Steve Lacy

Late

38 minutes ago, romualdo said:

LP #1 (Hedges - live Switzerland 81) of the double LP set (Ballets) was released in 2014 on the double Emanem CD "Cycles". The Emanem release has a further 5 previously unreleased tracks from the same concert. AFAIK the second LP (The 4 Edges) has never made it to CD.

Cycles: 1976-1980

Ah, thanks! I have yet to pick up that Emanem set. That's a lot of solo Lacy. Anyone here have it? Looks like a valuable release. 

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, soulpope said:

I would really appreciate a new Steve Lacy archive release ....

Have you heard all the Lacy releases out there? There are about 200 of them - genug, oder? Although these trio releases are great indeed - I like "bye-ya" on Freelance in particular. Sort of heard this trio live in Paris around 1999-2000 - I came to the concert but did not have enough money for entrance, so I stood outside the door for 20 minutes or so (until the bouncer told me to beat it). Lacy sounded gorgeous to me even in this suboptimal environment. 

Saw Lacy a few more times in other configurations - with Waldron, Rudd and Reggie Workman, I think. Don't have much recollection of these concerts.     

51DKp-zoqXL.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.

13 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Have you heard all the Lacy releases out there? There are about 200 of them - genug, oder? Although these trio releases are great indeed - I like "bye-ya" on Freelance in particular. Sort of heard this trio live in Paris around 1999-2000 - I came to the concert but did not have enough money for entrance, so I stood outside the door for 20 minutes or so (until the bouncer told me to beat it). Lacy sounded gorgeous to me even in this suboptimal environment. 

Saw Lacy a few more times in other configurations - with Waldron, Rudd and Reggie Workman, I think. Don't have much recollection of these concerts.     

51DKp-zoqXL.jpg

I believe most of them I heard und numerous I do own .... saw Lacy several times - as Trio, Sextet,  part of the Herbie Nichols Project of Misha Mengelberg and with Mal Waldron inter alias .... and genug ? Yep, it`s a superb body of work .... but still a new archival release would come welcomed ....

14 hours ago, Late said:

Ah, thanks! I have yet to pick up that Emanem set. That's a lot of solo Lacy. Anyone here have it? Looks like a valuable release. 

yes - two & a half hours of sublime solo Steve, mostly unreleased (15 tracks) with 5 titles (Hedges Cycle) from Switzerland (1981) that were released on the Ballets 2LP - these are also accompanied by a dancer who you can hear occasionally on these tracks - the remaining previously unreleased Swiss titles (two on disc 1 & five on disc 2 - got that wrong on a previous post) are sans dancer. The Hedges Cycle was originally written for sax & piano but here its with sax & dancer

Tracks cover Shots, Sands & Hedges Cycles, 

Highly recommended - i'm biased of course - big fan of Steve

that Cycles set is really nice. I think you can hear the dancer better on the CD than on the LP, and that adds an interesting cast to the proceedings. Martin Davidson works wonders.

I'll buy anything with Lacy on it -- think the only bandleader LP I'm missing is Space Who (though I've got a rip of the music). And of course there are scattered CDs that I've yet to pick up, but there's time. It took me awhile to appreciate Aebi but as Jim says above, it's my ears, not the composer's, that have to catch up. She's crucial to so much of Lacy's musical world.

I only saw Steve Lacy just the once, in his later years - with Betsch and Abenel - but it was memorable. Recall that he covered some Monk tunes. Also that Dr Art Davis was sat at the next table and enjoying it, the only time I ever saw him too.

Edited by sidewinder