JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

OK — I just spent the last two hours listening only to the first three tracks (on repeat). Having listened (for 15 years now? Hard to believe) to the old Novus CD of this material, I must say I wasn't prepared for the sound that came out of the speakers. Carter's horn is amazingly present, almost jarringly so at first, but I think this is because I've gotten used to the boxy and restricted sound of the original CD. The transferred sound is excellent, make no mistake. What's most enhanced, to my ears, is the bass playing of Tom Williamson. Wow! Is there such a thing as a hybrid of Charlie Haden and Ron Carter (without pitch concerns)? Williamson is something along these lines — somewhat like a slowed-down Gary Peacock, perhaps. I envy listeners who will hear the music on this new CD for the first time. Make sure you have some uninterrupted time to yourself. This disc is very much worth close examination.

I also would like to ask — who's been living with the vinyl since 1969/1970? I'm curious to hear impressions by this slice of the crowd.

Track 3 ("Woman") shows off Bradford to excellent effect. (I'll listen to the remaining tracks tomorrow.) The way his lines bounce off of Williamson's — this is the "underground" (of Los Angeles, for its time) made "above" ground. Description fails, and I haven't even gotten to how much I like Bruz Freeman's playing — almost like Shelley Manne if he'd had an ear for free stuff. Tuneful, even delicate at times, free drumming it is. Not at all like Sunny Murray (who is also tuneful, of course); this is a whole other ball game.

I'm very glad this music is out again for listeners to hear and absorb. Tell your friends, hip and un-hip. It feels like a mini cultural event.

What do others think? Has the disc come to your mailbox?

Edited by Late

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK — I just spent the last two hours listening only to the first three tracks (on repeat). Having listened (for 15 years now? Hard to believe) to the old Novus CD of this material, I must say I wasn't prepared for the sound that came out of the speakers. Carter's horn is amazingly present, almost jarringly so at first, but I think this is because I've gotten used to the boxy and restricted sound of the original CD. The transferred sound is excellent, make no mistake. What's most enhanced, to my ears, is the bass playing of Tom Williamson. Wow! Is there such a thing as a hybrid of Charlie Haden and Ron Carter (without pitch concerns)? Williamson is something along these lines — somewhat like a slowed-down Gary Peacock, perhaps. I envy listeners who will hear the music on this new CD for the first time. Make sure you have some uninterrupted time to yourself. This disc is very much worth close examination.

I also would like to ask — who's been living with the vinyl since 1969/1970? I'm curious to hear impressions by this slice of the crowd.

Track 3 ("Woman") shows off Bradford to excellent effect. (I'll listen to the remaining tracks tomorrow.) The way his lines bounce off of Williamson's — this is the "underground" (of Los Angeles, for its time) made "above" ground. Description fails, and I haven't even gotten to how much I like Bruz Freeman's playing — almost like Shelley Manne if he'd had an ear for free stuff. Tuneful, even delicate at times, free drumming it is. Not at all like Sunny Murray (who is also tuneful, of course); this is a whole other ball game.

I'm very glad this music is out again for listeners to hear and absorb. Tell your friends, hip and un-hip. It feels like a mini cultural event.

What do others think? Has the disc come to your mailbox?

Shipped but hasn't arrived yet.

Not hip to the new Bradford/Carter, but looking forward a lot.

But just a quick shout out to Jonathan regarding the Clare Fischer, which I finally got: excellent! I didn't quite know what to expect (although I have "Thesaurus" and the early trios on the Mosaic Select) and I was *very* surprised in a decidedly good way!

Finally ordered my copy of the Fischer - I know the music is excellent, but I'm looking forward to the great sound you coax out of these tapes.

It would be great to have a simple list of your reissues somewhere here. Just artist's name, title, issue number.

Support the man, buy em all! I did...... :g

same here - how can you resist the gorgeous packaging & stunning remastering (lots of superlatives here)

While we are discussing Clare Fischer - I'm currently listening to another of his Big Band (& sextet) efforts a la mambo i.e. "Manteca!" - just been released as a TOCJ

I did too. And the Fischer (which I had before JLH's reissue) keeps growing on me as well.

Ditto, impossible to resist . I've an original vinyl of the Carter/Bradford , so I will be keen to see how they compare.

Edited by Clunky

Just pulled the Fischer from my mailbox and listened: the sound is every bit as great as I expected, the dynamics are astounding, and it brings out every detail of Fischer's unorthodox instrumentations. I agree this is a masterpiece, that ranks along with the best Gil Evans albums. Clare Fischer may be my top favourite arranger .... IMO nobody wrote better for low brass & woodwinds.

Is there no more definite information about the recording date, or the unidentified conga player on the last track? Chino Valdes?

Thank you so much for this lovingly produced reissue!

I have the Fischer and C/B on order. I have really enjoyed both the Dixon and the Hemphill.

I, like most folks I know that are interested in this music, don't subscribe to any jazz publications anymore. I wouldn't have known about JLH's efforts were it not for this board. I have gifted the Dixon and Hemphill to a couple of friends. How do you reach your audience?

Jonathan, I can't recall whether you said you were considering re-issuing the other John Carter/Bobby Bradford Flying Dutchman album "Self -Determination Music" but I've always enjoyed it as much as "Flight for Four" and it would lovely to see it given the JLH treatment....plus of course, the same goes for Horace Tapscott's "The Giant is Awakened" which is still awaiting a CD re-issue.

Whilst on the subject of John Carter/Bobby Bradford on Flying Dutchman can anyone tell me anything about the two tracks by the JC/BB Quintet with Horace Tapscott mentioned in my Bruyninckx (spelt right?) - "In The Vineyard" & "Avant Garde". They appear to have been released on Flying Dutchman FDS109 but Google says this is an album called "Hogfat" by Jimmy Gordon & His Jazznpops Band. Does anyone know whether they have ever been released on vinyl or CD?

Update:

I've just noticed that the two tracks are available on a recently re-issued compilation "Headstart" by The Bob Thiele Emergency. My order's in!

Edited by Head Man

Got my copy of "Flight for four" and have briefly compared to my original vinyl. The reissue is as you'd expected wholly faithful to the original in every way. The sound of the horns seem a little more forward on the new CD but its a marginal thing. I've a decent set up for both CD and vinyl and the CD sounds really good and of course totally free from any pops and clicks. Another really great reissue. Thanks.

In the meantime I ordered a copy of the Bill Dixon ...

... which turned out to be as lovingly done as the others. Not the type of music I can listen to every day, but I get the message.

Keep up your high standards, especially in chosing the albums for reissue. Really looking forward to the Steig ....

• 2 weeks later...