JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

Thanks. If Amazon UK sold any of my earlier releases then it will sell Tapscott. The distributor either has a relationship with UK Amazon or not. Not sure myself. Let me know if they did sell earlier reissues of mine and if so you're in luck. If not, I'll contact my distributor after you let me know. Thanks.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. If Amazon UK sold any of my earlier releases then it will sell Tapscott. The distributor either has a relationship with UK Amazon or not. Not sure myself. Let me know if they did sell earlier reissues of mine and if so you're in luck. If not, I'll contact my distributor after you let me know. Thanks.

I can't remember whether I bought your previous releases through UK Amazon, but the only one currently showing on their site is the 'Clare Fisher - Extension'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still no mention of "The Giant…" on Import CDs though it's available through Amazon US & UK, Dusty Groove (currently OOS), Downtown Music Gallery & even Ebay

I've bought all of Jonathan's previous releases through them & the CDs have all been advertised weeks before release date - wonder what's happening here

DMG lists it as a limited edition of 1000 copies!! - more hype or is that the case Jonathan?

I picked up the Jeremy Steig, it's great, and I had never heard it, thanks so much! I also have the Julius Hemphill, which is also wonderful. Look forward to the other releases, which I hope to come by over time. The Tapscott is a seminal session. I own the West Coast Hot CD which contains that album plus Bradford-Carter tracks, but would really like to upgrade, and your release represents a major quiality upgrade. And I think I certainly need to check out the Bill Dixon, which I have also never heard. And the Carter-Bradford. Can anyone give me a reference point on the Clare Fischer, so I would have an idea what it would be like? It must be really good, but I'm not sure what to expect.

Edited by felser

I'll say this: I would never bother with the Fischer if Jonathan hadn't put it out and I hadn't read his take on the session. On the face of it, it's maybe more or less what you'd expect from a mid-size Pacific Jazz date from the early 60s. It's airy, melodic, concise. I don't have a great ear for the subtleties, but I take Jonathan at his word that what's happening is unique. It's certainly not at ALL boring or by the numbers. So, as a person who doesn't listen to a ton of stuff like this, I get a lot out of it and am pretty well enraptured when listening to it. That says a lot. Of course, the package is gorgeous, too. I would fully recommend it.

Imagine the Fischer as being the type of album Gil Evans could have made if his primary collaborator had been Lennie Tristano instead of Miles Davis.

That's a gross oversimplification, but start from there and see where it goes.

Actually that is very helpful for me, as I seem to "get" Tristano. Thx.