JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all for your kind words. Very appreciated as mentioned earlier. Next to reissue is Jeremy Steig Flute Fever on 1 Dec 2013. It is at the distributors now and ready to issue then. Next will probably be the Horace Tapscott The Giant is Awakened. Then John Carter Bobby Bradford, Self Determination Music. I may switch the order of the last two but I doubt it. As far as making these release known I relay on the few reviews I get, word of mouth like this site, and the reputation of the label and finally the distribution to stores through my only distributor. My marketing efforts are pretty lame so mainly word of mouth and reviews. Sometimes I write a famous reviewer, supposedly very hip at that, and they act as if the reissue is just another jazz CD amongst the pile so doesn't get reviewed. Here are some recent reviews of Flight for Four:

http://burningambulance.com/2013/07/31/john-carter-bobby-bradford/

http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2013/08/09/a-classic-album-by-the-john-carter-and-bobby-bradford-quartet-gets-the-proper-treatment
http://www.pointofdeparture.org/PoD44/PoD44MoreMoments2.html

Thank you all for your kind words. Very appreciated as mentioned earlier. Next to reissue is Jeremy Steig Flute Fever on 1 Dec 2013. It is at the distributors now and ready to issue then. Next will probably be the Horace Tapscott The Giant is Awakened. Then John Carter Bobby Bradford, Self Determination Music. I may switch the order of the last two but I doubt it. As far as making these release known I relay on the few reviews I get, word of mouth like this site, and the reputation of the label and finally the distribution to stores through my only distributor. My marketing efforts are pretty lame so mainly word of mouth and reviews. Sometimes I write a famous reviewer, supposedly very hip at that, and they act as if the reissue is just another jazz CD amongst the pile so doesn't get reviewed. Here are some recent reviews of Flight for Four:

http://burningambulance.com/2013/07/31/john-carter-bobby-bradford/

http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2013/08/09/a-classic-album-by-the-john-carter-and-bobby-bradford-quartet-gets-the-proper-treatment

http://www.pointofdeparture.org/PoD44/PoD44MoreMoments2.html

Great news about the forthcoming releases, Jonathan. You can be guaranteed of at least one sale of each......

How are sales going for "Flight for Four"? It really is a beautifully produced album...thank you once again for re-issuing it.

Thanks so much again. Flight for Four seems to be selling okay but too early to tell as it is always that second 500 that is hardest. I almost always sell 500 right off the bat because of the reputation of the company now. Hope it sells 1000 as that is all I printed. That is what I'll be printing of all my next releases.

If someone still needs to be convinced into getting Clare Fischer's 'Extension' I would like to add my comments. This is one of Fischer's most interesting albums from so many aspects. The compositions, arrangements and Clare's own playing make it really stand out from anything else from that time. Jonathan's reissue is immaculate and sounds noticeably better than my original mono LP.

Thanks. I would not say Joe Daley is way on the back burner. it is just putting out 3 CDs in a gorgeous box is doing to take some doing. Or I put them out one by one. Not sure yet. But as long as I had the leasing rights to ACE Records, I'm doing those now while the iron is hot. But I do have my releases for the next year. But then Daley will come up. i need to assemble all the music and then decide my route. I'd love to put it all out in chrono order as it is fascinating and especially the actual live music (never heard) is fabulous.

Personally I like the idea of having three discs together, whether as a box or in a trifold sleeve. I think it would have more "oomph" that way in the marketplace, but I agree it's also an expensive proposition. Looking forward to the upcoming batches! I need to pick up Flight for Four, even if I've already got a fine LP of it. You've got my support in this endeavor.

Just saw on Amazon that Flute Fever is available for pre order. It has a beautiful cover.

I was reading the liner notes from the Concord Denny Zeitlin/David Friesen duo release. Interesting quote: "Friesen was playing in Seattle around 1965 or '66 when he heard flutist Jeremy Steig's Flute Fever album on Columbia Records, featuring Zeitlin's recording debut (while still a medical student at John Hopkins!). 'I was blown away by Denny's playing,' Friesen says. "I knew he was someone I'd like to hook up with someday........'

• 5 months later...

Hey thanks so much. And as a note the Hemphill is rapidly running out. Soon there will be no more so good you got one. The Fischer is a strange one in that some people (like myself) think it is a work of genius but others are thrown by it as it sounds so benign or something. It is very easy listening. Like elevator music. But the truth is it is brilliant arrangement of instruments as good as anyone ever achieved in my opinion. But some avant oriented listeners are thrown by it. The Steig is simply the finest straight ahead jazz flute performance I have heard. Anyway thanks for your encouragement. Tapscott's The Giant Awakens is now well in the works.

The Fischer is different, but I still have it in my collection; hopefully I will come around to enjoy it as much as others have. The Steig was genuinely ear opening, as it blew my conceptions of what can be done by flute (other than Eric Dolphy or Roland Kirk, but neither were pure flautists).

Yes, I am looking forward to more Tapscott!

Edited by Stefan Wood

• 1 month later...

I just received the Carter/Bradford "Flight of Four" and it is already the 3rd successive time I am playing it. Wonderful.

Same goes for Flute Fever. The remaing 3 titles from these series are on the way.

Perhaps the most amazing reissues lately. Please bring us more!

Edited by Alexandros

Dear All, hey guys thanks so much. I really appreciate the kind words. I would like to bring up something which really began this thread. I will be out of killer performances soon. What to do next is up the air. I'm okay for a year or so. And the Joe Daley should work out okay if I can put together the money.

But think about this. I'm not looking for a reissue some guys might like or that you might think is really good. I need stuff like I've put out. Whether someone likes the Steig or not I can defend it in my own mind as what I think is the greatest straight ahead flute performance ever. No one is going to show me a performance on flute that betters it. Period. Same with Hemphill I put out or Dixon or Carter/Bradford. They just stand the test of time and even Fischer which is rough for many people to like, well I have no doubts about its genius and my only regret is I'll lose money galore on it. But I know it is brilliant and should have been done. I need something like that to reissue. that's why I started this thread. Can all of you who read this think it over. Not just something good. Or very good. But killer that has not come out on CD or is long ago on CD and no longer. Thanks guys.