Steve Lacy

Late

I maintain my soft spot for Futurities (I'm in the 1980s now) ...

A favorite here as well. Not many people seem to get into those two discs. (You have to like Irène.)

Yeah, agreed. But in addition to the awesome instrumentation (Barry Wedgle!), there's something about the distant quality of her vocals that really accentuates the Creeley poems.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ5ORdM6ZQk

thanks it's apparently from this Lacy doc which I enjoyed listening to/watching as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWOEUlmoHBQ

np

What is the song Lacy plays on the piano and sings at the end of this documentary? Sounds like the Spirit Of Monk got into him.

That's a tune called 'Agenda'...

I only know this because I recorded it recently with the fantastic Italian saxophonist (who I believe may actually have helped produce that Lacy film you link!) Roberto Ottaviano...Roberto made a double CD homage to Lacy, which Lacy fans (and others) may well want to check out! There's a little taster here.

Looking forward to grabbing the Ottoviano CD. I know you're not just "playing Waldron", so that should make things quite interesting.

If anyone is interested, I have a spreadsheet of Steve Lacy's recordings that is as complete as I know. I included only leader dates, or albums where he makes a significant contribution, so a few marginal things are missing. I also skipped over the early Dixieland stuff. I hope to flesh this document out as time goes on, but I use it as a guide for which recordings I have, which I need, which I'd like, and which I will skip. Just drop me your email address. (FWIW the count stands at 166 known works available!)

If someone could help to direct me to information about the handmade box set of Lacy's "farewell tour", I would appreciate it. I forget the title and am having trouble turning it up.

It's called Blossoms. Can't find the website.

Thanks, I found information about the single disc on the Senators site. Maybe the box set never came into fruition. I thought I saw a photo of it once, but perhaps I made that up.

If someone could help to direct me to information about the handmade box set of Lacy's "farewell tour", I would appreciate it. I forget the title and am having trouble turning it up.

Thanks, I found information about the single disc on the Senators site. Maybe the box set never came into fruition. I thought I saw a photo of it once, but perhaps I made that up.

I'm also thinking that the box set probably never happened. It took me forever to find the single disc of Leaves/Blossoms; I finally bought a copy from Martin Davidson, who was distributing it for a while.

SteveLacyLeavesBlossoms.jpg

Steve Lacy - Leaves Blossoms (Naked Music)

This could also be read: Steve Lacy Leaves: Blossoms.

This arrived in the mail today, and I'm very gratified. I became aware of this album years ago, but was unable to find a source for it. It was so elusive that I came to believe it didn't actually exist - I thought perhaps that it was planned, but never actually issued. Well, about a week ago I found that it actually exists, and I'm glad it does.

The album comes from a series of "farewell" concerts presented in Belgium in the summer of 2002, just before Lacy left Europe to move back to the States. (Thus the dual meaning of "leaves" - noun and verb.) Lacy duets with Fred Van Hove (on accordion!), Joëlle Léandre, violinist Michail Bezverhny, Irene Aebi, and pianist Frederic Rzewski, and also plays a couple of solos. (The duet with Joëlle Léandre also appears on the One More Time album on Leo.) The music is wonderful - a nice variety of colors; some Lacy compositions and some improvisations.

This was supposed to be a prelude to a box set of all the "Leaves" concerts. That set apparently never appeared, but I wasn't sure this single CD was actually issued until about a week ago. You can get it from Martin Davidson at Emanem Records. He ships to the U.S. reasonably and incredibly quickly.

From a post of Jeff's back in 2013.

I recall seeing a photo too on a Belgian website, but there was never any ordering information.

• 3 months later...

Dusty Groove adds the illuminating comment:

"... Irene Aebi sings her usual wordless kind of things ... "

:rolleyes:

Dusty Groove's item descriptions have always bugged the &%$*@ out of me. I still shop there, but I can't read their vapid copy. I swear, if you deleted the words "little" (every other item is called "a great little record"), "angular" (somehow meant to portray anything except possibly Lester Young), and "genius" — well, their whole catalog of copy would have holes in it.

Dusty Groove adds the illuminating comment:

"... Irene Aebi sings her usual wordless kind of things ... "

:rolleyes:

Dusty Groove's item descriptions have always bugged the &%$*@ out of me. I still shop there, but I can't read their vapid copy. I swear, if you deleted the words "little" (every other item is called "a great little record"), "angular" (somehow meant to portray anything except possibly Lester Young), and "genius" — well, their whole catalog of copy would have holes in it.

"a little hippy-dippy for us..."

• 3 months later...

Not sure anyone else noticed, but earlier this summer Martin Davidson announced a disc of performances from the last Lacy tour featuring the Beat Suite band.  The information has since disappeared from the Emanem site, so I assume this project has been cancelled.  A pity. (I can think of one possible culprit, unfortunately)

I assume that I***e pulled it? The thing is, she keeps thinking she should do these archival issues herself, but then has no money nor bandwidth to do them. So she's out potential royalties and we don't get to hear the music. Of course, it's her right, but it seems like a bad way of doing business - especially when someone like Martin Davidson is there to do things more or less "above board." I don't think that you get to complain about bootlegs and file sharing when you refuse to have the stuff in your (or others') possession released.

I assume that I***e pulled it? The thing is, she keeps thinking she should do these archival issues herself, but then has no money nor bandwidth to do them. So she's out potential royalties and we don't get to hear the music. Of course, it's her right, but it seems like a bad way of doing business - especially when someone like Martin Davidson is there to do things more or less "above board." I don't think that you get to complain about bootlegs and file sharing when you refuse to have the stuff in your (or others') possession released.

Clifford, what do you mean by "more or less"?