Steve Lacy

Late

I've seen it on a couple of sites but apparently it's OOP at the moment.

I was about to order it but since it's obviously quite hard to get I may have to postpone my order.

The Bards carry the 3-disc Saravah set off and on. That's where I purchased my copy. Though currently out of stock, here 'tis.

To my ears, it's quite different than what came before and what immediately came after. My favorite period of Lacy is around 1976-79, and the Saravah recordings seem more of a transitional period to me. They hold a lot of interest, but their focus occasionally seems fuzzier. If you're a hardcore Lacy fan (or, God forbid, a completist), they're probably a must-have. If you're more interested in "classic" Lacy (from any period or year), you might want to flesh out your Hat titles (or some of the harder to find solo operations) first.

Some highlights of the Saravah set include:

• Earlier Derek Bailey with Lacy's group. They later went on to record the wonderful duo Outcome (1983) on Potlatch.

• Lacy on sopranino. With Potts on soprano, it's a Squeak-O-Rama!

• Lacy with Butch Morris. Lacy's not too often in the company of the cornet and/or trumpet.

Truth be told, I don't play this set as much as I should. When I reach for Lacy (these days), I tend to grab his trio sides from 1976 (e.g. Live in Italy), or the solo disc Actuality, from '93.

There is still a ton of Lacy I don't have, too ... (Some day the Horo catalog will make an appearance on compact disc? :rlol )

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to read this thread on Steve Lacy. I only saw him once but I'm very glad that I did. It was at a club in Long Beach that he apparently used to play every time he was over in LA. The thing that stands out is the incredible inner logic of his solos and his great enthusiasm. Thanks indeed to Mr Lacy for that great evening.

Truth be told, I don't play this set as much as I should. When I reach for Lacy (these days), I tend to grab his trio sides from 1976 (e.g. Live in Italy), or the solo disc Actuality, from '93.

I listened to its sound samples at amazon.com and I'm not sure if I want to have the box set.It sounds interesting BUT there were some tracks that I'd most likely like to skip.

I just love his duet albums with Mal Waldron (I have most of them) and his trio albums such as The Rent (I could play that one forever!).When it comes to his Hathut albums there is no better introduction to his music than his duet with Mal on Dreder set (4cd-set).

Now I just have to hunt those all those missing Soul Note and Hathut albums. *sigh*

Scratching the 70s is worth it for including "The Owl." That may be my single favorite Steve Lacy record. Some of the material on Scrathing the 70s is highly experimental hit-and-miss early 70s sort of stuff that I don't listen to very often.

Edited by John L

... too much Lacy to keep track of!

Ain't that the troof. Turns out I was wrong about Points. It's solo-duo-trio (but no quartet). Here's what Senators sez:

Steve Lacy: soprano saxophone

Steve Potts: soprano saxophone (A1,B1,B2,B3)

Kent Carter: bass (A1,A3)

Oliver Johnson: drums (A1,A3)

A1/ The Mooche (Ellington) 5:00

A2/ Pot-Pourri 3:30

A3/ Stalks 12:30

B1/ Free Point 8:15

B2/ Still Point 5:40

B3/ Moot Point 5:30

Recorded at Studio Résonances in Paris, February 1978.

Engineer: Robert Prudon

Cover art: Anne-Marie Dufour

Photos: Michel Adda.

1978 - Chant Du Monde (France), LDX 74 680 (LP)

Must ... hear ... this ... album ...

— — I bet brownie's heard it!

• 3 months later...

i am really surprised that seve lacy's "Snips" has never been discussed! :o

this 2-disc set is steve's first solo concert in america. it was recorded in march of 1976 in a new york city "loft".

steve is amazing and the music is first rate!

the recording sounds to my ears like someone put a tape recorder on a table and let it go, so there is the occasional crinkle and some audience noise. it is not offensive at all (see my jason moran bandstand thread for my rantings about bad sound).

for me, the way it was recorded actually made me feel like i was there!

steve even "raps" a little on some of the cuts! in "hooky" he implores "don't go to school, don't go to school!"

and he plays like no one else!

if you are a lacy fan, i think this release is a must own!

