JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

Apologies if you've answered this one before, but what about the complete Ne Plus Ultra sessions, specifically the 14 Sept date which yielded only one issued take? A huge drawback for this potential release is that the album has been issued twice on CD, but with extra music and restored art at your standard...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies if you've answered this one before, but what about the complete Ne Plus Ultra sessions, specifically the 14 Sept date which yielded only one issued take? A huge drawback for this potential release is that the album has been issued twice on CD, but with extra music and restored art at your standard...

Yes , yes , quartet ....

I'd love to see "Pee Wee Russell Plays" . . . though it's different than any of the other releases on the label, I think it has the requisite excellence. My dream release of it would have both stereo and mono versions.

Pee%2BWee%2BRussell%2BPlays%2BDot.jpg

Since this can be found on an in print Lonehill CD ..... nice album.

Thanks for your suggestions. As a note I don't get what JSngry means by "Although perhaps not for life in general, hello this. Or perhaps for life in general after all. Who am I to judge?" I'm probably a bit dense.

​Well thanks for the encouragement on the Joe Daley. I'm definitely going to do it. On Ne Plus Ultra, I'm sad to tell you that Werner who heads Hat Hut destroyed this and two other of our masters. My partner Bill Hardy who had one of the best ears in jazz was not good with the mechanical end. I was away for a while (my huge mistake) and Bill leased Ne Plus Ultra to Hat Hut who copied it to digital but had trouble with the tape not knowing what sticky tape syndrome is and decided to destroy the tape and did so. I found out about this years later from him. I almost sued but did not. This is a criminal act and someday I still may sue him. But very involved. Anyway the original tapes are all gone. I only have his digital copy which at his engineer's standard sucks. They didn't know how to handle tape at all (its so easy once you know what to do) and surely did not know how to make a 1 to 1 copy from analog to digital. Hence not sure what I'll do with Ne Plus Ultra. By the way, one thing I do not like about Ne Plus Ultra is that Marsh doesn't solo enough or long enough. Bill had a genius recording for us and he should have centered the performances around Marsh going at it. Instead it is very very good but could have been magical. Sad story really. I probably will put out the Revelation Marsh stuff from the Half Note if I don't get put in jail. Now that stuff is the shit. Marsh is on another planet on those improvs we put out on vinyl. Anyway, let me review all these suggestions.

What's your take on "Hum Dono" actually? No idea how feasible it might be on the side of laws and stuff, but musically, ain't it wonderful?

Sad story about the "Ne Plus Ultra" masters - wow! But that live material ... from what time is it and who's playing with Marsh there? Sounds like a great plan to me, either way!

Also most happy to hear the Daley is going to happen :tup :tup :tup

If there were good rehearsal material from the 2nd Monk Big Band record on Columbia....

You're talking about "Big Band & Quartet in Concert"? I'd second that - it was out on CD but is long out of print. Why they didn't keep it in the catalog is a mystery to me. I think that concert is one of the best things Monk has ever recorded. Although I'm not sure if any rehearsal material would stand up against these great concert performances.

Edited by mikeweil

What's your take on "Hum Dono" actually? No idea how feasible it might be on the side of laws and stuff, but musically, ain't it wonderful?

Sad story about the "Ne Plus Ultra" masters - wow! But that live material ... from what time is it and who's playing with Marsh there? Sounds like a great plan to me, either way!

I think Jonathan is referring to the Half Note recordings from 1959 (Konitz/Marsh/Evans/Garrison/Motian) - some was released in full on a Verve twofer CD in the 90's

The LP releases on Revelation 22 & 27 (The Art Of Improvising, Vols 1 & 2) were just the Warne solos with rhythm section plus the occasional Konitz

Edited by romualdo

Thanks for your suggestions. As a note I don't get what JSngry means by "Although perhaps not for life in general, hello this. Or perhaps for life in general after all. Who am I to judge?" I'm probably a bit dense.

