JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW i had a quick listen and it's gotten me pretty keen on hearing the JLH release of the Daley material when it eventually comes out. I feel like i had a similar reaction when that link was posted at some earlier date, possibly elsewhere, but somewhere along the line i forgot about it. Anyway, this time round i've firmly planted it in my brain (Joe Daley Joe Daley Joe Daley) to keep an eye out for the official release.

• 1 month later...

Dear All, some good news and some bad. On Daley it is now good news. Here is why. ACE Records in UK who owns the rights to the Flying Dutchman Label material has withdrawn their approval for me to put out the next Carter/Bradford material, which was going to be my next release. Originally they told me, which I have in writing, they had no plans to put out the three reissues I was interested in: Carter Bradford Flight for Four (now out), Horace Tapscott, The Giant Awakens (now being manufactured as we speak) and finally Carter Bradford, Self Determinism Music. Ace Records has suddenly written me and withdrawn their approval for me to release Self Determinism music. They have decided to put the music out themselves to try and make money with it. I won't bother you all with the gory details but obviously there was some shift internally on putting things out and they used a ridiculous reason for taking away my right to lease it. I am not fighting it as not worth it and at least the music will be available, although questionable as to their packaging and audio quality, which is a shame. I question their quality as their justification for taking back their approval on my rights with this issue was so lame and dishonest morally, that I question their standards generally. So that is what just happened.

The good news is I only have one known reissue left to do which is the Daley material. I will plunge back into that and try and sort through all of it. It is a lot of material and I lost track of where I was and what I figured out on it. So I"ll start all over and get it all sorted out. sometime this year I hope to release at least one of the three CDs but hopefully a box set. As I go through it and get a grip I'll let you know if my memory is correct and the final trio work that actually too place at Newport and was not what was put out, is indeed as good as I remember when I made the transfers at Sony studio in NYC.

So Joe Daly is next and after that I have no idea. I have to find something I adore or I won't put it out. But Daley will keep me very busy for the whole year sorting it out and getting the money to put out 3 CDs at once.

Seems like they saw how well you were doing with it and decided to get a piece of the pie. Probably won't be as well done either. Sorry to hear this.

BUT I can't wait for the Daley and even though I have a perfect original LP of the Tapscott, am glad it's coming back to the marketplace. It's a great one.

If I may make a suggestion, Mohawk by the New York Art Quartet is one of the greatest albums never to make it to CD outside (briefly) Japan. That would be an artistically meaningful release if there were any way of doing it.

Totally agree. Wonder how easy it would be to pry out of the hands of DA Music/Alan Bates, especially now that those weird bootlegs are floating around...

Thanks for the update, Jonathan.

Sorry to hear you've been let down by Ace... what a bummer! Let's hope they do put "Self-Determination Music" out... and soon!

Anyway I guess you can now concentrate on the Joe Daley... make it the boxset.....please!

Oh yes, and do let us know when "The Giant Awakens" is available so that I can get my order in.

Speaking of DA Music... what about Marion Brown Porto Novo? I am very fond of this session with the Dutch rhythm section of Maarten Altena on bass and Han Bennink on drums. I always felt like it was of a piece with Theo Loevendie's great Stairs! album on Artone. The original Polydor cover is cool looking, and certainly the sound is better than on the more-often-referenced Arista-Freedom version. It was on CD at one point in the '90s with grainy artwork.

i was thinking of a Sidney Bechet LP of private (John Reid) recordings from 1939 that was issued on what I had remembered as Ne Plus Ultra. Checking the shelves, I see that it is "Nec Plus Ultra" but that it may be a series (of one?) issued by French Vogue. Perhaps I was confusing that and the Warne Marsh album "Ne Plus Ultra."

Not any label I know.