JOHN COLTRANE/Chamber's Music (Sonnet records, holland)-

The album was originally released on the West Coast label Jazzwest

Chambers%20Music_thumb%5B7%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

It was recorded in LA when the Miles Davis quintet traveled west. Neither Miles nor Red Garland played on the date.

The album was also released under John Coltrane's name when it was first issued in France on the Polydor label.

• 7 years later...

This album has just been reissued in Japan: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCCU-5883

Is this worth getting? How essential is it? Going by the above comments it must be a fine recording as far as sound is concerned?

By the way, the Japanese disc does not contain the April 1956 session that was tacked onto the domestic BN CD in 1989: https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Chambers-Chambers-Music/release/5137963

my bro, i dont know how the SQ is gonna be on any of those cd versions, but as for the session, its pretty essential esp. if yr into paul chambers solo records

dawg theres multiple early issues of this not counting my foreign issue!

Paul Chambers/Coltrane  Orig DG Mono Flat Edge 1956  Chamber's Music  Plays EX   original!!!!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

****** I  would like to not this is the exact opposite of my advice for Paul Chambers vee jay albums, where the 1st cd versions are 10x better SQ than the original vee-jay discs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got the Blue Note cd from an Amazon seller and haven't listened to it yet but looking at the notes I realized that the 3 cuts from the Transition session are from before Chambers, Philly Joe and Trane joined Miles. Only  Philly Joe had   recorded with him before but only once back in '53.  Tom Wilson seems to have put together most of the first great quintet before Miles did.  I've never read that any of the three had recommended the others to Miles but.....

51 minutes ago, medjuck said:

I just noticed that only 2 Trane discographies I've got access to list this date as being from 1956 not '55 as the cd notes say.  Is there a definitive discography?   

These sessions are listed in the Cuscuna/Ruppli BN Discography.  The "High Step" session is listed as April 20, 1956, and the JazzWest session is listed as March 1956.

OK I just looked in my Pepper Adams discography and not only does it give 1956 as the date but has a couple of quotes from Curtis Fuller that make it clear they thought they were getting Mile's group but Red never showed.  (The quintet was at Storyville that week.)  So just ignore my first posting here.  

IIRC, the engineer on the Chambers Jazz West date made a special effort to record Paul as accurately as possible. I'll have to listen again to see if he succeeded, but I think he took a  good shot at it.

P.S. Damn, I know I used to have that album, but I can't find it on my shelves under "Chambers" or "Coltrane,"

• 4 months later...

The Japanese mini-LP CD of this is excellent, and includes the three tracks with Pepper Adams. It is a good sample of Paul Chambers and Philly Joe in their prime. It is also nice to hear Trane with them, without the trumpet.

Yes, they did make an extra effort to record the bass (two mikes were used) and it paid off.