:)

B00004UERB.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

i am really surprised that seve lacy's "Snips" has never been discussed! :o

this 2-disc set is steve's first solo concert in america. it was recorded in march of 1976 in a new york city "loft".

steve is amazing and the music is first rate!

the recording sounds to my ears like someone put a tape recorder on a table and let it go, so there is the occasional crinkle and some audience noise. it is not offensive at all (see my jason moran bandstand thread for my rantings about bad sound).

for me, the way it was recorded actually made me feel like i was there!

steve even "raps" a little on some of the cuts! in "hooky" he implores "don't go to school, don't go to school!"

and he plays like no one else!

if you are a lacy fan, i think this release is a must own!

:)

B00004UERB.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Marvellous one! I got it in a drimala sale last year, for 5$!

When I saw Lacy live, solo, only a few months before he died (I think it was Nov. 03), he did the "rap"-thing too, for some short moments. What a fantastic concert that was, how glad I am to have caught him live, in time! What a sad loss!

And how ironical to introduce him to that stupid DB Hall of fame now... they would have elected someone else, if he wouldn't have died right in time...

At least they printed some short parts from old interviews that are a great read.

This is my fav Lacy. Actually four of my fav musicians getting together. Recorded live at one of the greatest concerts that happened in Japan in the 80s. I have been regretting to this day that I did NOT go to the concert!! Still remember having seen the flyer....

Bura Bura / Masahiko Togashi

Masahiko Togashi (perc), Steve Lacy (ss), Don Cherry (tp, p, vo), Dave Holland (b) May 14, 1986, Tokyo

1986 - Pan Music (France), PMC 1103 (CD)

1986 - Pan Music (Japan), 50 XB 107/108 (2 CD)

1986 - Presence/Pan Music (Japan), ALZ-28006 (LP - tracks 6-4-2-7)

2000 - Videoarts Music (Japan), VACM-1156 (2CD)

Edited by naos

This is my fav Lacy. Actually four of my fav musicians getting together. Recorded live at one of the greatest concerts that happened in Japan in the 80s. I have been regretting to this day that I did NOT go to the concert!! Still remember having seen the flyer....

Bura Bura / Masahiko Togashi

Masahiko Togashi (perc), Steve Lacy (ss), Don Cherry (tp, p, vo), Dave Holland (b) May 14, 1986, Tokyo

1986 - Pan Music (France), PMC 1103 (CD)

1986 - Pan Music (Japan), 50 XB 107/108 (2 CD)

1986 - Presence/Pan Music (Japan), ALZ-28006 (LP - tracks 6-4-2-7)

2000 - Videoarts Music (Japan), VACM-1156 (2CD)

Looks very interesting, evn though I don't kow Togashi (making it even more intriguing). Will search for it.

• 2 months later...

I had my first sampling of Lacy a few weeks ago with Reflections: Plays the Music of Thelonious Monk. This is a greaaaaaaaat album! Elvin isn't quite "there" yet, but Mal Waldron is absolutely on fire.

I also have Evidence (picked both up at an OJC binge last year) and will finally check it out in a few days -- if it's half as good I'm in for a treat.

Guy

A Lacy recording that I have really been enjoying lately is School Days with Roswell Rudd:

hat578.jpg

It took me a couple of spins to fully get into it, but since then it has been hard to get out of the CD player. Besides Lacy and Rudd, the group features Henry Grimes and Dennis Charles. Allegedly, the session was recorded in 1963. It is worth seeking out. I think it might be OOP again, but you can find copies at www.jazzloft.com. I picked one up for $20 a couple of weeks ago.

One Lacy/Rudd LP for which I have been searching years is Roswell's Blown Bone (Phillips RJ-7490 J rec NYC 3/26/76 3/27/76). I think it was only released in Japan. It is at the top of my list of recordings that should be reissued, simply because it has been impossible to find. Has anyone heard it?

One Lacy/Rudd LP for which I have been searching years is Roswell's Blown Bone (Phillips RJ-7490 J rec NYC 3/26/76 3/27/76).  I think it was only released in Japan. It is at the top of my list of recordings that should be reissued, simply because it has been impossible to find. Has anyone heard it?

I have a copy. Its rarity outshines its musical quality.