JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

Dear All, Thanks Mr. Thornton for your kind words on the sound. And Kyo thank you too. The chances of me printing more than the 1500 Hemphills I already printed is unlikely. On Bill Dixon I printed 2000 at the behest of the distributor City Hall Records and now I've got some 700 discs to sell. They probably will over a several year period but that ties up funds which would be putting out other reissues. So on Hemphill it will be 1500 and that will be that. Dusty Groove in Chicago is selling them like crazy and just reordered more and got them. Anyway, there you go. On to the next reissue.

Sorry to hear that you've been left with that many Bill Dixon copies to shift. It's such a beautiful reissue and should be in everyone's jazz collection.

I've just had confirmation that that my copy of Dogon AD is on it's way from DustyGroove. Let's hope you manage to shift all your 1500 copies of that one.

BTW what plans, if any, do you have for more reissues in the future?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since it seemed like amazon was sticking to that 10/18 release date, this morning I became impatient, canceled my preorder and submitted an order with Dusty Groove. Basically the same price and I just received my shipping notification from Dusty Groove. I have had this on vinyl (the Arista/Freedom reissue), for years and am really looking forward to the upgrades in the reissue.

Dear All, Thanks Mr. Thornton for your kind words on the sound. And Kyo thank you too. The chances of me printing more than the 1500 Hemphills I already printed is unlikely. On Bill Dixon I printed 2000 at the behest of the distributor City Hall Records and now I've got some 700 discs to sell. They probably will over a several year period but that ties up funds which would be putting out other reissues. So on Hemphill it will be 1500 and that will be that. Dusty Groove in Chicago is selling them like crazy and just reordered more and got them. Anyway, there you go. On to the next reissue.

I'm interested in the business model, which assumes a constituency of no more than 1500 hard-core collectors/fans worldwide, who will snap up such issues on first release, and then a more casual market so small and slow on the uptake that their needs are not really worth anyone investing in. We heard some years ago that EMI deleted BN titles selling under 500 a year and Jonathan's data here seems to confirm that. Verry interesting.

If the rule is 500 a year, I should delete my catalog.

It's a labor of love!

I am told that classical records, which in their heyday sold 20% new release to 80% back catalog, have now reversed this ratio. So all that classical back catalog which looks so stable is sustained by very low sales - hence the need for the endless repackaging of many titles designed to thrust them back into the market for a short time. So according to this model, titles that sell, sell for two years, and after that go to a trickle. I have to say that things I buy are either new (day-of-release, very often) or heavily discounted (!!) but mainly the former. Maybe the whole market has gone the same way as me?

Received this yesterday, and immediately listened to it twice through. This is amazing music done in great sound and with great care and respect. Thanks, Mr. Horwich! You are slowly but surely setting the bar for how reissues should be presented, but unfortunately never will by those who hold the lion's share of valuable music recordings.

Just got this the other day. Holy crap. There are not enough superlatives for this-- both the quality of the music and of the reissue.

This and the Bill Dixon have to be the best jazz reissues I've seen in a long time. That should be enough to satisfy me, but I have to ask...Damn, what's next?

Btw, in a fit of confusion (it's happening more these days), I ordered 2 from different suppliers AND received both copies. Second copy is still sealed. If anyone in the US missed out and needs a copy, please PM me. Cost is what I paid for it ($16.99) plus cost of shipping method of your choice. Otherwise it goes back.

Thank you all for your kind comments. Very appreciated. Several topics: The print through is on the master tapes (of course as that is where print through comes from) and we did not try to take it out and mar the audio. So what you hear is what was there on those tapes. I have found so far with well known titles I will sell a total of about 1500 in the end. I imagine with some of my releases they will be lucky to sell 750. For instance, my next reissue is Clare Fischer, Extension. Well although this is one of my favorite big band albums of all time, not many people know about it. I'll print 1000 but that is optimistic. Then will come either Jeremy Steig Flute Fever or the Flying Dutchman Carter Bradford material if the legal issues sort out. That would sell 1500. So, that is what is over the horizon and those are the sales figures I can figure out. Anyone who has two of the Hemphill is lucky. Hold onto those two and use one up and keep the other sealed. It will be a collectors item in a few years and you'll be happy you have two.