Check out this petition and hopefully sign it!

ValerieB

Dear jazz musicians and listeners,

We need your help. Our country has recognized jazz as a "national treasure", yet in many cases, prominent and well-established jazz artists spend their retirement in poverty -- or never retiring at all.

Two years ago in New York, Justice for Jazz Artists! (a project of AFM Local 802) succeeded in getting a tax break passed, benefiting NYC jazz clubs like Birdland, the Blue Note, Iridium and the Jazz Standard. The savings were supposed be directed into pension payments for the musicians that perform at these clubs.

In other words, at NO COST to the clubs, musicians can receive pension contributions for retirement.

Unfortunately, despite early support for the tax break, the club owners have since refused to even discuss the issue with the J4JA! campaign.

Visit the website below and SIGN OUR PETITION to force the clubs to sit down and discuss how to put this money to its proper use -- pension payments to jazz musicians.

http://www.justiceforjazzartists.org/

Thank you,

Valerie Bishop

Am I correct to assume this petiiton is not limited to US cititzens? (Petitions in Germany can only be signed by German citizens, AFAIK.)

Doesn't seem to mention citizenship so on the basis of the good old anglo-saxon principle of 'if it aint specifically mentioned it's not an issue' should be OK, hopefully. :cool:

Edited by sidewinder

I signed - this probably is connected to the general structure of social security system in the US. There is a Künstersozialkasse (artists' social insurance) in Germany, with the state taking over the role of an employer paying 50% of your fees based on your net income as an artist. This ensured me a small, but nevertheless secure pension when I reach my 65th year. Probably all fellow musicians are members, as long they do not have a non-musical job for a basic income. Even now, that I accepted a non-musical job to support me I can stay a member and pay for my pension. That's something every state should have for freelance artists ...

I signed - this probably is connected to the general structure of social security system in the US. There is a Künstersozialkasse (artists' social insurance) in Germany, with the state taking over the role of an employer paying 50% of your fees based on your net income as an artist. This ensured me a small, but nevertheless secure pension when I reach my 65th year. Probably all fellow musicians are members, as long they do not have a non-musical job for a basic income. Even now, that I accepted a non-musical job to support me I can stay a member and pay for my pension. That's something every state should have for freelance artists ...

Such a thing would be regarded as the downfall of civilization in the United States.

Such a thing would be regarded as the downfall of civilization in the United States.

The situation isn't quite as clear-cut as Mike describes it and there are a HUGE amount of snags and injustices (not necessarily concerning musicians but other professions lumped in under "artists") in that system but that's an entirely different story.

Good to hear. Germany gets lots of important things right ! Is that in addition to basic state pension?

Like I said, Sidewinder, that system has its incongruencies. Or could you imagine a system where a situation could very well arise where you could be obliged to pay into it but will definitely NOT get anything out of it because you don't qualify? But again, that could easily occupy a topic of its own. And I hope it will work out far more straightforward to Mike.