JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Seeking is from 1969, with the same band as on Flight For Four. Are they really so different?

My bad, I got it confused with "Secrets". I really shouldn't post after 10PM. "Seeking" is a winner. "Secrets" isn't bad either, really. The FD stuff is top notch.

Sorry to see Bruz Freeman's name misspelled in the "Editorial Review". Chuck

Chuck I emailed the distributor to fix the typo on Amazon. I think the typo started with Flight for Four and was perpetuated on several vinyl albums from then on out. I fixed it on Flight for Four so the CD cover does not match the original Flight for Four vinyl in that regard and correctly so. Thanks for calling it to my attention in the Amazon blurb.

I was sorry to see Funkateer not like Seeking but understand we're into taste here not law. But I find Seeking and even more so Flight for Four very structured, tight, and controlled in the good sense. It is free bop of course. But I believe if you listened over time you'd enjoy it. I love it for that very reason, that it is so tight and consistent in its concept and playing.

And it will be out 1 July as we're printing the CD covers now as of today and the discs are already manufactured. Only the modern liner notes need printing now which get inserted as you all know.

Hopefully, next I'll be able to slip in The Giant is Awakened before Flute Fever which has to come out in the Fall. Or it will just be Flute for Fever the rest of the year and then The Giant is Awakened beginning of next year.

I'm so psyched to hear these Flying Dutchman records redone. I am listening to my vinyl rip of Self Determination music this morning, and I have to ask, again, regarding Encounters. John Williams, can you explain your process in building an entire (to be cultural touchstone) film score around a direct, five tone quote from an unheralded though stone classic?

But Seeking is from 1969, with the same band as on Flight For Four. Are they really so different?

Sorry for muddying the waters. Seeing your mention of Hat made me think of Comin' On, also on Hat Art. That was the "kettle" I was speaking about.

Thanks. I don't want to get in the way of commerce, either; I hope JLH sells all he can press of Flight For Four. I guess my general befuddlement is about what people hear that eludes me; that's why I keep grappling with Ornette every so often, even though I haven't changed my mind about him in decades.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dear All, Flight for Four is now done and being released in two weeks.

On another topic has anyone heard the Flying Dutchman release: George Russell Presents Esoteric Circle, The ‎– The Esoteric Circle -- Flying Dutchman ‎– FD-10125? If so please let me know your impression of this for reissue. I have just ordered a copy of it and from my understanding it did come out in Japan on CD. But that would be all. Thank you.

Dear All, Flight for Four is now done and being released in two weeks.

On another topic has anyone heard the Flying Dutchman release: George Russell Presents Esoteric Circle, The ‎– The Esoteric Circle -- Flying Dutchman ‎– FD-10125? If so please let me know your impression of this for reissue. I have just ordered a copy of it and from my understanding it did come out in Japan on CD. But that would be all. Thank you.

It's a really interesting session—a contrast to where Gabarek went in later years. It was released on CD in Japan in 1988 and I believe it also briefly showed up on CD in Europe,

Good news-I'm ready to order. I'm a big Russell fan too; was this reissued as an LP on Arista/Freedom in the 70s?

Yes, it was reissued on Arista/Freedom. Note that Russell only produces the LP.

Edited by B. Clugston

• 2 weeks later...

Received my copy of Flight For Four today. Will listen tomorrow. The product itself is a thing of beauty — just gorgeous. The separate insert containing Ed Hazell's essay on the band is also a very nice touch; not simply well-written, but generally stripped of writerly adjectives, which made for pleasant reading. Informative (who knew?) too.

Kudos again to Jonathan for putting this one out. I'll post again after I've given it a close listen. Can't wait for the Tapscott, and hope it's still in line.

Received my copy of Flight For Four today. Will listen tomorrow. The product itself is a thing of beauty — just gorgeous. The separate insert containing Ed Hazell's essay on the band is also a very nice touch; not simply well-written, but generally stripped of writerly adjectives, which made for pleasant reading. Informative (who knew?) too.

Kudos again to Jonathan for putting this one out. I'll post again after I've given it a close listen. Can't wait for the Tapscott, and hope it's still in line.

Mine's on order. I'm really looking forward to seeing/hearing this one.