Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club

king ubu

Does anyone know where to find more information about recordings made at Ronnie Scott's in London?

Lots of music has appeared on Jazz House, more recently some on Candid, as well as on Harkit (all gone now, were they a bootleg operation? I missed out on them completely, too bad about the Rollins discs!)

Wiki has a short and very incomplete list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Scott%27s_Jazz_Club

Also check out the recordings made for the MOLE JAZZ (yes, of the record shop fame) label.

It also seems that some recordings released on Doug Dobell's "77 Records" label at least were made "in cooperation with Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club".

No doubt an internet search will yield many trails.

Good luck!

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Also check out the recordings made for the MOLE JAZZ (yes, of the record shop fame) label.

It also seems that some recordings released on Doug Dobell's "77 Records" label at least were made "in cooperation with Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club".

No doubt an internet search will yield many trails.

Good luck!

I know... I was hoping there was some better site somewhere... the label has no website, wiki is incomplete, amazon's a mess (listing the Jazz House label in several variations)... guess there's no other way than to search and compile, alas.

I remember being present in the house when they recorded Louis Bellson Explosion. Might have been there when George Coleman's Quartet was recorded too ! (was there that particular week).

Quite a few of those Ronnie Scott recordings came out on the Pye label over here (including the Bellson and Coleman).

Edited by sidewinder

I remember being present in the house when they recorded Louis Bellson Explosion. Might have been there when George Coleman's Quartet was recorded too ! (was there that particular week).

Not to be outdone, I was in the Free Trade Hall when the Duke Ellington 70th Birthday Concert was recorded on November 26th 1969. In the band were Hodges, Gonsalves, Carney, Cootie Williams and Cat Anderson. I still remember Duke announcing Rolf Ericson as "all the way from Sweden"!

Come to think of it, have we ever had a "recordings-I-was-at" thread?

• 3 years later...

Getting a chance to see the Mingus Big Band at Ronnie Scott's next month. Needless to say, my first time there and looking forward to it!

Anything I need to know beforehand - seating, arrival time, etc? We bought "Standard Seating" tix for a Wed early show, are not eating there, and were thinking of sitting on the right side.

The right hand side is probably best for standard seats but you'll find that your seats will have already been allocated before you arrive. The seats to avoid are those on the left with a restricted view caused by several large pillars. You should also try to avoid being in the gangway, because the waiters run around at such a speed that you can easily be hit by them as they pass. My advice is to get there early and make sure you're happy with the seats before all the others are taken. Ask to be moved if you're not happy.

Looks like it'll be a fun night; I only wish I was in London then to see it.

The right hand side is probably best for standard seats but you'll find that your seats will have already been allocated before you arrive. The seats to avoid are those on the left with a restricted view caused by several large pillars. You should also try to avoid being in the gangway, because the waiters run around at such a speed that you can easily be hit by them as they pass. My advice is to get there early and make sure you're happy with the seats before all the others are taken. Ask to be moved if you're not happy.

Thanks for the insight, Head Man!

One question: when you say 'get there early' - how early for a 7:30 show?

Thanks for the insight, Head Man!

One question: when you say 'get there early' - how early for a 7:30 show?

I would think 7:00 pm should be OK.

7.30 pm start at Ronnies these days? In the past shows at only ever got going around 9-9.30 and the last show (of 4 sets, 2 each band) went on well past midnight. In fact if you wanted a beer for the last show you had to purchase a sandwich (or as a minimum option - a 'biscuit') before they would serve you with it. Good old West-End licensing laws.

I used to quite like sitting on the RHS by the wall as there was that great David Redfern print of Miles in his denim suit looming down up there. Failing that, right up front by the mike was always a good spot (in the lucky eventuality that you got placed there - which I did for Bill Evans' last appearance at the club). Not sure how this equates to the new layout these days though.

Edited by sidewinder

FYI, Sidewinder - for these dates there are 2 shows/night, no opening act. I don't if this is typical or not.

It may well be typical these days. Last time I was at the club was over 10 years ago now and it was before they did the refurbishments, so still the 'original' place, so to speak. It's gone up-market these days and I'm sure that the food will be better. The David Redfern prints (or many of them) are still up on the walls I believe and it would be worth a perusal while you are there. Some real classics... have a great trip.

Edited by sidewinder

• 7 years later...
56 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Is it just me or has the booking at RS's recently become a lot more adventurous?

I think it's been that way for a while now although I might say varied rather than adventurous. Did you have anyone in mind?

I'm seeing Kahil El 'Zabar there next week but he seems to have been included in "Spiritual Jazz" orbit so I'm expecting a younger audience {which isn't difficult compared to me!).  I'm taking advantage of the new early house designed for the more mature Jazz fan....

Edited by mjazzg

24 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I think it's been that way for a while now although I might say varied rather than adventurous. Did you have anyone in mind?

I'm seeing Kahil El 'Zabar there next week but he seems to have been included in "Spiritual Jazz" orbit so I'm expecting a younger audience {which isn't difficult compared to me!).  I'm taking advantage of the new early house designed for the more mature Jazz fan....

It's that (I'm going to the later one designed for the parent of young and restive children) and the Myra Melford.

There are a couple of others too that, whilst not exactly Evan Parker, are at least at the more interesting end of mainstream jazz. 

I'd stopped checking Ronnie Scott's but it is generally looking interesting.

On 5/11/2011 at 0:11 PM, brownie said:

The Harkit Records website.

Some of the records taped at Ronnie Scott's are still listed!

Harkit is a shady bootlegger that uses audience recordings and doesn’t pay royalties. Sonny Rollins took charge and began selling downloads of their releases of his music.

Edited by Ken Dryden
Damned autocorrect typo

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's that (I'm going to the later one designed for the parent of young and restive children) and the Myra Melford.

There are a couple of others too that, whilst not exactly Evan Parker, are at least at the more interesting end of mainstream jazz. 

I'd stopped checking Ronnie Scott's but it is generally looking interesting.

Yes, the Melford was very tempting too.  Something I'd expect at South Bank or Vortex in its heyday

Edited by mjazzg