Introducing the iPod mini!

Jim Dye

VERY cool! :) I've always wanted an iPod but the cost was quite prohibitive. And the fact that I don't really know what I'd do with it. I mean... I mainly listen to music in my car and it has a CD player... that's all I need.

Then again, the whole concept of going to CompUSA with a 10gig iPod and transfering Microsoft Office to it's internal harddrive is quite tempting... ;)

It's actually a 4GB hard drive. When I first read this, I thought they had figured out how to get 4GB *flash* memory in a player for $249. Might be a few years before that happens...

I'm a big fan of the Archos Jukebox (20GB HD, paid around $200 for it), but this iPod looks really cool.

Three dumb questions:

1. Does it play "standard" MP3 files?

2. Does it need any special software to run under Windows? There appears to be a Windows version of the new unit.

3. Does it show up as a standard, "removable" hard drive when plugged in? It's USB 2.0, I'm assuming.

The reason I like the Archos so much is that the answer to the above questions is yes, no, yes. The (small) downside is that it's a bit bulky.

Edited by Uncle Skid

I'm not sure I understand the price point. You can have a 10GB iPod for $299. I just did the math in my head and that's like $50 and 6 extra GBs.

Beat me to the post. I agree and see that it's actually a 15 giger for $299. But it is another TWO OUNCES more. Apple just tosses these things out like smelt hoping for some early biters.

I'm not sure I understand the price point.

A pedantic aside... is there any difference between a "price point" and a "price"?

But pedantry aside... how does this thing work? You plug it into your computer and download huge quantities of MP3s onto it, then listen to it like any portable audio device?

To do this you need software that is sold with it (for Apple) or a free download (for Windows)?

Edited by Tom Storer

I'm not sure I understand the price point.

A pedantic aside... is there any difference between a "price point" and a "price"?

But pedantry aside... how does this thing work? You plug it into your computer and download huge quantities of MP3s onto it, then listen to it like any portable audio device?

To do this you need software that is sold with it (for Apple) or a free download (for Windows)?

"Price point" and "price" are basically the same thing. I rarely hear anyone who isn't involved with retail refer to a price as a "price point." I work in retail, and we never call refer to it as anything but "price point."

As for your next question, yes, you plug it into your computer and download mp3's from your computer to the device, using the software that comes with it. If I remember correctly, recent versions of the iPod actually came with both Mac and Windows software. The Windows software was not iTunes, but in the future it may be.

It's just like any other portable audio device, except that it records the music onto a hard drive instead of another type of media. I've had a 20GB Creative Nomad for a while and have always loved it. I take it everywhere I go. I've considered upgrading to a 40GB iPod but find the cost rather prohibitive. I believe Creative now makes a 60GB player that's cheaper than the 40GB iPod.

Hope this information helps.

Price point has a more strategic connotation for me. A company determines how it wants to introduce a new product or service and many things are factored into this before taking it to market. Price point is sort of a "manufacturer's suggested retail price." The price tag may be very different at the retail level.

iPod, because it is an Apple product, has a very fixed cost. You will have a hard time finding a new Apple product at much of a discount. If anyone knows where to find Apple products at a good discount though, hook me up!

Thanks, vibes. I'm going to have to start saving my pennies for one of these things. Currently I have a CD/MP3 walkman which I like because I can listen to CDs directly on it, but I guess the inconvenience of having to convert audio CDs to MP3s is compensated by not having to put MP3s on CD-Rs.

Another question: I can plug my CD/MP3 walkman into the stereo and play MP3s that way. Can you do the same with an iPod?

They upped the old 10GB to a 15, so now the mini is the 10.

BTW it has both firewire and usb ports, and the Windows iMusic software is a free download.

No, the mini is just 4GB. So for another $50 beans you get a unit that's 2 oz heavier and 11 gigs heartier. Nits But as you say Chris it is USB equipped for the Windows folk. Guess that's their niche.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

I am told, by a Windows user who just got a new iPod for xmas, that they are now equipped with both firewire and usb. I haven't seen it yet though. Exciting rumor though, no? ;)

Not a rumor. they really do have both ports.

MGA, I meant to correct my post--4GB indeed, which makes buying the 15 for $50 more a sensible thing to do. The mini should have been around $100, IMO--I bet it either gets there before too long or is boosted up to 10GB

I have several friends who have had their iPods for a year or two, but none have had the mentioned battery problem.

Where did you read this?

Chris, as I recall, the article I read was in this past Wednesday's Raleigh News & Observer. The article was about the iPod's dirty secret guy, as referred to in the link posted above.

This morning's USA Today has an article about this new iPod on page 2B, and says that the new replacement battery costs $99, not fifty like I recalled.