JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

I agree on Porto Novo but that was on CD for quite a while. I'd put Mohawk first by a large margin, for the grittiness of its conception and for the grainy, visceral impact of the recorded actuality (I don't say "of the sound"). I never tire of it.

Paper Man I also own on LP but I can hardly remember it.

I'd add that Mohawk is not for me a favorite or desirable rarity, it is one of my very favorite records and I think it is indispensable.

Edited by David Ayers

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... what about Marion Brown Porto Novo?

Brown's strongest work, in my opinion. Very much deserving of wider recognition.

attachicon.gifelizabeth-bishop.jpg (UK) attachicon.giflouise-glück.jpg (Japan)

There are also two other Japanese sleeve designs. One could argue for grit and grain being the defining characteristics of Porto Novo as well. Not to denigrate Mohawk, which is probably THE New York Art Quartet record and one of the better documents of the period (along with Intents & Purposes, Unit Structures and several others).

JLH - How about drawing up concrete plans for the Daley box set and taking some very early pre-orders to help finance it? I know that there is a lot of interest here at the forum in making that box set a reality.

Would be more than glad to pre-order! :tup

JLH - How about drawing up concrete plans for the Daley box set and taking some very early pre-orders to help finance it? I know that there is a lot of interest here at the forum in making that box set a reality.

Would be more than glad to pre-order! :tup

Ditto

Dear All, Thanks for your offers to preorder. Much appreciated and this is possible. I'll have to figure this all out once I tackle it after Tapscott.

I will be at Capital Audio Fest but Tapscott won't be ready then. Probably August. Sorry about that. I'll be playing master tape copies at CAF.

The only good news about the Carter Bradford cancellation is that I will devote my full attention and energy to the box set, which it requires.

• 1 month later...

Thanks all. Yes Tapscott is completely done except the liner notes inserts are being printed here in Chicago as we speak. Then they ship to CA to be collated with the rest of the parts and voila. So October for sure. And I don't get copies here for sale. So sorry. I am not allowed to sell any as the distributor does.

And I'd like some input from you all on Ran Blake's Rapport. I love it. Unusual and good. Whether it would sell I can't say but the music is wonderful and original. Don't know how others feel.

I ran across it listening to other possible reissues. And don't worry Joe Daley will be coming out next year probably.

Ran is a musical hero of mine and I'd LOVE to see you release one of his records. RAPPORT is a spectacular record that acts as a good primer on his music and sound world. That said, it wouldn't necessarily be my first pick. But THAT said, out of Ran's OOP music-- and that's the bulk of his 70s and 80s recordings-- RAPPORT and FILM NOIR are about the most attainable for liscensing. The Owls are owned by Universal, the Horos are owned by who knows, TAKE 1 & 2 are private press tapes owned probably by Ran, and PAINTED RHYTHMS are owned by GM. For my money, his total masterpieces of the era in question are the PAINTED RHYTHMS and VERTIGO albums.

Long story short, I'd recommend FILM NOIR above RAPPORT, yet I would also never, ever turn down the chance to have the latter on CD. Long ago I suggested THE NEWEST SOUND AROUND. It came out on legit CD in France around 2000 and has since turned up on a couple Andorran labels. So maybe it's too late for that one, but I still think this very seminal record deserves a legitimate domestic release.

I know there are other big FILM NOIR fans on here.

Rapport is a very good one. While it's not at the exalted level of Intents and Purposes or Dogon A.D., it is doggone good. It's a great introduction to Blake because of the variety of tunes and personnel. Not sure how it would sell, since the vinyl is very easy to find, but pairing it with Film Noir would increase the interest.

Rapport is a very good one. While it's not at the exalted level of Intents and Purposes or Dogon A.D., it is doggone good. It's a great introduction to Blake because of the variety of tunes and personnel. Not sure how it would sell, since the vinyl is very easy to find, but pairing it with Film Noir would increase the interest.

When "The Giant is Awakened" is released, I MUST remind myself to order "Intents and Purposes"

Have they ever?

Black Saint and Soul Note were apparently reliable when it was Giovanni's operation; now that the business has passed on to his kids, they aren't abiding by original contracts. This is what I have been told by musicians & musicians' next of kin.

I thought the family sold the labels to the outfit that became CAM.

• 1 month later...