Bradford and Tapscott releases?

Thanks for asking. I am putting out Steig Flute Fever in early 2013 as well as Carter Bradford Flight for Four soon after. Only lack of funds is holding things up. The sound on Carter Bradford is stunning and so is the playing so hpefully it will be well received. Thanks for asking.

Looking forward to both.

JLH I picked up Dogon AD and Intents and Purposes when they came out, not knowing anything about the reissue label. These releases sound fantastic, Dogon AD sounded much better than my Arista vinyl. I hope the Joe Daley box set will eventually become a reality. I was very surprised to see you offering master tape dubs on your website. I guess open reel playback really is making a come back! Just curious how those are selling?

Edited by Deepak

Thanks Deepak. Yes, by using the original master tapes to digital and with very good A to D we are getting pretty good digital sound. Yes, I also sell analog copies of my master tapes and it is a small but rewarding "business." I enjoy it as tape is the best sound I've encountered yet although digital is getting closer and closer. Using the Nagra VI digital recorder at 192 is pretty spectacular. Anyway the tapes sell just enough to almost break even, well like my CD reissues. Thanks for asking.

• 1 month later...

Thanks. I still plan to do the Joe Daley for sure. My only hesitation is I've not had good luck on other reissues with those who own the rights. But if that doesn't become an issue I will put it out for sure. I just have to save the money up as it will cost a big chunk all at once as it will be a gorgeous box set. But within the next few years, yes. This year will be Steig and Carter/Bradford.

Edited by JLH

Thanks on the kickstarter. I may do that but I hesitate to ask others for the money and then owe them that money. I've always been more comfortable making the money and then putting it out. I think I can make it and have made major progress in the last 4 months financially so I can support putting out great stuff. So I think I'll make it by next year for Daley. I think it will be around 20gs to do it right. Maybe 15gs. I may only put out 500 sets of it or 750. It will be a rare offering. I hear Hemphill CD is almost out now and that is that. Fischer did not sell well but I'm hoping it will slowly sell off even over several years. I love that work and hope it will get out to more people eventually.

Thanks for your interest in the Daley. I love the stuff I put together for that. So much great material and ironically the best is the live stuff and the live stuff was never put out. So strange.