JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go to Dolphy, you go to Sonny Criss, I think...all those L.A. altoists have a certain tinge to their tone & a certain pronounced rhythmic curlicue that as far as I can tell is coming out of Criss' reaction to Bird.

Of course, the way stuff happens in real time is never quite as cut and dried/easily delineated as it is after the fact...

qedl.jpg

:crazy:

Q.E.D. in-DEED!

If you go to Dolphy, you go to Sonny Criss, I think...all those L.A. altoists have a certain tinge to their tone & a certain pronounced rhythmic curlicue that as far as I can tell is coming out of Criss' reaction to Bird.

Of course, the way stuff happens in real time is never quite as cut and dried/easily delineated as it is after the fact...

qedl.jpg

:crazy:

Q.E.D. in-DEED!

Earl Anderza, too:

And Jimmy Woods:

In an interview with Tim Berne, who was a student of Hemphill, by Duncan Heining, Berne had this to say about influence:

It's been suggested that Ornette was quite an influence of Hemphill's music but Berne dismisses this. "If they're from Texas and knew Ornette and they're not playing chord changes, then they're going to say he sounds like Ornette. His first influences were really Charlie Parker, Lee Konitz—he had a band that used to play Gerry Mulligan arrangements—and he was totally into Cannonball."

Check out the full interview here:

Tim Berne on Hemphill

Pete Brown? Greatest blues alto player ever, in some opinions. Ubu - time to draw another line.

Where can he be heard? I've got the shortish Hawkins Newport 1957 disc and some stray stuff here and there (Frankie Newton, Sir Charles Thompson, Coleman Hawkins, Buster Bailey, Leonard Feather)

The Classics Pete Brown is very hard to get...

Try your luck with that Progressive CD (with Jonah Jones):

7009%2BPete%2BBrown.jpg

Pete Brown is on several sessions of the Frankie Newton 1937-1939 Classics (probably also hard to get):

1937-1939-frankie-newton-cd-cover-art.jpg

Even harder to get (probably) is his Verve album 'From the Heart' recorded in 1959 (and not really his best!)

best stuff is from the 1940s - there's a Classic CD - and there's a solo on a Helen Humes Decca, called Unlucky Women, that may be the single funkiest alto solo ever put on record.

"Unlucky Woman" is on Spotify, along with a lot more vintage Pete Brown. And Humes sings her butt off on "Unlucky Woman," too.

Another excellent but semi-forgotten earthy "jump" altoist of the time was Don Stovall. Check out on Spotify his "Check Up" with Red Allen from (I think) 1947.

And some Stovall on YouTube (with some nice Byas and top-drawer Lips Page on "Lafayette"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv1Dthm22Vw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O90qaOLXjZw

Wow, thanks for all the replies, will check out the links (and spotify if it works here) tomorrow!

I do have the Frankie Newton Classiscs disc, but damn if I knew where it is right now... will dig for it tomorrow, too.

Your flow chart reminded me of another alto player, Anthony Braxton- it looks like the title of one of his pieces.

Ha! Make that a big fat line from Poppa Lee to Tony, please!