​Well thanks for the encouragement on the Joe Daley. I'm definitely going to do it. On Ne Plus Ultra, I'm sad to tell you that Werner who heads Hat Hut destroyed this and two other of our masters. My partner Bill Hardy who had one of the best ears in jazz was not good with the mechanical end. I was away for a while (my huge mistake) and Bill leased Ne Plus Ultra to Hat Hut who copied it to digital but had trouble with the tape not knowing what sticky tape syndrome is and decided to destroy the tape and did so. I found out about this years later from him. I almost sued but did not. This is a criminal act and someday I still may sue him. But very involved. Anyway the original tapes are all gone. I only have his digital copy which at his engineer's standard sucks. They didn't know how to handle tape at all (its so easy once you know what to do) and surely did not know how to make a 1 to 1 copy from analog to digital. Hence not sure what I'll do with Ne Plus Ultra. By the way, one thing I do not like about Ne Plus Ultra is that Marsh doesn't solo enough or long enough. Bill had a genius recording for us and he should have centered the performances around Marsh going at it. Instead it is very very good but could have been magical. Sad story really. I probably will put out the Revelation Marsh stuff from the Half Note if I don't get put in jail. Now that stuff is the shit. Marsh is on another planet on those improvs we put out on vinyl. Anyway, let me review all these suggestions.

Ridiculous story about Hat hut and the Ne Plus Ultra Tape. If you don't know what to do with a tape, you don't destory it. Pure craziness. I don't know if there should be repercussions. That's your call.

Looking forward to the Daley release.

Ridiculous story about Hat hut and the Ne Plus Ultra Tape. If you don't know what to do with a tape, you don't destory it. Pure craziness. I don't know if there should be repercussions. That's your call.

Looking forward to the Daley release.

Wondering why a owner would lease an original tape without having a first generation analog and/or digital copy based on best possible technical/aural standards at his disposal - but otherwise really sad that somebody would destroy a tape at all, even the imagination hurts......

Edited by soulpope

Sue him? Hell, kill him. He's done all the good he can do and now seems to be turning towards destruction.

Not sure what movie this is from, but it springs to mind from time to time. Not sure if it was James Coburn or Richard Roundtree...might have been somebody else, Pauil Newman, maybe?

Hell, lots of people have said lots of things in lots of movies.

The destruction of the tapes is not unusual. EMI dumped a bunch of 78 masters once they were transferred to tape in the '50s. I also know of at least one label from my era that dumped tapes after the first digital transfer, and worse dumped tapes deemed "degraded" and not able to transfer to digital.

When I told the label owner of the way to reclaim the tapes he said "shit".

I think Jonathan is referring to the Half Note recordings from 1959 (Konitz/Marsh/Evans/Garrison/Motian) - some was released in full on a Verve twofer CD in the 90's

The LP releases on Revelation 22 & 27 (The Art Of Improvising, Vols 1 & 2) were just the Warne solos with rhythm section plus the occasional Konitz

I have what I believe is an "unauthorized" release with 12 of the complete Half Note takes.

I understand there are more than 40, so I'd buy it to get the other 30.

Edited by jlhoots

I have what I believe is an "unauthorized" release with 12 of the complete Half Note takes.

I understand there are more than 40, so I'd buy it to get the other 30.

1 YOU STEPPED OUT OF A DREAM 27-track 10 7:42

14 BACK HOME 22-track 19 6:41

15 HALF NELSON 22-track 20 6:41

16 TANGERINE 27-track 4 6:25

17 YARDBIRD SUITE 27-track 6 7:36

18 BODY AND SOUL * 7:15

19 BACKGROUND MUSIC 27-track 11 8:26

20 WILL YOU STILL BE MINE? 27-track 7 9:02

21 PENNIES IN MINOR 27-track 14 inc. 6:34

1 IT'S YOU OR NO ONE 7:50

2 HOW ABOUT YOU 22-track 10 6:29

3 SCRAPPLE FROM THE APPLE 22-track 11 5:09