JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

depends if it's the good hives or the bad hives...

to me Pete Brown is the one sax player I can listen to who plays "funky" in a way which feels natural and not like the run of bad rock and roll saxophone players. He just has the feel and the rhythm - not to mention that on things like Mound Bayou (by Humes again, though it is unfortunately a Leonard Feather tune) he has a time feel that predicts certain bebop things. My favorite thing on Unlucky Woman is when he plays one particularly funky phrase and you can hear the band responding (which includes, I think, Dizzy, IIRC).

Another early alto I like is Rudy Williams.

and when I heard Earl Warren play in NYC in the '70s, he was playing more alto in that style than anyone I ever heard in person, including Benny Carter (and Earl never recorded in a way that reflected his abilities).

and yes, Stoval is quite good, especially with Byas.

though now that I think of it the award for Funkiest saxman, who even beats Pete Brown, goes to.....

Horsecollar WIlliams with Etta Jones. Amazing stuff.

Edited by AllenLowe

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has gone so far off topic... the discussions in other threads, mainly the Budd Johnson one, had me pop in Roy Eldridge's Pablo album "What It's All About" - with Norris Turney on alto. I'm not too familiar with him - Randy Weston's "Tanjah" (where he appears next to Budd Johnson, just on the Roy album), and of course lots of late Ellington.

Where does he fit in?

Ha, why did no one tell me there's a Pete Brown session on Hep's fine "Sounds of Harlem, Vol. 2"?

There are also several tracks with Don Stoval on alto (spelled with one"l", it seems - same spelling on the tray card of the CD), first there are two by Joe Brown, and two more adding singer Jewel Paige.

Then there's a Sam Price (same as Sammy Price?) date - four tracks with Emmett Berry, J.C. Heard, Stoval and Fess Williams (clarinet & alto).

The Pete Brown date is at the very end of the disc, from Feb. 9, 1942, with Dizzy, Jimmy Hamilton, Price and singers Helen Humes (on three) and Nora Lee King (one title).

Found the Frankie Newtwon disc... will listen to these now, intrigued - thanks everyone for the various hints and enthusiasm!

to me Pete Brown is the one sax player I can listen to who plays "funky" in a way which feels natural and not like the run of bad rock and roll saxophone players. He just has the feel and the rhythm - not to mention that on things like Mound Bayou (by Humes again, though it is unfortunately a Leonard Feather tune) he has a time feel that predicts certain bebop things. My favorite thing on Unlucky Woman is when he plays one particularly funky phrase and you can hear the band responding (which includes, I think, Dizzy, IIRC).

OK, me again... yes, that's a great session!

"Mound Bayou" is nice enough, no matter it's by Feather... Humes is great anyway, and Brown's backing on these tracks is very good! And yes, the band does indeed include Dizzy (or did you just mean he's one of the responders?), as well as Jimmy Hamilton, Sammy Price, Charlie Drayton and Ray Nathan. Helen Humes sings on three tracks (Mound Bayou, Unlucky Woman, (Can't Read, Can't Write) Gonna Buy Me a Telephone), while Nora Lee King sings on the fourth tune (The Cannon Ball). All lyrics on the Humes tunes are by Feather, "Unlucky Blues" is all by Feather (L & C Feather? Who's C?)

A friend of mine just ordered one of the Tab Smith Delmarks... got to check that out once he gets it!

Pete Brown can also be heard on Champion Jack Dupree's Blues From the Gutter, IIRC!

Great record! Fine playing by all involved - Dupree, Pete Brown, Ennis Lowery (Larry Dale), Wendell Marshall, & Willie Jones.

Pete Brown made a very good record in 1954 for Bethlehem with Joe Wilder, Wade Legge, Wally Richardson, Gene Ramey, & Rudy Collins. It was reissued on Affinity (paired with a Jonah Jones date) as Harlem Jump and Swing - AFF 96.

Dogon A.D. is now out and available on several sites include Dusty Groove. As a heads up this has sold much faster than even Bill Dixon and I have sent off 1200 copies of the 1500 I printed. In short I have 300 copies left and that is it. Hope you all enjoy. Jonathan

Hope you sent enough to Amazon for all the preorders of which mine is one.

Dear All, Thanks Mr. Thornton for your kind words on the sound. And Kyo thank you too. The chances of me printing more than the 1500 Hemphills I already printed is unlikely. On Bill Dixon I printed 2000 at the behest of the distributor City Hall Records and now I've got some 700 discs to sell. They probably will over a several year period but that ties up funds which would be putting out other reissues. So on Hemphill it will be 1500 and that will be that. Dusty Groove in Chicago is selling them like crazy and just reordered more and got them. Anyway, there you go. On to the next reissue.